2.6.24 boot floppy - Debian

This is a discussion on 2.6.24 boot floppy - Debian ; The boot floppy is overfull again with 2.6.24 on i386, which has as usual put on weight: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1395992 Dec 21 10:47 vmlinuz-2.6.23-1-686 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1455832 Feb 11 11:33 vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-686 I don't know how 59 ...

  1. 2.6.24 boot floppy

    The boot floppy is overfull again with 2.6.24 on i386, which has as
    usual put on weight:

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1395992 Dec 21 10:47 vmlinuz-2.6.23-1-686
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1455832 Feb 11 11:33 vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-686

    I don't know how 59 kb of space can be freed up in the initrd (which is
    113 kb all told). We could again drop the boot logo, as well as dropping
    all the syslinux help screens, and switch to upx --best, but that still
    leaves it 40 kb too large.

    (BTW, arn't we supposed to test builds when updating the installer
    to use a new kernel version?)

    --
    see shy jo

  2. Re: 2.6.24 boot floppy

    Quoting Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org):
    > The boot floppy is overfull again with 2.6.24 on i386, which has as

    I was just about to report this..:-)

    --

  3. Re: 2.6.24 boot floppy

    On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 01:37:01PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
    > The boot floppy is overfull again with 2.6.24 on i386, which has as
    > usual put on weight:

    Thank you for bringing this 2 months after the release. 2.6.25 is at rc7
    so you have 2 or 3 weeks to propose changes to this version.

    I see two possible changes for now:
    CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION=y
    CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y

    Bastian

    --
    You're dead, Jim.
    -- McCoy, "Amok Time", stardate 3372.7

  4. Re: 2.6.24 boot floppy

    Bastian Blank wrote:
    > I see two possible changes for now:
    > CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION=y

    geodes are still in use AFAIK..

    > CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y

    The current root floppy is an ext2 filesystem. So for this to help,
    we'd have to make the disk image be the initramfs cpio without an
    encapsulating filesystem. Could work..

    --
    see shy jo

  5. Re: 2.6.24 boot floppy

    On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 10:03:30PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
    > Bastian Blank wrote:
    > > I see two possible changes for now:
    > > CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION=y

    > geodes are still in use AFAIK..

    Which geodes? At least wikipedia does not show lack of FPU.

    > > CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y

    > The current root floppy is an ext2 filesystem. So for this to help,
    > we'd have to make the disk image be the initramfs cpio without an
    > encapsulating filesystem. Could work..

    And it can be compressed.

    Bastian

    --
    Each kiss is as the first.
    -- Miramanee, Kirk's wife, "The Paradise Syndrome",

  6. Re: 2.6.24 boot floppy

    Bastian Blank wrote:
    > Which geodes? At least wikipedia does not show lack of FPU.

    I could be wrong, I thought my openbrick didn't have a FPU, but I can't
    check. Can't keep up with x86 hardware.

    > > > CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y

    > > The current root floppy is an ext2 filesystem. So for this to help,
    > > we'd have to make the disk image be the initramfs cpio without an
    > > encapsulating filesystem. Could work..

    > And it can be compressed.

    It already is compressed.

    --
    see shy jo

  7. Re: 2.6.24 boot floppy

    Bastian Blank wrote:
    > > > CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y

    > > The current root floppy is an ext2 filesystem. So for this to help,
    > > we'd have to make the disk image be the initramfs cpio without an
    > > encapsulating filesystem. Could work..

    I've implemented this. Please modularise ext2.

    --
    see shy jo

  8. Re: 2.6.24 boot floppy

    On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 11:04:54AM +0200, sferriol wrote:
    > Joey Hess wrote:

    > >I've implemented this. Please modularise ext2.

    > another solution is to code init in C

    For which problem?

    Bastian

    --
    You! What PLANET is this!
    -- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0

  9. Re: 2.6.24 boot floppy

    Bastian Blank wrote:
    > Commited. Should be available with tomorrow snapshots. Please report
    > back ASAP.

    With today's snapshot, it's still too large. 22kb still needs to be
    trimmed from somewhere.

    Dropping klibc sh and rewriting init as a custom klibc executable would
    probably save about 25kb..

    --
    see shy jo

  10. Re: 2.6.24 boot floppy

    Joey Hess wrote:
    > Dropping klibc sh and rewriting init as a custom klibc executable would
    > probably save about 25kb..

    Done, new C init is about 3kb, and once klibc sh, mkdir, and mknod are
    removed and a kernel with modular ext2 used, and all the syslinux help
    screens dropped, it fits. Barely. Less than 1k free.. :-/

    A few things can still be done to reduce size. Embedding mount, umount,
    cat, gunzip, and cpio code in the init binary and statically linking it
    to klibc would probably save 30 kb or so. (This would also allow upxing
    init.)

