[noreply@henning.makholm.net: e2fsprogs 1.40.8-2 MIGRATED to testing] - Debian

This is a discussion on [noreply@henning.makholm.net: e2fsprogs 1.40.8-2 MIGRATED to testing] - Debian ; Hi, I wasn't the one who requested that e2fsprogs 1.40.8-2 get migrated from unstable to testing. So hopefully you guys were expecting it; I believe you had requested that I coordinate with you before new versions of e2fsprogs hit testing, ...

  1. [noreply@henning.makholm.net: e2fsprogs 1.40.8-2 MIGRATED to testing]

    Hi,

    I wasn't the one who requested that e2fsprogs 1.40.8-2 get migrated
    from unstable to testing. So hopefully you guys were expecting it; I
    believe you had requested that I coordinate with you before new
    versions of e2fsprogs hit testing, so there wouldn't be as many issues
    with the debian installer?

    Regards,

    - Ted

  2. Re: [noreply@henning.makholm.net: e2fsprogs 1.40.8-2 MIGRATED to testing]

  3. Re: [noreply@henning.makholm.net: e2fsprogs 1.40.8-2 MIGRATED to testing]

    On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:31:50PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > Hi Ted,
    >
    > > I wasn't the one who requested that e2fsprogs 1.40.8-2 get migrated
    > > from unstable to testing. So hopefully you guys were expecting it; I
    > > believe you had requested that I coordinate with you before new
    > > versions of e2fsprogs hit testing, so there wouldn't be as many issues
    > > with the debian installer?

    > Yes, we were expecting it but now we need to get it synced (udebs) on it
    > too. Please wait until I or Jeroen reply to this saying it's safe to upload.

    Remind me again what the constrints are? Is it a problem before
    e2fsprogs gets uploaded to unstable, or when it goes from unstable to
    testing? Which distribution do you synchronize against?

    Thanks, regards,

    - Ted

  4. Re: [noreply@henning.makholm.net: e2fsprogs 1.40.8-2 MIGRATED to testing]

    Theodore Tso writes:

    > On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:31:50PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    >> Hi Ted,
    >>
    >> > I wasn't the one who requested that e2fsprogs 1.40.8-2 get migrated
    >> > from unstable to testing. So hopefully you guys were expecting it; I
    >> > believe you had requested that I coordinate with you before new
    >> > versions of e2fsprogs hit testing, so there wouldn't be as many issues
    >> > with the debian installer?

    >> Yes, we were expecting it but now we need to get it synced (udebs) on it
    >> too. Please wait until I or Jeroen reply to this saying it's safe to upload.

    > Remind me again what the constrints are? Is it a problem before
    > e2fsprogs gets uploaded to unstable, or when it goes from unstable to
    > testing? Which distribution do you synchronize against?

    We synchronize the udeb binaries of testing with unstable. When the
    packages goes to testing the udeb doesn't go automaticaly and it need
    to be done by a ftpmaster (Jeroen is who usually does it for us).

    If you update the unstable package it cannot be done that way anymore
    and sometimes is even impossible to us to sync until the next version
    is ready to go to testing. That's why we ask for people to wait.

    --
    O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
    E-mail: otavio@debian.org UIN: 5906116

  5. Re: [noreply@henning.makholm.net: e2fsprogs 1.40.8-2 MIGRATED to testing]

    On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:10:33AM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > We synchronize the udeb binaries of testing with unstable. When the
    > packages goes to testing the udeb doesn't go automaticaly and it need
    > to be done by a ftpmaster (Jeroen is who usually does it for us).
    >
    > If you update the unstable package it cannot be done that way anymore
    > and sometimes is even impossible to us to sync until the next version
    > is ready to go to testing. That's why we ask for people to wait.

    Is this is a fair summary of the situation?

    * Once a new version goes to testing, I should ping you guys to make
    sure you know to synchronize the udebs

    * I should avoid uploading a new version to unstable during the time
    window between when a new version gets migrated to testing,
    and when you tell me that you have grabbed the udebs and
    synchronized them.

    And this is because at the moment, although the .deb files are
    migrated automatically, the .udeb files aren't, and so if I upload a
    new unstable version, the .udeb files for the version that was just
    migrated to testing will get lost forever. (I assume that there's
    some reason that modifying the script which performs the migration
    from unstable to testing is more complicated than it first appears,
    which is why this step is being done manually.)

    Do I have this right?

    Thanks, regards,

    - Ted

  6. Re: e2fsprogs 1.40.8-2 MIGRATED to testing

    On Wednesday 26 March 2008, Theodore Tso wrote:
    > * Once a new version goes to testing, I should ping you guys to make
    > sure you know to synchronize the udebs

    That's not really needed as we have to give an OK for any migration anyway.

    > * I should avoid uploading a new version to unstable during the time
    > window between when a new version gets migrated to testing,
    > and when you tell me that you have grabbed the udebs and
    > synchronized them.

    Well, I think a more workable workflow would be: avoid uploading a new
    version to unstable within the first week after a migration. If one is
    needed, then please contact the d-boot list first.
    I feel that if we have not managed to do the migration inside a week, it's
    our own damn fault.

    > And this is because at the moment, although the .deb files are
    > migrated automatically, the .udeb files aren't, and so if I upload a
    > new unstable version, the .udeb files for the version that was just
    > migrated to testing will get lost forever.

    Correct. There is a grace period of a few days, but after that they are
    effectively lost.

    > (I assume that there's
    > some reason that modifying the script which performs the migration
    > from unstable to testing is more complicated than it first appears,
    > which is why this step is being done manually.)

    It is somewhat complicated as udebs effectively live in a separate
    repository, don't have full dependency checking and migrations can in
    certain cases break an existing D-I release for some installation methods.

    There is a proposal for better Britney support for udebs, but that's waiting
    for someone brave to implement:
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-relea.../msg00086.html

    Cheers,
    FJP

  7. Re: [noreply@henning.makholm.net: e2fsprogs 1.40.8-2 MIGRATED to testing]

    Theodore Tso writes:

    > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:10:33AM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    >> We synchronize the udeb binaries of testing with unstable. When the
    >> packages goes to testing the udeb doesn't go automaticaly and it need
    >> to be done by a ftpmaster (Jeroen is who usually does it for us).
    >>
    >> If you update the unstable package it cannot be done that way anymore
    >> and sometimes is even impossible to us to sync until the next version
    >> is ready to go to testing. That's why we ask for people to wait.

    > Is this is a fair summary of the situation?
    >
    > * Once a new version goes to testing, I should ping you guys to make
    > sure you know to synchronize the udebs

    This is a good thing to do so we avoid mistakes from both sides. I
    usually follow the migrations in daily basis so you shouldn't need to
    ping us but you can follow the sync status at:

    http://ftp-master.debian.org/~jeroen/d-i.out

    > * I should avoid uploading a new version to unstable during the time
    > window between when a new version gets migrated to testing,
    > and when you tell me that you have grabbed the udebs and
    > synchronized them.
    >
    > And this is because at the moment, although the .deb files are
    > migrated automatically, the .udeb files aren't, and so if I upload a
    > new unstable version, the .udeb files for the version that was just
    > migrated to testing will get lost forever. (I assume that there's
    > some reason that modifying the script which performs the migration
    > from unstable to testing is more complicated than it first appears,
    > which is why this step is being done manually.)
    >
    > Do I have this right?

    Yes.

    Usually giving us few days to sync things are enough. This is more
    serious when we're near of release and then those migrations has
    potential to delay the installer release.

    - --
    O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
    E-mail: otavio@debian.org UIN: 5906116
    GNU/Linux User: 239058 GPG ID: 49A5F855