Etch + Postfix, limiting the sent emails per hour - Debian

This is a discussion on Etch + Postfix, limiting the sent emails per hour - Debian ; Hello list! Has anyone of you succeeded in configuring Postfix, which comes with Etch, to limit the rate per hour of sent emails for each destination domain? Thanks! George A. Dorobantu...

  1. Etch + Postfix, limiting the sent emails per hour

    Hello list!

    Has anyone of you succeeded in configuring Postfix, which comes with Etch,
    to limit the rate per hour of sent emails for each destination domain?

    Thanks!

    George A. Dorobantu

  2. Re: Etch + Postfix, limiting the sent emails per hour

    Not exactly sure what you're asking but try postfix-policyd -- it probably
    can do what you want. Not sure *why* you'd want to but it can probably do
    it. It has throttling.

    --On February 28, 2008 9:36:32 AM -0500 George Dorobantu

    --
    Michael Loftis
    Modwest Operations Manager

  3. Re: Etch + Postfix, limiting the sent emails per hour

    George Dorobantu wrote:
    > postfix-policyd can't throttle in the way I need.
    > It can throttle based on "from" domain.
    > I need to throttle based on "to" domain because the remote servers
    > accept a certain rate per hour.
    >
    > George A. Dorobantu

    I think limiting NEW outgoing packets to port 25 in the firewall, with a
    rule for each remote server you need to throttle, could do the trick.

    something like:

    for maillimit in ip_limited_1 ip_limited_2; do
    iptables -A OUTPUT -j ACCEPT -p tcp -d $maillimit -m state --state NEW
    -m limit --limit 200/hour
    done

    might work for you. Don't know if you should close or reject the
    packets after the limit is set with this rule, or how that would affect
    the postfix queues.

    > On 2/28/08, *Michael Loftis* > > wrote:
    >
    > Not exactly sure what you're asking but try postfix-policyd -- it
    > probably
    > can do what you want. Not sure *why* you'd want to but it can
    > probably do
    > it. It has throttling.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Loftis
    > Modwest Operations Manager
    > Powerful, Affordable Web Hosting

    --
    Hector Gonzalez
    cacho@genac.org

  4. Re: Etch + Postfix, limiting the sent emails per hour

    Am Thursday, den 28 February hub Héctor González folgendes in die Tasten:

    > George Dorobantu wrote:
    > > postfix-policyd can't throttle in the way I need.
    > > It can throttle based on "from" domain.
    > > I need to throttle based on "to" domain because the remote servers
    > > accept a certain rate per hour.
    > >
    > > George A. Dorobantu

    > I think limiting NEW outgoing packets to port 25 in the firewall, with a
    > rule for each remote server you need to throttle, could do the trick.

    > something like:

    > for maillimit in ip_limited_1 ip_limited_2; do
    > iptables -A OUTPUT -j ACCEPT -p tcp -d $maillimit -m state --state NEW
    > -m limit --limit 200/hour
    > done

    Maybe hashlimit with dstip mode is more interesting as you do not have to
    add a rule for every host.

    > might work for you. Don't know if you should close or reject the
    > packets after the limit is set with this rule, or how that would affect
    > the postfix queues.

    Should not matter at first glance. If the connection is reset or
    packets are simply thrown away should not matter for the MTA as boths
    are like 4xxx errors.

    Ciao
    Max
    --
    Follow the white penguin.

  5. Re: Etch + Postfix, limiting the sent emails per hour

    postfix-policyd can't throttle in the way I need.
    It can throttle based on "from" domain.
    I need to throttle based on "to" domain because the remote servers accept a
    certain rate per hour.

    George A. Dorobantu

    On 2/28/08, Michael Loftis wrote:

    > Not exactly sure what you're asking but try postfix-policyd -- it probably
    > can do what you want. Not sure *why* you'd want to but it can probably do
    > it. It has throttling.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Loftis
    > Modwest Operations Manager
    > Powerful, Affordable Web Hosting

  6. Re: Etch + Postfix, limiting the sent emails per hour

    Am 2008-02-28 08:18:01, schrieb Michael Loftis:
    > Not exactly sure what you're asking but try postfix-policyd -- it probably
    > can do what you want. Not sure *why* you'd want to but it can probably do
    > it. It has throttling.

    My ISP is limiting the messages to 500 per
    hour and if I reach it, I get tonns of errors in the logfiles...

    Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

    Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
    +49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi

+ Reply to Thread