Monitor network traffic - Debian

This is a discussion on Monitor network traffic - Debian ; Hello, I am using a gateway based on Ubuntu. Users can authenticate on it and gets a route to the internet. Now I am looking for a tool which will monitor the traffic every users causes. It should log the ...

  1. Monitor network traffic

    Hello,

    I am using a gateway based on Ubuntu. Users can authenticate on it and
    gets a route to the internet.
    Now I am looking for a tool which will monitor the traffic every users
    causes. It should log the throughput over time for every ip address and
    show it in graphs.
    I thought about nagios or cacti, but at the moment I think it won't fit
    my needs.
    Maybe iptraf could do what I want, but I need access through a web browser.

    Thanks in advance.

    Thomas

  2. Re: Monitor network traffic

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:35:01 +0100,
    Thomas wrote:

    > I am using a gateway based on Ubuntu. Users can authenticate on it
    > and gets a route to the internet.

    Out of interest, what are you using to handle that?

    I'm trying to figure out how to set up shared a Vista box so that each
    user (and preferably the system in stuff), have their own separate
    traffic stats on my gateway so I can split the bill properly.

    Fredderic

  3. Re: Monitor network traffic

    Fredderic wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:35:01 +0100,
    > Thomas wrote:
    >
    >> I am using a gateway based on Ubuntu. Users can authenticate on it
    >> and gets a route to the internet.

    > Out of interest, what are you using to handle that?
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out how to set up shared a Vista box so that each
    > user (and preferably the system in stuff), have their own separate
    > traffic stats on my gateway so I can split the bill properly.
    >

    > Fredderic

    I am offering an internet access for a few people. To keep the network
    running (slow provider bandwidth i.e. 6 MBit) every client has to follow
    some rules. But to locate power users I want to know the used bandwidth
    over the time. So I can react on their behavior. I.e. they should not
    start big downloads in the rush hour.

    But I think I found a very powerful tool which could fit my needs. It's
    ntop, I'm actually trying this.

    Thomas

  4. Re: Monitor network traffic

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 03:19:32 +1000, Fredderic wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:35:01 +0100,
    > Thomas wrote:
    >
    >> I am using a gateway based on Ubuntu. Users can authenticate on it and
    >> gets a route to the internet.

    > Out of interest, what are you using to handle that?
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out how to set up shared a Vista box so that each
    > user (and preferably the system in stuff), have their own separate
    > traffic stats on my gateway so I can split the bill properly.
    >

    > Fredderic

    There's a good piece on using iptables to monitor bandwidth usage here:
    http://www.linux.com/articles/50649

    Dave

    --
    Registered Linux user # 444770
    "Winners never quit..neither do sociopaths."

+ Reply to Thread