kernel 2.6.24 & speakup - Debian

This is a discussion on kernel 2.6.24 & speakup - Debian ; Hello, Otavio Salvador, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 15:06:58 -0300, a écrit : > Samuel Thibault writes: > > Mario Lang, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 17:28:32 +0100, a écrit : > >> Samuel Thibault writes: > >> > (speakup ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

  1. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    Hello,

    Otavio Salvador, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 15:06:58 -0300, a écrit :
    > Samuel Thibault writes:
    > > Mario Lang, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 17:28:32 +0100, a écrit :
    > >>
    > >> linux-modules-extra-2.6 seems like the perfect place for speakup, now that it
    > >> does not require the kernel to be patched anymore.

    > > Well, a small patch is still needed, but it just boils down to
    > > GPL-exporting 4 symbols, and that is already in the -mm tree, so
    > > backporting it to the debian kernel shouldn't be a problem..

    > It would be nice if you could talk to Debian Kernel Team (just added
    > it to cc list)

    Oh, right, it was still not included.

    > and see if this could be added for next 2.6.24 upload
    > or later. That would allow the module to be build from
    > linux-modules-extra-2.6 and later to be added to d-i if needed.

    Basically, all is needed is to

    git clone http://linux-speakup.org/speakup.git

    Apply patches/kernel-integration-2.6.24-source.patch to the main kernel
    source to GPL-export 4 symbols, and then run

    make $(cat allmodules.mk) SUBDIRS=$PWD -C /some/where/linux-whatever

    from src/

    Samuel

  2. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    Hello,

    Otavio Salvador, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 15:06:58 -0300, a écrit :
    > Samuel Thibault writes:
    > > Mario Lang, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 17:28:32 +0100, a écrit :
    > >>
    > >> linux-modules-extra-2.6 seems like the perfect place for speakup, now that it
    > >> does not require the kernel to be patched anymore.

    > > Well, a small patch is still needed, but it just boils down to
    > > GPL-exporting 4 symbols, and that is already in the -mm tree, so
    > > backporting it to the debian kernel shouldn't be a problem..

    > It would be nice if you could talk to Debian Kernel Team (just added
    > it to cc list)

    Oh, right, it was still not included.

    > and see if this could be added for next 2.6.24 upload
    > or later. That would allow the module to be build from
    > linux-modules-extra-2.6 and later to be added to d-i if needed.

    Basically, all is needed is to

    git clone http://linux-speakup.org/speakup.git

    Apply patches/kernel-integration-2.6.24-source.patch to the main kernel
    source to GPL-export 4 symbols, and then run

    make $(cat allmodules.mk) SUBDIRS=$PWD -C /some/where/linux-whatever

    from src/

    Samuel

  3. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 06:50:01PM +0000, Samuel Thibault wrote:
    > Samuel Thibault, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 18:39:54 +0000, a écrit :
    > > Apply patches/kernel-integration-2.6.24-source.patch to the main kernel
    > > source to GPL-export 4 symbols,

    > Note: by that, I mean to pick that patch into the regular linux-2.6
    > kernel. That patch is already in the -mm tree actually.

    once it is in next we can maybe backport, other wise we'll just pick it
    up when merged. 2.6.24 window is closed anyway.

  4. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 06:50:01PM +0000, Samuel Thibault wrote:
    > Samuel Thibault, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 18:39:54 +0000, a écrit :
    > > Apply patches/kernel-integration-2.6.24-source.patch to the main kernel
    > > source to GPL-export 4 symbols,

    > Note: by that, I mean to pick that patch into the regular linux-2.6
    > kernel. That patch is already in the -mm tree actually.

    once it is in next we can maybe backport, other wise we'll just pick it
    up when merged. 2.6.24 window is closed anyway.

  5. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Samuel Thibault wrote:
    > Frans Pop, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 19:29:56 +0100, a écrit :
    > > (Please don't CC me on list mail.)

    > Then tell your mailer to use followup-to

    That's an unofficial (or at least fairly recent) header that unfortunately
    my MUA does not support.
    However, the mailing list policy is quite clear on how list mail should be
    replied to, completely independent on how m-f-t is set to.
    If m-f-t (or reply-to) is set, you should honor it. But if it is not set,
    you should follow the mailing list rules.

    > > On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Samuel Thibault wrote:
    > > > The idea is to compile the speakup module out-of-tree but still
    > > > include it in d-i.

    > > Why would you want to compile a module that is in-tree as an
    > > out-of-tree module?

    > Mmm, maybe I don't understand what you mean by "in-tree".