    --
    see shy jo

  11. Re: 2.6.24 boot floppy

    On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:56:34PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
    > Joey Hess wrote:
    > > Dropping klibc sh and rewriting init as a custom klibc executable would
    > > probably save about 25kb..

    > Done, new C init is about 3kb, and once klibc sh, mkdir, and mknod are
    > removed and a kernel with modular ext2 used, and all the syslinux help
    > screens dropped, it fits. Barely. Less than 1k free.. :-/
    >
    > A few things can still be done to reduce size. Embedding mount, umount,
    > cat, gunzip, and cpio code in the init binary and statically linking it
    > to klibc would probably save 30 kb or so. (This would also allow upxing
    > init.)

    I have not done much research yet, but would another compression
    algorithm than gzip be an option?

    I know that people from the OpenWRT project are using kernel compressed
    with LZMA, as you can see in the wl500g loader¬*[1].

    Now that init has now been rewritten in C, it might also be easier to
    switch to another decompression engine. That would probably help us to
    make a little more room for the next kernel size increase…
    Any comments?

    [1]¬*http://wl500g.dyndns.org/loader/

    Cheers,
    --
    Jérémy Bobbio .''`.
    lunar@debian.org : :‚í∂ : # apt-get install anarchism

  12. Re: 2.6.24 boot floppy

    On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 02:54:14PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
    > With today's snapshot, it's still too large. 22kb still needs to be
    > trimmed from somewhere.

    With some optimizations which I won't accept for a non-di image:
    | -rw-r----- 1 waldi waldi 1421596 3. Apr 10:26 bzImage.orig
    | -rw-r----- 1 waldi waldi 1306108 3. Apr 10:35 bzImage.test

    Bastian

    --
    ... bacteriological warfare ... hard to believe we were once foolish
    enough to play around with that.

  13. Re: 2.6.24 boot floppy

    On Thursday 03 April 2008, Bastian Blank wrote:
    > On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 02:54:14PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
    > > With today's snapshot, it's still too large. 22kb still needs to be
    > > trimmed from somewhere.

    > With some optimizations which I won't accept for a non-di image:
    > | -rw-r----- 1 waldi waldi 1421596 3. Apr 10:26 bzImage.orig
    > | -rw-r----- 1 waldi waldi 1306108 3. Apr 10:35 bzImage.test

    110kB is very nice. What's the .config diff for that?

    I guess we're talking about a special flavor either for the installer then?

    Or maybe we could use this just as a special kernel for floppy installs if
    that kernel is still ABI compatible with modules from the 486 flavor.

  14. Re: 2.6.24 boot floppy

    On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 11:36:27AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
    > On Thursday 03 April 2008, Bastian Blank wrote:
    > > With some optimizations which I won't accept for a non-di image:
    > > | -rw-r----- 1 waldi waldi 1421596 3. Apr 10:26 bzImage.orig
    > > | -rw-r----- 1 waldi waldi 1306108 3. Apr 10:35 bzImage.test

    > 110kB is very nice.

    New sizes:
    | -rw-r----- 1 waldi waldi 1421820 3. Apr 11:56 size1/arch/x86/boot/bzImage
    | -rw-r----- 1 waldi waldi 1298748 3. Apr 12:30 size2/arch/x86/boot/bzImage

    > What's the .config diff for that?

    Disable AUDIT, PARAVIRT_GUEST, SECURITY, SECURITY_FILE_CAPABILITIES.
    Make PACKET, UNIX modular.

    > I guess we're talking about a special flavor either for the installer then?

    Yes. There is just one problem, I won't build a deb for it.

    > Or maybe we could use this just as a special kernel for floppy installs if
    > that kernel is still ABI compatible with modules from the 486 flavor.

    Nope. Two large changes (PARAVIRT, SECURITY) are ABI incompatible.

    Bastian

    --
    Is truth not truth for all?
    -- Natira, "For the World is Hollow and I have Touched

  15. Re: 2.6.24 boot floppy

    On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 12:33:29PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
    > | -rw-r----- 1 waldi waldi 1421820 3. Apr 11:56 size1/arch/x86/boot/bzImage
    > | -rw-r----- 1 waldi waldi 1298748 3. Apr 12:30 size2/arch/x86/boot/bzImage

    | -rw-r----- 1 waldi waldi 1287036 3. Apr 12:41 size2/arch/x86/boot/bzImage

    > > What's the .config diff for that?

    > Disable AUDIT, PARAVIRT_GUEST, SECURITY, SECURITY_FILE_CAPABILITIES.
    > Make PACKET, UNIX modular.

    Disable CGROUPS, GROUP_SCHED, USER_SCHED, SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2, *_NS.

    Bastian

    --
    Where there's no emotion, there's no motive for violence.
    -- Spock, "Dagger of the Mind", stardate 2715.1

+ Reply to Thread