Dual-boot setup, incorrect time in Debian's side - Debian

This is a discussion on Dual-boot setup, incorrect time in Debian's side - Debian ; I am running a dual boot system with Windows XP and Debian just upgraded to unstable installed. As usual Windows sets the hardware clock to local time. To compensate for this I have UTC=no in /etc/default/rcS as specified. However this ...

  1. Dual-boot setup, incorrect time in Debian's side

    I am running a dual boot system with Windows XP and Debian just
    upgraded to unstable installed.

    As usual Windows sets the hardware clock to local time. To compensate
    for this I have UTC=no in /etc/default/rcS as specified.

    However this setting seems to be ignored. Debian seems to always think
    that the hardware clock is set to UTC, so when running Debian the
    clock is one hour ahead.

    My timezone is Europe/Madrid, just checked...

    # date -R
    Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:46:42 +0100

    # cat /etc/timezone
    Europe/Madrid

    # md5sum /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Madrid
    /etc/localtime9adedd59faaf242a67cdfcdc9e7020fa
    /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Madrid
    9adedd59faaf242a67cdfcdc9e7020fa /etc/localtime

    I see the suggestion of trying...

    # hwclock --localtime --show
    select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out

    Yes, as told somewhere --directisa is required for some systems.

    # hwclock --localtime --show --directisa
    Tue Feb 26 15:48:08 2008 -0.881809 seconds

    The option now is setting HWCLOCKPARS=--directisa in
    /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh directly or use /etc/default/rcS instead. But
    no matter what I try, when rebooting the clock is still one hour
    ahead.

    Should a bug to libc6 --owner package for /usr/bin/tzselect-- or
    tzdata be fired? Any ideas welcome...

    Cordially, Ismael
    --
    Ismael Valladolid Torres GnuPG key: DE721AF4

    SHS Polar (3.4.3) Google Talk/Jabber/MSN Messenger: ivalladt@gmail.com
    C/ Emilio Vargas 1 Jaiku/Twitter/Skype/Yahoo!: ivalladt
    Edif. Fiteni II AIM/ICQ: 264472328
    28043 Madrid (Spain)

    The opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of my employer.
    Las opiniones expresadas representan las mías propias y no las de mi empresa.

  2. Re: Dual-boot setup, incorrect time in Debian's side

    On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 02:53:31PM +0100, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:
    > I am running a dual boot system with Windows XP and Debian just
    > upgraded to unstable installed.
    >
    > As usual Windows sets the hardware clock to local time. To compensate
    > for this I have UTC=no in /etc/default/rcS as specified.

    Trying to have hardware clock in local time is bound to lose very fast.
    It's inherently incompatible with having more than one operating system
    installed, or even virtual machines and such...

    Instead of attempting to work around the related bugs, why won't you instead
    use the undocumented way to fix Windows:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\TimeZoneInformation\RealTimeIsUniversal
    = (DWORD)1

    You'll also need to shutdown and disable "Windows Time Service" if it's
    running. It's there on certain versions of Windows.

    I wonder if it would be a good idea to let d-i fix dual-booted systems this
    way...

    --
    1KB // Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
    // Never attribute to stupidity what can be

  3. Re: Dual-boot setup, incorrect time in Debian's side

    Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:
    > As usual Windows sets the hardware clock to local time. To compensate
    > for this I have UTC=no in /etc/default/rcS as specified.

    There is another file that may need to be changed: /etc/adjtime

    Cheers,
    FJP