    Out-of-tree: not included in official upstream kernel source
    In-tree: included in upstream kernel source

    > The idea is not to compile speakup built into the kernel, but just as a
    > module, and then it doesn't need to be integrated to the kernel build
    > system,

    Compiling it into the kernel is not what I'm talking about. It definitely
    should be built as a module, but as it is part of the upstream kernel, it
    should be built just like any other regular module and included in
    linux-image-2.6.X-Y-.
    If it is included in the kernel source, there is absolutely no reason to
    build it as part of a separate source package. In fact, that would be plain
    dumb.

    > but just be compiled separately, just like exmap, ndiswrapper, spca5xx
    > etc.

    The reason they are in linux-modules extra is exactly because they are _not_
    included in the official upstream kernel source, and thus need to be in a
    different source package.
    If you wanted speakup to be in linux-modules-extra, you should not have sent
    your patches to lkml for inclusion...

  6. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    maximilian attems, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 20:13:30 +0100, a écrit :
    > On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 06:50:01PM +0000, Samuel Thibault wrote:
    > > Samuel Thibault, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 18:39:54 +0000, a écrit :
    > > > Apply patches/kernel-integration-2.6.24-source.patch to the main kernel
    > > > source to GPL-export 4 symbols,

    > > Note: by that, I mean to pick that patch into the regular linux-2.6
    > > kernel. That patch is already in the -mm tree actually.

    > once it is in next

    "in next"?

    > we can maybe backport, other wise we'll just pick it
    > up when merged.

    Ah, but it will probably not happen before 2.5.26 since it didn't make
    it into 2.5.25, whose window is closed since a long time now.

    > 2.6.24 window is closed anyway.

    You mean the upstream or the Debian?

    Samuel

  7. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    maximilian attems, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 20:13:30 +0100, a écrit :
    > On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 06:50:01PM +0000, Samuel Thibault wrote:
    > > Samuel Thibault, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 18:39:54 +0000, a écrit :
    > > > Apply patches/kernel-integration-2.6.24-source.patch to the main kernel
    > > > source to GPL-export 4 symbols,

    > > Note: by that, I mean to pick that patch into the regular linux-2.6
    > > kernel. That patch is already in the -mm tree actually.

    > once it is in next

    "in next"?

    > we can maybe backport, other wise we'll just pick it
    > up when merged.

    Ah, but it will probably not happen before 2.5.26 since it didn't make
    it into 2.5.25, whose window is closed since a long time now.

    > 2.6.24 window is closed anyway.

    You mean the upstream or the Debian?

    Samuel

  8. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    Frans Pop, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 20:44:03 +0100, a écrit :
    > > The idea is not to compile speakup built into the kernel, but just as a
    > > module, and then it doesn't need to be integrated to the kernel build
    > > system,

    > Compiling it into the kernel is not what I'm talking about. It definitely
    > should be built as a module, but as it is part of the upstream kernel,

    It is not part of the upstream kernel.

    > > but just be compiled separately, just like exmap, ndiswrapper, spca5xx
    > > etc.

    > The reason they are in linux-modules extra is exactly because they are _not_
    > included in the official upstream kernel source, and thus need to be in a
    > different source package.
    > If you wanted speakup to be in linux-modules-extra, you should not have sent
    > your patches to lkml for inclusion...

    Speakup didn't got to lkml for inclusion. Only the notifier part did,
    and it's now available in Debian. The few still needed export symbols
    didn't get through however, so a very light patch is still needed (see
    attachement).

    Samuel

  9. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    Frans Pop, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 20:44:03 +0100, a écrit :
    > > The idea is not to compile speakup built into the kernel, but just as a
    > > module, and then it doesn't need to be integrated to the kernel build
    > > system,

    > Compiling it into the kernel is not what I'm talking about. It definitely
    > should be built as a module, but as it is part of the upstream kernel,

    It is not part of the upstream kernel.

    > > but just be compiled separately, just like exmap, ndiswrapper, spca5xx
    > > etc.

    > The reason they are in linux-modules extra is exactly because they are _not_
    > included in the official upstream kernel source, and thus need to be in a
    > different source package.
    > If you wanted speakup to be in linux-modules-extra, you should not have sent
    > your patches to lkml for inclusion...

    Speakup didn't got to lkml for inclusion. Only the notifier part did,
    and it's now available in Debian. The few still needed export symbols
    didn't get through however, so a very light patch is still needed (see
    attachement).

    Samuel

  10. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 06:39:54PM +0000, Samuel Thibault wrote:
    > make $(cat allmodules.mk) SUBDIRS=$PWD -C /some/where/linux-whatever

    First: s/SUBDIRS/M/.
    Second:
    | $ make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-1-powerpc M=$(pwd) $(cat allmodule.mk)
    | make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-1-powerpc'
    | CC [M] /home/waldi/linux/speakup/src/synth.o
    | /home/waldi/linux/speakup/src/synth.c:20:58: error: asm-ppc/pc_serial.h: No such file or directory
    | make[1]: *** [/home/waldi/linux/speakup/src/synth.o] Error 1
    | make: *** [_module_/home/waldi/linux/speakup/src] Error 2
    | make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-1-powerpc'

    asm-ppc is so legacy that this hurts.

