where to register TeX related software with doc-base? - Debian

This is a discussion on where to register TeX related software with doc-base? - Debian ; Sorry if this has been answered before, but looking at section 2.3.3 of the doc-base manual (version 0.8.10) I cannot find a section TeX. If memory serves me right we used to have a section "tex", at least I used ...

  1. where to register TeX related software with doc-base?

    Sorry if this has been answered before, but looking at section 2.3.3 of
    the doc-base manual (version 0.8.10) I cannot find a section TeX. If
    memory serves me right we used to have a section "tex", at least I
    used to register the docs of some my TeX-related packages there :-)
    Has this section been removed on purpose? If yes, where should
    TeX-related documenation go now?

    -Ralf.

  2. Re: where to register TeX related software with doc-base?

    Ralf Treinen writes:

    > Sorry if this has been answered before, but looking at section 2.3.3 of
    > the doc-base manual (version 0.8.10) I cannot find a section TeX. If
    > memory serves me right we used to have a section "tex", at least I
    > used to register the docs of some my TeX-related packages there :-)
    > Has this section been removed on purpose? If yes, where should
    > TeX-related documenation go now?

    Good question; with the currently declared hierarchy, I'd suggest
    Programming/TeX, but I acknowledge that that's still not entirely
    intuitive.

    http://www.mit.edu/~amu/ | http://stuff.mit.edu/cgi/finger/?amu@monk.mit.edu

  3. Re: where to register TeX related software with doc-base?

    Aaron M. Ucko debian.org> writes:

    > Ralf Treinen free.fr> writes:
    >
    > > Sorry if this has been answered before, but looking at section 2.3.3 of
    > > the doc-base manual (version 0.8.10) I cannot find a section TeX. If
    > > memory serves me right we used to have a section "tex", at least I
    > > used to register the docs of some my TeX-related packages there
    > > Has this section been removed on purpose? If yes, where should
    > > TeX-related documenation go now?

    > Good question; with the currently declared hierarchy, I'd suggest
    > Programming/TeX, but I acknowledge that that's still not entirely
    > intuitive.

    It would be utterly wrong.

    The problem with doc-base, at least in the state where I last had a look, was
    that it was built along the menu structure (be it debian menus or freedesktop or
    whatever), and that simply doesn't cover TeX. I think we just used TeX in
    tetex-bin in sarge, and I'm not sure whether we register documentation for
    texlive at all. And I cannot check, since I'm on holiday, sitting in an Internet
    cafe only to transfer pictures from my camera to a memory stick...

    Regards, Frank