Lenny beta install for KDE - Debian

This is a discussion on Lenny beta install for KDE - Debian ; I downloaded the new Lenny beta cd named debian-testing-i386-kde-CD-1.iso http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/le...6-kde-CD-1.iso I installed it on a test machine. During the install it asked for the "Default Display Manager" and gave me a choice of GDM or KDM. I replied KDM. It ...

  1. Lenny beta install for KDE

    I downloaded the new Lenny beta cd named debian-testing-i386-kde-CD-1.iso
    http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/le...6-kde-CD-1.iso

    I installed it on a test machine. During the install it asked for the "Default Display Manager" and
    gave me a choice of GDM or KDM. I replied KDM. It looked like it was installing both KDE and GNOME
    desktops. After the reboot the KDE sign on screen was displayed. When I signed on a GNOME desktop
    came up.

    I would prefer it to just install KDE and not both. Is that possible with Lenny? The etch kde-CD-1
    only installed KDE by default.

    Now that I have both installed how do I get to the KDE desktop? I would like to run kpackage to
    uninstall gnome.

    I think that having it kde-CD-1 disk install both by default is a regression. What package should I
    file a bug on?

    Thank you,
    --
    Stephen Frazier
    Information Technology Unit

  2. Re: Lenny beta install for KDE

    Stephen Frazier wrote:
    > I downloaded the new Lenny beta cd named
    > debian-testing-i386-kde-CD-1.iso
    > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/le...6-kde-CD-1.iso
    >

    > I installed it on a test machine. During the install it asked for the
    > "Default Display Manager" and gave me a choice of GDM or KDM. I replied
    > KDM. It looked like it was installing both KDE and GNOME desktops. After
    > the reboot the KDE sign on screen was displayed. When I signed on a
    > GNOME desktop came up.
    >
    > I would prefer it to just install KDE and not both. Is that possible
    > with Lenny? The etch kde-CD-1 only installed KDE by default.
    >
    > Now that I have both installed how do I get to the KDE desktop? I would
    > like to run kpackage to uninstall gnome.

    KDM has a menu, and, if KDE is installed, it should be one of the menu
    options.

    > I think that having it kde-CD-1 disk install both by default is a
    > regression. What package should I file a bug on?
    >
    > Thank you,

  3. Re: Lenny beta install for KDE

    Hi

    > Now that I have both installed how do I get to the KDE desktop? I
    > would like to run kpackage to
    > uninstall gnome.

    Have a go at ....

    'apt-get install kdm kde koffice'

    Usually sorts everything out

    --
    Richard
    www.sheflug.org.uk

  4. Re: Lenny beta install for KDE

    On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Stephen Frazier
    wrote:

    > I would prefer it to just install KDE and not both. Is that possible with
    > Lenny? The etch kde-CD-1
    > only installed KDE by default.

    http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/le...86-netinst.iso

    With netinst cd, you can just install KDE no other gtk-gnome stuff.

    When you start installing, installer asks you what package groups to
    install, choose the standart system and deselect all including Desktop.
    Installer will only install the core system. After installation and
    rebooting, system prompt you for username and password.

    Become root and run:

    apt-get install x-window-system-core kde kdm

    That's it. You have your "just" KDE desktop.

  5. Re: Lenny beta install for KDE

    Hi

    > Now that I have both installed how do I get to the KDE desktop? I
    > would like to run kpackage to
    > uninstall gnome.

    Have a go at ....

    'apt-get install kdm kde koffice'

    Usually sorts everything out

    --
    Richard
    www.sheflug.org.uk

  6. Re: Lenny beta install for KDE

    Thank you that almost worked. It got me a KDE desktop. I also needed K3B and openoffice.org-kde but
    I was able to install those with Kpackage.

    Osman Aksit wrote:

    > On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Stephen Frazier > > wrote:
    >

    > I would prefer it to just install KDE and not both. Is that possible
    > with Lenny? The etch kde-CD-1
    > only installed KDE by default.
    >

    > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/le...86-netinst.iso
    >
    > With netinst cd, you can just install KDE no other gtk-gnome stuff.
    >
    > When you start installing, installer asks you what package groups to
    > install, choose the standart system and deselect all including Desktop.
    > Installer will only install the core system. After installation and
    > rebooting, system prompt you for username and password.
    >
    > Become root and run:
    >
    > ||apt-get install x-window-system-core kde kdm
    >
    > That's it. You have your "just" KDE desktop.

    --
    Stephen Frazier
    Information Technology Unit
    Oklahoma Department of Corrections
    3400 Martin Luther King
    Oklahoma City, Ok, 73111-4298
    Tel.: (405) 425-2549
    Fax: (405) 425-2554
    Pager: (405) 690-1828
    email: stevef%doc.state.ok.us

  7. Re: Lenny beta install for KDE

    Am Freitag, 21. März 2008 21:07:30 schrieb Osman Aksit:
    > On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Stephen Frazier
    >
    > wrote:
    > > I would prefer it to just install KDE and not both. Is that possible with
    > > Lenny? The etch kde-CD-1
    > > only installed KDE by default.

    > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/le...debian-testing
    >-i386-netinst.iso
    >
    > With netinst cd, you can just install KDE no other gtk-gnome stuff.
    >
    > When you start installing, installer asks you what package groups to
    > install, choose the standart system and deselect all including Desktop.
    > Installer will only install the core system. After installation and
    > rebooting, system prompt you for username and password.
    >
    > Become root and run:
    >
    > apt-get install x-window-system-core kde kdm
    >
    > That's it. You have your "just" KDE desktop.

    Another way is to simply add desktop="kde" to the boot prompt, like 'expert
    desktop="kde"'. Tip stands in one of the F-Pages on CD-Boot.
    Stefan

  8. Re: Lenny beta install for KDE

    On Friday 21 March 2008, Stephen Frazier wrote:
    > Now that I have both installed how do I get to the KDE desktop?

    at the gdm screen you should be able to choose the session type, choose kde
    instead of default for the session type

    (running the command 'update-alternatives --config x-session-manager' as
    root allows you to set the default session type)

    > I think that having it kde-CD-1 disk install both by default is a
    > regression. What package should I file a bug on?

    tasksel I'm guessing as this seems to be a problem with the task definition
    --
    Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)

  9. Re: Lenny beta install for KDE

    This is a known problem. The installer errata covers it. It has
    been dealt with in the daily builds.