    Bastian

    --
    You can't evaluate a man by logic alone.
    -- McCoy, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3

  11. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 06:39:54PM +0000, Samuel Thibault wrote:
    > make $(cat allmodules.mk) SUBDIRS=$PWD -C /some/where/linux-whatever

    First: s/SUBDIRS/M/.
    Second:
    | $ make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-1-powerpc M=$(pwd) $(cat allmodule.mk)
    | make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-1-powerpc'
    | CC [M] /home/waldi/linux/speakup/src/synth.o
    | /home/waldi/linux/speakup/src/synth.c:20:58: error: asm-ppc/pc_serial.h: No such file or directory
    | make[1]: *** [/home/waldi/linux/speakup/src/synth.o] Error 1
    | make: *** [_module_/home/waldi/linux/speakup/src] Error 2
    | make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-1-powerpc'

    asm-ppc is so legacy that this hurts.

    Bastian

    --
    You can't evaluate a man by logic alone.
    -- McCoy, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3

  12. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Samuel Thibault wrote:
    > It is not part of the upstream kernel.

    OK. I misunderstood that. My apologies.

    Anyway, it still needs to be included in linux-2.6 and l-e-m before we can
    really discuss inclusion in the installer.
    Having it in l-m-e should not be a problem for us. We already do have other
    modules (loop-aes and squashfs) we take from that.

    Cheers,
    FJP

  13. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Samuel Thibault wrote:
    > It is not part of the upstream kernel.

    OK. I misunderstood that. My apologies.

    Anyway, it still needs to be included in linux-2.6 and l-e-m before we can
    really discuss inclusion in the installer.
    Having it in l-m-e should not be a problem for us. We already do have other
    modules (loop-aes and squashfs) we take from that.

    Cheers,
    FJP

  14. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    Hello,

    Bastian Blank, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 21:22:25 +0100, a écrit :
    > On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 06:39:54PM +0000, Samuel Thibault wrote:
    > > make $(cat allmodules.mk) SUBDIRS=$PWD -C /some/where/linux-whatever

    > First: s/SUBDIRS/M/.

    Oh, right.

    > | $ make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-1-powerpc M=$(pwd) $(cat allmodule.mk)
    > | make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-1-powerpc'
    > | CC [M] /home/waldi/linux/speakup/src/synth.o
    > | /home/waldi/linux/speakup/src/synth.c:20:58: error: asm-ppc/pc_serial.h: No such file or directory
    > | make[1]: *** [/home/waldi/linux/speakup/src/synth.o] Error 1
    > | make: *** [_module_/home/waldi/linux/speakup/src] Error 2
    > | make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-1-powerpc'
    >
    > asm-ppc is so legacy that this hurts.

    Oh, right, I could not test non-x86 archs myself. I've pushed a fix.

    Thanks,
    Samuel

  15. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    Frans Pop, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 21:40:24 +0100, a écrit :
    > On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Samuel Thibault wrote:
    > > It is not part of the upstream kernel.

    > OK. I misunderstood that. My apologies.

    No problem.

    > Anyway, it still needs to be included in linux-2.6 and l-e-m before we can
    > really discuss inclusion in the installer.

    Yes, sure.

    > Having it in l-m-e should not be a problem for us. We already do have other
    > modules (loop-aes and squashfs) we take from that.

    Ok, leaving the debian-boot Cc for now then.

    Samuel

  16. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    Frans Pop, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 21:40:24 +0100, a écrit :
    > On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Samuel Thibault wrote:
    > > It is not part of the upstream kernel.

    > OK. I misunderstood that. My apologies.

    No problem.

    > Anyway, it still needs to be included in linux-2.6 and l-e-m before we can
    > really discuss inclusion in the installer.

    Yes, sure.

    > Having it in l-m-e should not be a problem for us. We already do have other
    > modules (loop-aes and squashfs) we take from that.

    Ok, leaving the debian-boot Cc for now then.

    Samuel

  17. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 07:43:47PM +0000, Samuel Thibault wrote:
    > maximilian attems, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 20:13:30 +0100, a écrit :
    > >
    > > once it is in next

    > "in next"?

    next is the linux tree of things that are ready for the next
    merge window aka 2.6.26 now.

    > > 2.6.24 window is closed anyway.

    > You mean the upstream or the Debian?

    debian, see
    -> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernelP...anceGuidelines

    --
    maks

  18. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 07:43:47PM +0000, Samuel Thibault wrote:
    > maximilian attems, le Tue 25 Mar 2008 20:13:30 +0100, a écrit :
    > >
    > > once it is in next

    > "in next"?

    next is the linux tree of things that are ready for the next
    merge window aka 2.6.26 now.

