7.10 --> Update [199 items] --> reboot --> "network connectivity lost" - Debian

This is a discussion on 7.10 --> Update [199 items] --> reboot --> "network connectivity lost" - Debian ; 7.10 --> Update [199 items] --> reboot --> "network connectivity lost" Any fixes for this? I had not internet connectivity to my MiniPC until I swapped the USB and Ethernet connectors. The router is a Comcast ARRIS Cable Modem -- ...

  1. 7.10 --> Update [199 items] --> reboot --> "network connectivity lost"

    7.10 --> Update [199 items] --> reboot --> "network connectivity lost"

    Any fixes for this?

    I had not internet connectivity to my MiniPC until I swapped the USB and
    Ethernet connectors.
    The router is a Comcast ARRIS Cable Modem -- it works fine for my PC
    (Vista).

    ==========
    Other problems
    ==========
    Logging into a user account takes 3x longer with the patches in place.
    Turning off services makes little if any difference.
    Behavior otherwise can be sluggish.

    ========
    Error logs
    ========
    All I get inthe /var/log/daemon.log are persistent errors with text:

    No DHCPOFFERS recived.
    No working leases in permanent database.
    DCHPDISCOVER on ethX to 255.255.255.255 // X = 1 or 0

    One oddball:
    In vaInINinInrtwrt twert AllMar ... No DHCPOFFERS recived

  2. Re: 7.10 --> Update [199 items] --> reboot --> "network connectivitylost"

    On Mar 19, 2:56 am, "Max Power" wrote:
    > 7.10 --> Update [199 items] --> reboot --> "network connectivity lost"
    >
    > Any fixes for this?

    No, becouse there is prob. a configuration problem. How is /etc/
    network/interfaces set up? (use 'cat /etc/network/interfaces' in a
    terminal window to see it's contents)

    What does command '/sbin/ifconfig' shows?

    What does command 'lspci' shows?
    What does command 'lsusb' and 'lsusb -t' shows?

    Which device have you you network cable connected to?

    > I had not internet connectivity to my MiniPC until I swapped the USB and
    > Ethernet connectors.
    > The router is a Comcast ARRIS Cable Modem -- it works fine for my PC
    > (Vista).

    Hm, I don't understand you network setup...

    > ==========
    > Other problems
    > ==========
    > Logging into a user account takes 3x longer with the patches in place.
    > Turning off services makes little if any difference.
    > Behavior otherwise can be sluggish.

    Could be problems becouse of your network problem.

    > ========
    > Error logs
    > ========
    > All I get inthe /var/log/daemon.log are persistent errors with text:
    >
    > No DHCPOFFERS recived.
    > No working leases in permanent database.
    > DCHPDISCOVER on ethX to 255.255.255.255 // X = 1 or 0
    >
    > One oddball:
    > In vaInINinInrtwrt twert AllMar ... No DHCPOFFERS recived

    All that means that the computer can't connect to a network thet can
    tell it which IP-number it should use (this is usefull information).
    It allso show us that you have two ethernet connections. What type/
    model is it on those? Commands earlier will tell us that. But not
    which one you want to use.

    Answer the questions, and we might be able to help you on this.

    Good luck

    PS:
    Please do not crosspost to many groups, it's not concidered good
    netiqet.
    DS:

  3. Re: 7.10 --> Update [199 items] --> reboot --> "networkconnectivity lost"

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:56:15 -0700
    "Max Power" wrote:

    > One oddball:
    > In vaInINinInrtwrt twert AllMar ... No DHCPOFFERS recived

    Which is why you are slow. You get not networking.
    Wireless or wired?

    --
    Live & let live, or leave.
    :-)

  4. Re: 7.10 --> Update [199 items] --> reboot --> "network connectivity lost" (NETWORKING)

    I am wired via USB and Ethernet.
    No modem, landline or wireless.

    >> One oddball:
    >> In vaInINinInrtwrt twert AllMar ... No DHCPOFFERS recived

    > Which is why you are slow. You get not networking.
    > Wireless or wired?

  5. Re: 7.10 --> Update [199 items] --> reboot --> "network connectivitylost" (NETWORKING)

    On Mar 20, 5:58 am, "Max Power" wrote:
    > I am wired via USB and Ethernet.
    > No modem, landline or wireless.

    (Please, do not top post, it's not polite)

    Why do you use two wired ethernet connections?
    And stil, when do we get the info I asked about?

    > >> One oddball:
    > >> In vaInINinInrtwrt twert AllMar ... No DHCPOFFERS recived

    > > Which is why you are slow. You get not networking.

    Yes, network problems can result in a slow computer.

