dpkg triggers, dpkg hijack - Debian

This is a discussion on dpkg triggers, dpkg hijack - Debian ; Since my semi-hijack on the 9th of March, Guillem has been hard at work repainting the bikeshed. He's been reorganising the changes between pre- and post-triggers dpkg into a different series of patches and no doubt reformatting the code too. ...

  1. dpkg triggers, dpkg hijack

    Since my semi-hijack on the 9th of March, Guillem has been hard at
    work repainting the bikeshed. He's been reorganising the changes
    between pre- and post-triggers dpkg into a different series of patches
    and no doubt reformatting the code too.

    I'm sure we'll all agree that this work is all vital. It is essential
    that the bikeshed is painted according to this baroque and
    multicoloured masterpiece (which Guillem is putting lots of time into)
    rather than my plain shade of dull brown (finished months ago).

    The bikeshed colour scheme is obviously more important than:
    * Triggers
    * Breaks support in dselect
    * Numerous bugfixes

    All of which could have been uploaded weeks ago if the ftpmasters
    were willing not to stand in the way of my hijack. [1]

    The bikeshed colour scheme is also more important than:
    * Time for package maintainers to deploy triggers
    * Time for testing the new triggers functionality

    That work could have started seven months ago if they had been able
    to stomach my rather boring shade of brown.

    I apologise for boring everyone with this again. But it has been two
    more weeks and Guillem is still nowhere near finishing his artwork.
    There has also been no effort by Guillem or Raphael to negotiate with
    me; they have ignored my postings to debian-dpkg.

    Ian.

    [1] The package, 1.15.2, is still available here:
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/dpkg/
    It's all ready and signed and everything. All that is needed is for
    someone to ftp it to incoming, and for the ftpmasters to accept it.

  2. Re: dpkg triggers, dpkg hijack

    On jeu, 2008-03-27 at 19:23 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
    > I apologise for boring everyone with this again.

    Good. Please stop doing it then.

    --
    .''`.
    `- our own. Resistance is futile.

  3. Re: dpkg triggers, dpkg hijack

    Ian Jackson wrote:

    > I apologise for boring everyone with this again. But it has been two
    > more weeks and Guillem is still nowhere near finishing his artwork.
    > There has also been no effort by Guillem or Raphael to negotiate with
    > me; they have ignored my postings to debian-dpkg.

    If I was approached with the same aggressive tone that I'm seeing in
    your mails here, I'd ignore you too.

    Your work may be technically sound but you really need to improve your
    communication skills.

    In your position, I'd probably be afraid of receiving the "Joerg
    Schilling award".

    Also, I'm waiting for your proposals (or even actions!) for resolving
    the problems that the Technical Committee is facing, as you previously
    mentioned.
    You are, after all, the oldest member of the commitee and the only one
    that ignored its existence because of those "problems", so far.

    Regards,
    Faidon

  4. Re: dpkg triggers, dpkg hijack

    Faidon Liambotis wrote:

    > In your position, I'd probably be afraid of receiving the "Joerg
    > Schilling award".

    The "Sven Luther award" may be more appropriate; time will tell.

    JB.

    --
    Julien BLACHE - Debian & GNU/Linux Developer -

    Public key available on - KeyID: F5D6 5169

  5. Re: dpkg triggers, dpkg hijack

    Le Thursday 27 March 2008 21:54:24 Julien BLACHE, vous avez écrit*:
    > Faidon Liambotis wrote:
    > > In your position, I'd probably be afraid of receiving the "Joerg
    > > Schilling award".

    > The "Sven Luther award" may be more appropriate; time will tell.

    Can you stop posting such irrelevant and provocative mails ?

    Romain
    --
    The rich man's wealth is his strong city:
    the destruction of the poor is their poverty.

+ Reply to Thread