    > > 2.6.24 window is closed anyway.

    > You mean the upstream or the Debian?

    debian, see
    -> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernelP...anceGuidelines

    --
    maks

  19. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    Frans Pop writes:

    >> > Ah, can't it be a separate package?

    >> Isn't linux-modules-extra-2.6 where all the extra modules belong?
    >> Seems logical to work speakup into the linux-modules-extra-2.6 source
    >> package and have it produce binary packages named speakup-modules-2.6*
    >> like the other module packages in there.
    >>
    >> > (speakup can now be compiled fully independently)

    >> linux-modules-extra-2.6 seems like the perfect place for speakup, now
    >> that it does not require the kernel to be patched anymore.

    > No, linux-modules-* is for out-of-tree modules, NOT for modules that are
    > included in the upstream kernel source.

    speakup is a bunch of out-of-tree modules... Previously, speakup needed
    a patch to the kernel to get its hooks in place. Since 2.6.24, the hooks
    have been merged into upstream sources, but speakup is still an out-of-tree
    project.

    --
    CYa,
    ⡍â*â*—â*Šâ*• | Debian Developer

  20. Re: kernel 2.6.24 & speakup

    Mario Lang écrivait :

    > Samuel Thibault writes:
    >
    > > Frans Pop, le Tue 18 Mar 2008 21:05:30 +0100, a écrit :

    > [...]
    >
    > >> The module will first need to be included in the regular Debian kernelimage
    > >> packages of course.

    > > Ah, can't it be a separate package?

    > Isn't linux-modules-extra-2.6 where all the extra modules belong?
    > Seems logical to work speakup into the linux-modules-extra-2.6 source
    > package and have it produce binary packages named speakup-modules-2.6* like
    > the other module packages in there.
    >
    > > (speakup can now be compiled fully independently)

    > linux-modules-extra-2.6 seems like the perfect place for speakup, now that it
    > does not require the kernel to be patched anymore.
    >
    > --
    > CYa,
    > ⡍â*â*—â*Šâ*• | Debian Developer
    > .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang@db.debian.org
    > : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
    > `. `'
    > `-

    Je suis très heureux de vous accueillir pour toutes les manifestationsque nous organisons:
    - Découvrir avec les mains :
    - Mettre la main sur l'ordinateur; découvrir un environnement sans écran.

    Viva Free Software, LINUX ! ;-)
    Qu'ils avancent et aident tous ceux qui l'attendent ;-)
    Tout ce qu'ils inventent c'est pour s'excuser !
    Le Carrefour numerique de la Cité des sciences et de l'industrie fait la fête et se plonge dans la danse ;-)
    Il s'agit de profiter de manifestation sur les logiciels libres pour tenterde couvrir plus large. Faire bouger les mal-voyants, déplacer les non-voyants, leurs parkings, chiens, ...
    viva carrefourblinux
    rdv : le 19 avril 2008

    Transformer votre PC en centre multimédia avec GNU/Linux.

    À la maison, comme au travail les systèmes GNU/Linux prennent uneplace de plus en plus importante. Venez découvrir les logiciels libres qui transforment votre odinateur en centre multimédia pour partager chez vous la réception de la télévision par satellite, TNT ou câble, vos photos numériques et vos bibliothèques de musiques et vidéos.

    Des associations d’utilisateurs de GNU/Linux s’associent pour vous aider Ã* découvrir, installer, configurer et utiliser un PC multimédia libre, efficace et performant.

    Au programme des ateliers, des démonstrations et des conférences.

    Le principe est simple, vous venez avec l’unité centrale de votre ordinateur, cartes TV, câbles audio et vidéo. Un spécialiste aguérri vous aide Ã* installer le système d’exploitation GNU-Linux de votre choix et Ã* configurer votre centre multimédia. Cette manifestation exceptionnelle sera accompagnée par desconférences autour des logiciels libres.

    Pour bien préparer votre visite, il est vivement conseillé d’aller chercher quelques conseils sur le site web de Parinux

    Pour en savoir plus sur votre futur centre multimédia :
    - MythTV , application dédiée Ã* la sélection et Ã*l’enregistrement des programmes télévisés.
    - KnoppMyth, distribution GNU/Linux basée sur Debian
    - Mythdora, distribution GNU/Linux basée sur Fedora
    - Mythbuntu, distribution GNU/Linux basée sur Ubuntu

    Une autre rencontre spécialement consacrée Ã* l'informatique et les "non-voyants" est en court de programmation. A suivre ... Comment les logiciels ouverts et libres peuvent apporter des réponses aux handicaps ! Comment dire comment chacun peut se sentir handicapé !

    Thomas

    --
    T. homas Sechet
    mobile : 06 82 32 69 81