    --
    Good luck

  6. Re: 7.10 --> Update [199 items] --> reboot --> "network connectivity lost" %% /etc/network/interfaces

    ==========================
    > No, becouse there is prob. a configuration problem. How is /etc/
    > network/interfaces set up? (use 'cat /etc/network/interfaces' in a
    > terminal window to see it's contents)

    $cat /etc/network/interfaces -->
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    iface eth0 inet dhcp

    auto eth0

    auto eth1 inet dhcp
    auto eth1

    > What does command '/sbin/ifconfig' shows?

    a lot of info
    "UP BROADCST MULTICAST"
    +
    " UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST"
    +
    "UP BROADCAST"
    +
    "UP LOOPBACK RUNNING"

    > What does command 'lspci' shows?

    A whole lot of text, but the IEEE1394 and Ethernet controller show up.
    Some 5 USB controllers show up.
    Some 6 host bridges show up.
    A PCI bridge and 2 IDE interfaces show up.
    And a VGA controller.

    > What does command 'lsusb' and 'lsusb -t' shows?

    [lsusb -t]
    Cannot upen /proc/bus/usb/devices, No such file or directory (2)

    [lsusb]
    Bus 05 Dev 01: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 03 : ID
    Bus 02 Dev 04: UD 09c1:1337 Arris Interactive LLC
    Bus 02 Dev 01: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 04 Dev 01:
    Bus 01 Dev 01:

    ==> Leading 0's omitted from the bus and device numbers; surplus repeated ID
    0000:0000 not typed in.

    > Which device have you you network cable connected to?

    USB, but I am consiering moving back to the Ethernet cable -- but I don't
    know if that will do any good either.

    >> I had not internet connectivity to my MiniPC until I swapped the USB and
    >> Ethernet connectors.
    >> The router is a Comcast ARRIS Cable Modem -- it works fine for my PC
    >> (Vista).

    > Hm, I don't understand you network setup...
    >
    >> ==========
    >> Other problems
    >> ==========
    >> Logging into a user account takes 3x longer with the patches in place.
    >> Turning off services makes little if any difference.
    >> Behavior otherwise can be sluggish.

    > Could be problems becouse of your network problem.
    >
    >> ========
    >> Error logs
    >> ========
    >> All I get inthe /var/log/daemon.log are persistent errors with text:
    >>
    >> No DHCPOFFERS recived.
    >> No working leases in permanent database.
    >> DCHPDISCOVER on ethX to 255.255.255.255 // X = 1 or 0
    >>
    >> One oddball:
    >> In vaInINinInrtwrt twert AllMar ... No DHCPOFFERS recived

    > All that means that the computer can't connect to a network thet can
    > tell it which IP-number it should use (this is usefull information).
    > It allso show us that you have two ethernet connections. What type/
    > model is it on those? Commands earlier will tell us that. But not
    > which one you want to use.
    >
    > Answer the questions, and we might be able to help you on this.

  7. Re: 7.10 --> Update [199 items] --> reboot --> "network connectivitylost" %% /etc/network/interfaces

    On Mar 23, 2:00 am, "Max Power" wrote:
    > >> 7.10 --> Update [199 items] --> reboot --> "network connectivity lost"
    > >> Any fixes for this?

    > ==========================
    >
    > > No, becouse there is prob. a configuration problem. How is /etc/
    > > network/interfaces set up? (use 'cat /etc/network/interfaces' in a
    > > terminal window to see it's contents)

    > $cat /etc/network/interfaces -->
    > auto lo
    > iface lo inet loopback
    >
    > iface eth0 inet dhcp
    >
    > auto eth0
    >
    > auto eth1 inet dhcp
    > auto eth1

    Ok, lo is there, and it MUST allways be there.
    Then you have two internet devices started automaticly when you boot
    (auto say which to start)
    These two is eth0 and eth1. You use DHCP to automaticly get IP
    settings from your router (or where you run a DHCP-daemon).

    If there is non, you will not get a working network device. Look
    into /var/log/daemon.log and/or /var/log/messages to see if you get
    messages from the dhcp programs when your network devices starts (use
    commmand more in a text window to get the start of the log files.
    After that, you can us 'last -F _files_', where _files_ is a list of
    files that you will see the latest changes in with that command. Use
    'man last' for more information.

    If it not telling it get an IP address, there is your problem.

    > > What does command '/sbin/ifconfig' shows?

    > a lot of info
    > "UP BROADCST MULTICAST"
    > +
    > " UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST"
    > +
    > "UP BROADCAST"
    > +
    > "UP LOOPBACK RUNNING"

    This was not much information...
    This is a full listing.

