Debian Installer Lenny Beta1: Status Update 4 - Debian

  1. Debian Installer Lenny Beta1: Status Update 4

    Hello,

    Here goes a new status update about release.

    Please respect the reply-to header and please follow up to debian-boot
    mailing list.

    Bellow is the updated timeline:

    +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    | Date | What happens |
    +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    |March 8, 2008 |test of images starts | <=
    +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    |March 12, 2008 |final image builds |
    +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    |March 16, 2008 |planned release date |
    +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+

    We are in good shape for the release. Few pending things to be done
    before final images can be built.

    We are late due the buildd and arm building problems that delayed the
    installer build for much longer then expected and I am considering to
    reduce the "test of images starts" step.

    It would be great if you could try the _daily_ installer images[1]
    (weekly builds are not yet up to date) and report any problem you
    find. It is better to report full installation reports instead of
    contacting us throught mailing list since it provides the needed
    information to identify if it is or not an installer issue.

    There are few things to do for it to be done:

    - get final images built and tested;
    - finish release announcement[2];
    - finish human readable changelog[3];

    The Release Announcement and the Human Redable Changelog proposed
    changes should be send to the mailing list before changed on the wiki
    so we can coordinate them. If you could take a look on them and see if
    you think something need to be changed/added/removed, feel free to
    contact us.

    Cheers,

    1. http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
    2. http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/ReleaseAnnounce
    3. http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstall...ogs/LennyBeta1

    - --
    O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
    E-mail: otavio@debian.org UIN: 5906116
    GNU/Linux User: 239058 GPG ID: 49A5F855
    you the whole house."

  2. Re: Debian Installer Lenny Beta1: Status Update 4

    On Sunday 09 March 2008, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > - finish release announcement[2];

    I have made a few changes in the wiki:
    http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstall...ev2=31&rev1=29

    Two (IMO) important changes I've made:
    - move "issues" section before "plans" section
    - mention to which arches the no longer supported systems belong

    Other comments:
    - The addition of Amharic should be mentioned in the announcement.
    - The announcement should be converted for the website (news section on
    the D-I project page) for the release itself.
    - The announcement contains many subheaders and links. For the website (or
    a wiki) this is fine, but the actual announcement is a plain text e-mail
    and the number of sections and links should probably be reduced for that.

    Cheers,
    FJP

  3. Re: Debian Installer Lenny Beta1: Status Update 4

    Otavio Salvador writes:

    > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    > | Date | What happens |
    > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    > |March 8, 2008 |test of images starts | <=
    > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    > |March 12, 2008 |final image builds |
    > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    > |March 16, 2008 |planned release date |
    > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+

    Currently we're trying to get final images built but the building
    machine has hardware issues and it's being worked on to get it solves
    as soon as possible.

    I'll mail you all once it has been solved and images are available for
    final tests.

    --
    O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
    E-mail: otavio@debian.org UIN: 5906116
    GNU/Linux User: 239058 GPG ID: 49A5F855

  4. Re: Debian Installer Lenny Beta1: Status Update 4

    Otavio Salvador writes:

    > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    > | Date | What happens |
    > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    > |March 8, 2008 |test of images starts | <=
    > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    > |March 12, 2008 |final image builds |
    > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    > |March 16, 2008 |planned release date |
    > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+

    Currently we're trying to get final images built but the building
    machine has hardware issues and it's being worked on to get it solves
    as soon as possible.

    I'll mail you all once it has been solved and images are available for
    final tests.

    --
    O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
    E-mail: otavio@debian.org UIN: 5906116
    GNU/Linux User: 239058 GPG ID: 49A5F855

  5. Re: Debian Installer Lenny Beta1: Status Update 4

    * Otavio Salvador (otavio@debian.org) [080313 02:36]:
    > Otavio Salvador writes:
    >
    > > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    > > | Date | What happens |
    > > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    > > |March 8, 2008 |test of images starts | <=
    > > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    > > |March 12, 2008 |final image builds |
    > > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    > > |March 16, 2008 |planned release date |
    > > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+

    > Currently we're trying to get final images built but the building
    > machine has hardware issues and it's being worked on to get it solves
    > as soon as possible.
    >
    > I'll mail you all once it has been solved and images are available for
    > final tests.

