corrupt zip/tar archives in the repository? - Debian

This is a discussion on corrupt zip/tar archives in the repository? - Debian ; While recursively unpacking source archives in the debian repository (see [1]), I noticed a small number of packages that contain corrupt zip/tgz archives. Logs from unpacking them are available from: http://josefsson.org/broken-debian-origs/ The error messages are mixed in the output due ...

  1. corrupt zip/tar archives in the repository?

    While recursively unpacking source archives in the debian repository
    (see [1]), I noticed a small number of packages that contain corrupt
    zip/tgz archives. Logs from unpacking them are available from:

    http://josefsson.org/broken-debian-origs/

    The error messages are mixed in the output due to different buffering
    for stdout vs stderr. Searching for ' ' helps to find the real errors.

    A dd-list of the 14 packages is included below.

    Some of the corrupt archives may actually be appropriate. I could
    imagine that a corrupt archive can be included in a package to test
    regressions for a compressor, or similar self-test reasons. However,
    that should be the exception, and I think the majority (if not all) of
    these packages actually contains unintentionally corrupt archives.

    Some of the corrupt archives is the *.orig.tar.gz archive itself, and
    before noticing that this was a generic problem I reported this against
    the 'e3' package, see
    .

    This problem could also be due to bugs in tar, gzip or unzip, although I
    find that somewhat unlikely.

    I think it would be nice if there weren't corrupt archives in the
    package pool, but I'm not sure if others consider this a real problem.

    What do you think about reporting these as wishlist bugs?

    Thanks,
    /Simon

    [1] http://git.josefsson.org/?p=debian-r....git;a=summary

    Daniel Leidert (dale)
    apbs (U)

    Masayuki Hatta (mhatta)
    blender
    blender (U)

    Michael Banck
    apbs (U)

    Fathi Boudra
    strigi (U)

    Ludovic Brenta
    gnat-glade

    Adrian Bridgett
    xstarfish

    Cyril Brulebois
    blender (U)

    Paul Cager
    maven2 (U)

    LI Daobing
    apbs (U)

    Debian Java Maintainers
    maven2

    Debian KDE Extras Team
    strigi

    Debichem Team
    apbs

    Dirk Eddelbuettel
    r-cran-xml

    Turbo Fredriksson
    roxen4

    Thomas Goirand
    dtc

    Wouter van Heyst
    blender (U)

    Georges Khaznadar
    wims-extra

    Bastian Kleineidam
    optcomplete

    Mark Purcell
    strigi (U)

    Roger So
    im-sdk
    im-sdk (U)

    Akira TAGOH
    im-sdk (U)

    Wouter Verhelst
    nbd

    Paweł Więcek
    e3

  2. Re: corrupt zip/tar archives in the repository?

    On 28/03/2008, Simon Josefsson wrote:
    > What do you think about reporting these as wishlist bugs?

    Hi, thanks for the report; but that won't be needed (although of course
    I wouldn't mind) for the following package:

    > Masayuki Hatta (mhatta)
    > blender
    > blender (U)
    >
    > Cyril Brulebois
    > blender (U)
    >
    > Wouter van Heyst
    > blender (U)

    I'm on my way to report it to upstream already (which already ships some
    .svn/ in the tarball).

    Cheers,

    --
    Cyril Brulebois

  3. Mass bug filing: corrupt zip/tar archives in the repository?

    There weren't much response on this. I'll go through these bugs now and
    file them as wishlist bugs. Any objections?

    /Simon