LCD screen flickering - Debian

This is a discussion on LCD screen flickering - Debian ; Hi, everyone I used a toshiba laptop on debian/stable, and everything was OK! Now I am using debian/sid for some reasons, but some character in some fields on LCD screen is flickering, after a long time running debian, it will ...

  1. LCD screen flickering

    Hi, everyone
    I used a toshiba laptop on debian/stable, and everything was OK!

    Now I am using debian/sid for some reasons, but some character
    in some fields on LCD screen is flickering, after a long time running
    debian, it will flicker more worse sometimes. I can't take a screenshot
    because it always looks good from the picture what I get :-(

    kernel 2.6.24+13: i386
    xorg 1:7.3+10
    graphic driver i810 ( for my intel graphic 855GM card onboard)

    Any suggestion?

    PS: my refresh rate is 60Hz, and I have never change my X config file.
    Everything was OK before upgrade.

    Regards,

  2. Re: LCD screen flickering

    On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 6:47 AM, Andrea Ferraresi
    wrote:

    > On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 13:54 +0800, Ji ZhengYu wrote:
    > > Hi, everyone
    > > I used a toshiba laptop on debian/stable, and everything was OK!
    > >
    > > Now I am using debian/sid for some reasons, but some character
    > > in some fields on LCD screen is flickering, after a long time running
    > > debian, it will flicker more worse sometimes. I can't take a screenshot
    > > because it always looks good from the picture what I get :-(
    > >
    > > kernel 2.6.24+13: i386
    > > xorg 1:7.3+10
    > > graphic driver i810 ( for my intel graphic 855GM card onboard)
    > >
    > > Any suggestion?
    > >

    > I'm currently experiencing the same problem with the same graphic card,
    > but only after hibernation. After a reboot my screen works fine.
    >
    > --
    > |_|O|_| Andrea Ferraresi
    > |_|_|O| KeyFP= CFE7 223E EB7A E729 9675 BA93 5152 C043 3817 D93A

    Well, after a reboot, it looks fine. But after some times, the same
    problem come up again.
    Any suggestion?

    Regards,

  3. Re: LCD screen flickering

    Ji ZhengYu skrev:
    > On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 6:47 AM, Andrea Ferraresi
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 13:54 +0800, Ji ZhengYu wrote:
    >> > Hi, everyone
    >> > I used a toshiba laptop on debian/stable, and everything was OK!
    >> >
    >> > Now I am using debian/sid for some reasons, but some character
    >> > in some fields on LCD screen is flickering, after a long time running
    >> > debian, it will flicker more worse sometimes. I can't take a screenshot
    >> > because it always looks good from the picture what I get :-(
    >> >
    >> > kernel 2.6.24+13: i386
    >> > xorg 1:7.3+10
    >> > graphic driver i810 ( for my intel graphic 855GM card onboard)
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestion?
    >> >

    >> I'm currently experiencing the same problem with the same graphic card,
    >> but only after hibernation. After a reboot my screen works fine.
    >>
    >> --
    >> |_|O|_| Andrea Ferraresi
    >> |_|_|O| KeyFP= CFE7 223E EB7A E729 9675 BA93 5152 C043 3817 D93A
    >>

    > Well, after a reboot, it looks fine. But after some times, the same
    > problem come up again.
    > Any suggestion?
    >
    > Regards,

    Hi!

    Are you shure that the problem isn't hardware related? I've had several
    laptops with semi-broken inverter boards in the screen. It caused the
    monitor to flicker and sometimes go dark until next reboot.

    regards
    --
    Yosh

  4. Re: LCD screen flickering

    Johan Marklund wrote:
    > Ji ZhengYu skrev:
    >

    > > On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 6:47 AM, Andrea Ferraresi
    > > wrote:

    > >> I'm currently experiencing the same problem with the same graphic card,
    > >> but only after hibernation. After a reboot my screen works fine.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> |_|O|_| Andrea Ferraresi
    > >> |_|_|O| KeyFP= CFE7 223E EB7A E729 9675 BA93 5152 C043 3817 D93A
    > >>

    > > Well, after a reboot, it looks fine. But after some times, the same
    > > problem come up again.
    > > Any suggestion?
    > >
    > > Regards,

    > Are you shure that the problem isn't hardware related? I've had several
    > laptops with semi-broken inverter boards in the screen. It caused the
    > monitor to flicker and sometimes go dark until next reboot.
    >
    > regards
    > --
    > Yosh

    It's definite that the problem is software related. Now I'm back to
    stable, everything is OK again.

    Regards,

  5. Re: LCD screen flickering

    On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 15:19 +0100, Johan Marklund wrote:
    > Ji ZhengYu skrev:
    > > On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 6:47 AM, Andrea Ferraresi
    > > wrote:

    [Snip]

    > > Well, after a reboot, it looks fine. But after some times, the same
    > > problem come up again.
    > > Any suggestion?

    [Snip]
    > Are you shure that the problem isn't hardware related? I've had several
    > laptops with semi-broken inverter boards in the screen. It caused the
    > monitor to flicker and sometimes go dark until next reboot.

    If the problem were hardware-related i think that i will have the same
    problem everytime, but i experience the problem only when i resume my
    laptop from hibernation. But i don't know why.

    --
    |_|O|_| Andrea Ferraresi
    |_|_|O| KeyFP= CFE7 223E EB7A E729 9675 BA93 5152 C043 3817 D93A

+ Reply to Thread