    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:08:74:ADD:1C
    inet addr:130.243.6.21 Bcast:130.243.6.127 Mask:
    255.255.255.128
    inet6 addr: 2001:6b0:23:1006:208:74ff:fead:dd1c/64
    Scope:Global
    inet6 addr: fe80::208:74ff:fead:dd1c/64 Scope:Link
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
    RX bytes:2891571345 (2.6 GiB) TX bytes:257237151 (245.3
    MiB)
    Base address:0xdcc0 Memory:ff6e0000-ff700000

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:554361549 (528.6 MiB) TX bytes:554361549 (528.6
    MiB)

    And here is the most important parts:

    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:08:74:ADD:1C
    inet addr:130.243.6.21 Bcast:130.243.6.127 Mask:
    255.255.255.128
    inet6 addr: 2001:6b0:23:1006:208:74ff:fead:dd1c/64
    Scope:Global
    inet6 addr: fe80::208:74ff:fead:dd1c/64 Scope:Link

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

    What do you have?

    > > What does command 'lspci' shows?

    > A whole lot of text, but the IEEE1394 and Ethernet controller show up.
    > Some 5 USB controllers show up.
    > Some 6 host bridges show up.
    > A PCI bridge and 2 IDE interfaces show up.
    > And a VGA controller.

    And what does the Ethernet controller (and IEEE1394) say, exactly?
    My computer has this (no firewire on this one):

    02:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit
    Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

    > > What does command 'lsusb' and 'lsusb -t' shows?

    > [lsusb -t]
    > Cannot upen /proc/bus/usb/devices, No such file or directory (2)
    >
    > [lsusb]
    > Bus 05 Dev 01: ID 0000:0000
    > Bus 03 : ID
    > Bus 02 Dev 04: UD 09c1:1337 Arris Interactive LLC
    > Bus 02 Dev 01: ID 0000:0000
    > Bus 04 Dev 01:
    > Bus 01 Dev 01:
    >
    > ==> Leading 0's omitted from the bus and device numbers; surplus repeated ID
    > 0000:0000 not typed in.

    IDevices except ID 0000:0000 ones are the important ones. Lines with
    ID 0000:0000 can be left out.
    But copy/paste is the easy way.

    > > Which device have you you network cable connected to?

    > USB, but I am consiering moving back to the Ethernet cable -- but I don't
    > know if that will do any good either.

    Try it. It's an very easy test to do. Have a look at the log files
    while you do this. It will/could help you understand what porblems
    there is.

    > >> I had not internet connectivity to my MiniPC until I swapped the USB and
    > >> Ethernet connectors.
    > >> The router is a Comcast ARRIS Cable Modem -- it works fine for my PC
    > >> (Vista).

    > > Hm, I don't understand you network setup...

    > >> ==========
    > >> Other problems
    > >> ==========
    > >> Logging into a user account takes 3x longer with the patches in place.
    > >> Turning off services makes little if any difference.
    > >> Behavior otherwise can be sluggish.

    > > Could be problems becouse of your network problem.

    > >> ========
    > >> Error logs
    > >> ========
    > >> All I get inthe /var/log/daemon.log are persistent errors with text:

    > >> No DHCPOFFERS recived.
    > >> No working leases in permanent database.
    > >> DCHPDISCOVER on ethX to 255.255.255.255 // X = 1 or 0

    > >> One oddball:
    > >> In vaInINinInrtwrt twert AllMar ... No DHCPOFFERS recived

    > > All that means that the computer can't connect to a network thet can
    > > tell it which IP-number it should use (this is usefull information).
    > > It allso show us that you have two ethernet connections. What type/
    > > model is it on those? Commands earlier will tell us that. But not
    > > which one you want to use.

    > > Answer the questions, and we might be able to help you on this.

    This look ok. Your computer is trying to get an answer from an DHCP-
    server which IP-settings it should use. Unless it gets an answer, you
    will not get any network connections at all.
    Could be that you have not allowed your DHCP-server to give your
    computer a IP number. Or you do not have any DHCP-server at all in
    your network. Check your router.

    It could also be that you have problems with your ethernet cabels.
    Could you change those all together?

    You could remove the "auto ethX" from /etc/network/interfaces, where X
    is the interface number of you ethernet device you don't want to use.
    This will make your computer spend less time try to connect to
    internet on a non connected device, which will give you a faster
    computer.

    So in short. It looks like your computer is set up right (at least in
    most cases). You have problems with getting an DHCP-answer to your
    computer.
    Usally the DHCP-server is in your routert/hardware firewall. So check
    that out.

  8. Re: 7.10 --> Update [199 items] --> reboot --> "network connectivity lost" %% /etc/network/interfaces

    "Max Power" schreef in bericht
    > $cat /etc/network/interfaces -->
    > auto lo
    > iface lo inet loopback
    >

    > iface eth0 inet dhcp
    >
    > auto eth0
    >
    > auto eth1 inet dhcp
    > auto eth1

    Late response ...

    Are you sure about 'auto eth1 inet dhcp,'
    'iface eth1 inet dhcp' sound more sane to me.

    The order of lines hould not be a concern, though I've never seen otherwise:
    put 'auto ethx' (just) above 'iface ethx ..'

    .... just 2 cnt

    HansH

+ Reply to Thread