    Is there any update on this? As of now, the final images should be
    available according to your plan ...

    (I'm asking because the blocks for packages generate us pain elsewhere -
    e.g. openssh needs to go to testing for armel, libxklavier-transition
    depends on glib2.0 and pango, ...)

    Cheers,
    Andi
    --
    http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/

  6. Re: Debian Installer Lenny Beta1: Status Update 4

    * Otavio Salvador (otavio@debian.org) [080313 02:36]:
    > Otavio Salvador writes:
    >
    > > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    > > | Date | What happens |
    > > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    > > |March 8, 2008 |test of images starts | <=
    > > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    > > |March 12, 2008 |final image builds |
    > > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    > > |March 16, 2008 |planned release date |
    > > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+

    > Currently we're trying to get final images built but the building
    > machine has hardware issues and it's being worked on to get it solves
    > as soon as possible.
    >
    > I'll mail you all once it has been solved and images are available for
    > final tests.

    Is there any update on this? As of now, the final images should be
    available according to your plan ...

    (I'm asking because the blocks for packages generate us pain elsewhere -
    e.g. openssh needs to go to testing for armel, libxklavier-transition
    depends on glib2.0 and pango, ...)

    Cheers,
    Andi
    --
    http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/

  7. Re: Debian Installer Lenny Beta1: Status Update 4

    On Friday 14 March 2008, Andreas Barth wrote:
    > > Currently we're trying to get final images built but the building
    > > machine has hardware issues and it's being worked on to get it solves
    > > as soon as possible.
    > >
    > > I'll mail you all once it has been solved and images are available for
    > > final tests.

    > Is there any update on this? As of now, the final images should be
    > available according to your plan ...

    Read the first para please. And the second one for that matter.

  8. Re: Debian Installer Lenny Beta1: Status Update 4

    On Friday 14 March 2008, Andreas Barth wrote:
    > > Currently we're trying to get final images built but the building
    > > machine has hardware issues and it's being worked on to get it solves
    > > as soon as possible.
    > >
    > > I'll mail you all once it has been solved and images are available for
    > > final tests.

    > Is there any update on this? As of now, the final images should be
    > available according to your plan ...

    Read the first para please. And the second one for that matter.

  9. Re: Debian Installer Lenny Beta1: Status Update 4

    Op 09-03-2008 om 18:43 schreef Otavio Salvador:

    > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    > | Date | What happens |
    > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
    > |March 8, 2008 |test of images starts | <=
    > +------------------+-----------------------------------------------+

    For your information:
    sparc64 netboot image from march 9th installs fine on a Sun Ultra 10

    If other tests for sparc64 are needed, just say so.

    Something else:
    I remember vaguely test reports for other releases,
    but I didn't see them for this release.

    So I wonder if I'm really helping with reporting a succesfull install...

    Cheers
    Geert Stappers

  10. Re: Debian Installer Lenny Beta1: Status Update 4 & hardware issues

    Op 14-03-2008 om 09:58 schreef Frans Pop:
    > On Friday 14 March 2008, Andreas Barth wrote:
    > * Otavio Salvador (otavio@debian.org) [080313 02:36]:
    > > > Currently we're trying to get final images built but the building
    > > > machine has hardware issues and it's being worked on to get it solves
    > > > as soon as possible.
    > > >
    > > > I'll mail you all once it has been solved and images are available for
    > > > final tests.

    > > Is there any update on this? As of now, the final images should be
    > > available according to your plan ...

    > Read the first para please. And the second one for that matter.

    I read that as "No, no progress in 36 hours"

    What I mis is:
    - If there is help needed
    - If so, what kind of help is needed
    - When a next status update may be expected

    Cheers
    Geert Stappers

  11. Re: Debian Installer Lenny Beta1: Status Update 4 & hardware issues

    Geert Stappers writes:

    > What I mis is:
    > - If there is help needed
    > - If so, what kind of help is needed

    People need to fix the machine and there're people working on
    that. We can't do much remotely.

    > - When a next status update may be expected

    As soon as we get news ;-)