enabling ide-scsi - Debian

This is a discussion on enabling ide-scsi - Debian ; Does anyone see a problem w/ enabling the ide-scsi module for etch, sid, trunk, etc? #467291 claims its needed for ide-tape devices and udev includes a rule for this case. I'd been hesitant to enable this in etch for fear ...

  1. enabling ide-scsi

    Does anyone see a problem w/ enabling the ide-scsi module for etch,
    sid, trunk, etc? #467291 claims its needed for ide-tape devices and
    udev includes a rule for this case. I'd been hesitant to enable this
    in etch for fear that making this module available would lead to it
    getting loaded/used unintentionally for cd writing. But from what I
    can tell, this would only happen if explicitly configured by the user.

    --
    dann frazier

  2. Re: enabling ide-scsi

    On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 03:14:12PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
    > Does anyone see a problem w/ enabling the ide-scsi module for etch,
    > sid, trunk, etc? #467291 claims its needed for ide-tape devices and
    > udev includes a rule for this case. I'd been hesitant to enable this
    > in etch for fear that making this module available would lead to it
    > getting loaded/used unintentionally for cd writing. But from what I
    > can tell, this would only happen if explicitly configured by the user.

    i don't see it enabled in the generic fedora config,
    maybe kyle can ack that statement?

  3. Re: enabling ide-scsi

    On 28 Mar at 21:14 dann frazier wrote in message
    <20080328211411.GE20319@ldl.fc.hp.com>

    > Does anyone see a problem w/ enabling the ide-scsi module for etch, sid,
    > trunk, etc? #467291 claims its needed for ide-tape devices and udev
    > includes a rule for this case. I'd been hesitant to enable this in etch
    > for fear that making this module available would lead to it getting
    > loaded/used unintentionally for cd writing. But from what I can tell, this
    > would only happen if explicitly configured by the user.

    Well, fixing ide-tape would be a better long-term solution, but as that's
    upstream, unfixed for years, enabling ide-scsi is prrobably the more
    pragmatic solution.

    I have ide-scsi built/loaded into my otherwise standard etch system to drive
    my tape, but it is not interfering with CD burning.

    --
    Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
    Buckinghamshire, England

  4. Re: enabling ide-scsi

    On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 03:14:12PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
    > Does anyone see a problem w/ enabling the ide-scsi module for etch,
    > sid, trunk, etc?

    Yes. Two modules claiming the same devices is a bad idea.

    Bastian

    --
    There are always alternatives.
    -- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3

  5. Re: enabling ide-scsi

    On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 10:04:54PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
    > On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 03:14:12PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
    > > Does anyone see a problem w/ enabling the ide-scsi module for etch,
    > > sid, trunk, etc?

    > Yes. Two modules claiming the same devices is a bad idea.

    I would agree if both were automatically loaded, but as far as I can
    tell udev would only load ide-scsi if an ide-tape device is
    discovered, and would never load ide-tape.

    --
    dann frazier

  6. Re: enabling ide-scsi

    On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 02:10:50PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
    > > Yes. Two modules claiming the same devices is a bad idea.

    > I would agree if both were automatically loaded, but as far as I can
    > tell udev would only load ide-scsi if an ide-tape device is
    > discovered, and would never load ide-tape.

    According to the aliases, it should only load ide-tape, never ide-scsi:
    | MODULE_ALIAS("ide:*m-tape*");

    Bastian

    --
    But Captain -- the engines can't take this much longer!

  7. Re: enabling ide-scsi

    On 1 Apr at 21:46 Bastian Blank wrote in message
    <20080401204655.GA4340@wavehammer.waldi.eu.org>

    > On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 02:10:50PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
    > > > Yes. Two modules claiming the same devices is a bad idea.

    > > I would agree if both were automatically loaded, but as far as I can
    > > tell udev would only load ide-scsi if an ide-tape device is discovered,
    > > and would never load ide-tape.

    > According to the aliases, it should only load ide-tape, never ide-scsi: |
    > MODULE_ALIAS("ide:*m-tape*");
    >
    > Bastian

    The point is that ide-tape is broken. #327355. If necessary, get rid of
    ide-tape, not ide-scsi, or fix the former.