No CD drive Lenovo 3000 N200 - Debian

This is a discussion on No CD drive Lenovo 3000 N200 - Debian ; Hi all, CD/DVD drive will install system, but not there after install on Lenovo 3000 N200. Have installed various Ubuntu, same problem. No entry for drive in /dev list. Have Ubuntu 7.04 on a desktop, and compared /dev list after ...

  1. No CD drive Lenovo 3000 N200

    Hi all,
    CD/DVD drive will install system, but not there after install on Lenovo
    3000 N200.
    Have installed various Ubuntu, same problem. No entry for drive in /dev
    list.
    Have Ubuntu 7.04 on a desktop, and compared /dev list after install
    using same install CD. Would not recognize the drive after Win XP
    install as well.

    Would anyone know of a work around that may get this working, or am I
    committed to
    an external CD drive?
    Everything else works fine.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Take Care
    Winton

  2. Re: No CD drive Lenovo 3000 N200

    I have the same computer, with the same problem. Booting with
    acpi=off will work -- but not the best solution on a laptop. I've tried
    every kernel configuration this way to sunday with no avail.

    - Matt

    On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 14:28 +1030, squareyes wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > CD/DVD drive will install system, but not there after install on Lenovo
    > 3000 N200.
    > Have installed various Ubuntu, same problem. No entry for drive in /dev
    > list.
    > Have Ubuntu 7.04 on a desktop, and compared /dev list after install
    > using same install CD. Would not recognize the drive after Win XP
    > install as well.
    >
    > Would anyone know of a work around that may get this working, or am I
    > committed to
    > an external CD drive?
    > Everything else works fine.
    > Many thanks in advance.
    > Take Care
    > Winton

  3. Re: No CD drive Lenovo 3000 N200

    Matt Tretin wrote:
    > I have the same computer, with the same problem. Booting with
    > acpi=off will work -- but not the best solution on a laptop. I've tried
    > every kernel configuration this way to sunday with no avail.
    >
    > - Matt
    >
    > On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 14:28 +1030, squareyes wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> CD/DVD drive will install system, but not there after install on Lenovo
    >> 3000 N200.

    Hi,
    I have been told of a possible solution quote below

    "When I was setting up my toshiba satellite I came across this
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Tosh...#Linux_Support gentoo articel.
    there it says the optical drive needs some kernel command parameter (in this case: combined_mode=libata) to work properly."

    Have had 3 suggestions as to where pass this parameter

    /etc/modprobe.d/options

    /boot/grub/menu.lst and look
    for "defoptions"

    /etc/sysctl.conf

    None of the above work, Any suggestions welcome.

    Take Care
    Winton

  4. Re: No CD drive Lenovo 3000 N200

    On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 22:51:01 +1030, squareyes wrote:
    > Matt Tretin wrote:
    >> I have the same computer, with the same problem. Booting with acpi=off
    >> will work -- but not the best solution on a laptop. I've tried
    >> every kernel configuration this way to sunday with no avail.
    >>
    >> - Matt
    >>
    >> On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 14:28 +1030, squareyes wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> CD/DVD drive will install system, but not there after install on
    >>> Lenovo 3000 N200.

    > Hi,
    > I have been told of a possible solution quote below
    >
    > "When I was setting up my toshiba satellite I came across this
    > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Tosh...#Linux_Support
    > gentoo articel.
    > there it says the optical drive needs some kernel command parameter (in this case: combined_mode=libata) to work properly."
    >
    > Have had 3 suggestions as to where pass this parameter
    >
    > /etc/modprobe.d/options
    >
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst and look for "defoptions"
    > /etc/sysctl.conf
    >
    > None of the above work, Any suggestions welcome.

    Are you using Etch? Maybe you need a newer kernel than the default
    2.6.18. You can get newer kernels suitable for installation on Etch from
    www.backports.org or you could try one of Kenshi Muto's updated Debian
    installer images (http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/).

    Florian |