new source package format in dpkg-dev - Debian

This is a discussion on new source package format in dpkg-dev - Debian ; Hello, yesterday I merged all the work we did in the "sourcev3" branch in the master branch of dpkg. It means it will be in the next dpkg upload. My last call for test[1] didn't lead to any feedback at ...

  1. new source package format in dpkg-dev

    Hello,

    yesterday I merged all the work we did in the "sourcev3" branch in the
    master branch of dpkg. It means it will be in the next dpkg upload.

    My last call for test[1] didn't lead to any feedback at all, which is a pity
    given the length of the discussion we had about patch management. I'm
    pretty sure people are interested in the topic... and it's important to
    make sure that the new code in dpkg-source respond to most of the feature
    requests that people had.

    So please try it out, I built a package here:
    http://people.debian.org/~hertzog/pa....14.17_all.deb

    The dpkg-source manual page contains all the relevant information about
    the new formats. In particular I want feedback on the "3.0 (quilt)" format
    which I'd like to promote as the standard format for non-native packages
    in lenny+1. It would be particularly interesting to try it out on quilt
    using packages and see if packages can be switched "transparently" or if
    we need some transition plan. In theory at least, it shoud be transparent
    provided that quilt was available at unpack time (so that the quilt
    metadata are available and the patch rule becomes a no-op instead of
    trying to reapply patches that have been already applied).

    Of course, if you notice any regression in the default behaviour for
    the current source package format, please tell me as well.

    This code is going to be uploaded to unstable RSN, when Guillem has
    finished merging the triggers functionnality. (Maybe we'll put it in
    experimental for a few days first, but that's not decided yet)

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Cheers,

    [1] http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2008/03/16/n...all-for-tests/
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/.../msg00155.html
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/.../msg00166.html
    --
    Raphaël Hertzog

  2. Re: new source package format in dpkg-dev

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
    > My last call for test[1] didn't lead to any feedback at all, which is a pity
    > given the length of the discussion we had about patch management. I'm
    > pretty sure people are interested in the topic... and it's important to
    > make sure that the new code in dpkg-source respond to most of the feature
    > requests that people had.

    Ok, some people told me that they have no idea what this is all about and
    they won't install the package to discover it... so here are some other
    elements.

    First the updated dpkg-source manual page:
    http://people.debian.org/~hertzog/dpkg-source.html

    Then among the new features we have:
    - source package with multiple .orig tarball (gz/bz2/lzma) associated to a
    debian tarball
    - automatic application of patches listed in debian/patches/(debian\.)?series
    - automatic generation of a new patch at the end of the series if local
    modifications have been done (this means the NMU workflow works: unpack,
    modifiy, build gives a sane result and even keep the changes of each
    upload separate)
    - support of binary files anywhere in the source tree (you can drop in a
    new debian-specific icon for instance, add its path to
    debian/source/include-binaries, and it will be included in the
    source package, possibly overriding the corresponding upstream file)

    - we also have experimental VCS-based formats (git and bzr, thanks to Joey
    Hess and Colin Watson)