Re: [RFC] Removal of System.map files of kernel udebs - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: [RFC] Removal of System.map files of kernel udebs - Debian ; Otavio Salvador wrote: > Today Martin broght a question on IRC about System.map files being > installed on kernel udebs and thinking about it looks like it's > useless for us. Why do you think it's useless? - If System.map ...

  1. Re: [RFC] Removal of System.map files of kernel udebs

    Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > Today Martin broght a question on IRC about System.map files being
    > installed on kernel udebs and thinking about it looks like it's
    > useless for us.

    Why do you think it's useless?

    - If System.map is included in the kernel image udeb, pass it to depmod
    via -F and delete it when done. This is to support building on systems
    running 2.6.
    - Add a kernel to the demo image type, because this is necessary to get
    the System.map so depmod will work on 2.6.
    - copy System.map to $(TEMP) instead of deleting it, I understand sparc
    needs this

    Have you tested on all architectures?

    What about the code in build/Makefile that handles System.map, shouldn't
    it also be removed?

    --
    see shy jo

  2. Re: [RFC] Removal of System.map files of kernel udebs

    Joey Hess writes:

    > Otavio Salvador wrote:
    >> Today Martin broght a question on IRC about System.map files being
    >> installed on kernel udebs and thinking about it looks like it's
    >> useless for us.

    > Why do you think it's useless?
    >
    > - If System.map is included in the kernel image udeb, pass it to depmod
    > via -F and delete it when done. This is to support building on systems
    > running 2.6.
    > - Add a kernel to the demo image type, because this is necessary to get
    > the System.map so depmod will work on 2.6.
    > - copy System.map to $(TEMP) instead of deleting it, I understand sparc
    > needs this
    >
    > Have you tested on all architectures?

    Sure not. I've asked here to know if it's used.

    > What about the code in build/Makefile that handles System.map, shouldn't
    > it also be removed?

    If we go with removing it yes .. but as you spot above it looks really
    useful.

    --
    O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
    E-mail: otavio@debian.org UIN: 5906116