Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections - Debian ; also sprach Anibal Avelar [2008.02.26.0805 +0100]: > http://fixxxer.cc/images/mascot/Penguin_Fat.gif > http://fixxxer.cc/images/mascot/Jhas.png > http://fixxxer.cc/images/mascot/little_pinguin.jpg > http://fixxxer.cc/images/mascot/calimero.jpg > http://fixxxer.cc/images/mascot/Akubuntu.png I will vehemently oppose to anything penguin-related for Debian. Debian != Linux. -- .''`. martin f. krafft : :' : proud Debian developer, author, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

    --
    .''`. martin f. krafft
    : :' : proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user

    i feel like i'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

  2. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

    On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 08:22 +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
    > also sprach Anibal Avelar [2008.02.26.0805 +0100]:
    > > http://fixxxer.cc/images/mascot/Penguin_Fat.gif
    > > http://fixxxer.cc/images/mascot/Jhas.png
    > > http://fixxxer.cc/images/mascot/little_pinguin.jpg
    > > http://fixxxer.cc/images/mascot/calimero.jpg
    > > http://fixxxer.cc/images/mascot/Akubuntu.png

    > I will vehemently oppose to anything penguin-related for Debian.
    > Debian != Linux.

    What about a bug... Bugs are our "pets" : we take care of them.

    Pixar's "A Bug's life" :
    http://www.pixar.com/featurefilms/abl/tale.html
    http://imdb.com/media/rm1614715136/tt0114709

  3. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

    also sprach Franklin PIAT [2008.02.26.0936 +0100]:
    > What about a bug... Bugs are our "pets" : we take care of them.

    I guess I just repeat myself when I question why we need to join the
    free software zoo. Is it hip? Are we hip? What's the gain? Why
    bother?

    A fluffy pillow with a swirl on it sounds like a good idea, for when
    you're feeling down and need some FOSS lovin'.

    A fluff animal, on the other hand, is for kids. Debian is not.

    --
    .''`. martin f. krafft
    : :' : proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user
    `. `'` http://people.debian.org/~madduck - http://debiansystem.info

    has /usr/bin/emacs been put into /etc/shells yet? :P

  4. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

    On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 5:56 PM, martin f krafft wrote:

    > A fluff animal, on the other hand, is for kids. Debian is not.

    Debian is for everyone, kids included!

    --
    bye,
    pabs

    http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

  5. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

    On ti, 2008-02-26 at 10:15 +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
    > also sprach Paul Wise [2008.02.26.1007 +0100]:
    > > > A fluff animal, on the other hand, is for kids. Debian is not.

    > > Debian is for everyone, kids included!

    > Yes. What I meant to say was: a stuffed animal might "belittle"
    > Debian. The Swirl is way more mature, albeit perceived less "cool".

    I don't think a stuff Tux belittles Linux. I don't think a stuffed
    animal would belittle Debian.

    (A stuffed rubber chicken as a Debian mascot might be wholly
    inappropriate, though.)

  6. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

    also sprach Paul Wise [2008.02.26.1007 +0100]:
    > > A fluff animal, on the other hand, is for kids. Debian is not.

    > Debian is for everyone, kids included!

    Yes. What I meant to say was: a stuffed animal might "belittle"
    Debian. The Swirl is way more mature, albeit perceived less "cool".

    --
    .''`. martin f. krafft
    : :' : proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user
    `. `'` http://people.debian.org/~madduck - http://debiansystem.info

    "the condition of perfection is idleness.
    the aim of perfection is youth."
    -- oscar wilde

  7. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

    On ti, 2008-02-26 at 10:20 +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
    > also sprach Lars Wirzenius [2008.02.26.1018 +0100]:
    > > I don't think a stuff Tux belittles Linux. I don't think a stuffed
    > > animal would belittle Debian.

    > Fine. I have other arguments: it would make it "yet another FOSS
    > project with an animal mascot".

    I'm not advocating stuffed animals for Debian mascots. I'm fine with a
    pillow, a tie, and a tutu.

  8. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

    also sprach Lars Wirzenius [2008.02.26.1018 +0100]:
    > I don't think a stuff Tux belittles Linux. I don't think a stuffed
    > animal would belittle Debian.

    Fine. I have other arguments: it would make it "yet another FOSS
    project with an animal mascot".

    --
    .''`. martin f. krafft
    : :' : proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user
    `. `'` http://people.debian.org/~madduck - http://debiansystem.info

    i'd rather be riding a high speed tractor
    with a beer on my lap,
    and a six pack of girls next to me.

  9. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

    Hi,
    * martin f krafft [2008-02-26 12:26]:
    > also sprach Lars Wirzenius [2008.02.26.1018 +0100]:
    > > I don't think a stuff Tux belittles Linux. I don't think a stuffed
    > > animal would belittle Debian.

    > Fine. I have other arguments: it would make it "yet another FOSS
    > project with an animal mascot".

    I strongly agree, also because we already have a logo it
    would be nice if the new fancy logo would be related to the
    existing ones. I really like the genie in
    http://www.openpuppets.com/fondos/8c.png

    Cheers
    Nico
    --
    Nico Golde - http://www.ngolde.de - nion@jabber.ccc.de - GPG: 0x73647CFF

  10. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

  11. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

    Le Tuesday 26 February 2008 14:41:41 Nico Golde, vous avez écrit*:
    > > Fine. I have other arguments: it would make it "yet another FOSS
    > > project with an animal mascot".

    > I strongly agree, also because we already have a logo it
    > would be nice if the new fancy logo would be related to the
    > existing ones. I really like the genie in
    > http://www.openpuppets.com/fondos/8c.png

    Well, you still can put a logo on the animal's belly..

    Now that I think about it, I think that a "care bear" with a debian logo on
    it's belly would even be better than a marmot :-D

    We could say that we all identifies to it, couldn't we ? :-P

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Care_Bears
    http://www.rastageeks.org/~toots/deb...urs-debian.jpg

    Romain

  12. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

    also sprach Romain Beauxis [2008.02.26.1454 +0100]:
    > Now that I think about it, I think that a "care bear" with a debian logo on
    > it's belly would even be better than a marmot :-D

    Oh, then I vote for teletubbies.

    (NOT)

    --
    .''`. martin f. krafft
    : :' : proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user
    `. `'` http://people.debian.org/~madduck - http://debiansystem.info

    "i wish i hadn't slept all day, it's really lowered my productivity"
    -- robert mcqueen

  13. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

    Quoting Lars Wirzenius (liw@liw.fi):

    > I'm not advocating stuffed animals for Debian mascots. I'm fine with a
    > pillow, a tie, and a tutu.

    I proposed Lars Wirzenius wearing nothing but a tie and a tutu, and
    holding a pillow with a swirl on it, as the official Debian mascot.

  14. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

    On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 02:54:18PM +0100, Romain Beauxis wrote:
    > Le Tuesday 26 February 2008 14:41:41 Nico Golde, vous avez écrit*:
    > > > Fine. I have other arguments: it would make it "yet another FOSS
    > > > project with an animal mascot".

    > > I strongly agree, also because we already have a logo it
    > > would be nice if the new fancy logo would be related to the
    > > existing ones. I really like the genie in
    > > http://www.openpuppets.com/fondos/8c.png

    > Well, you still can put a logo on the animal's belly..
    >
    > Now that I think about it, I think that a "care bear" with a debian logo on
    > it's belly would even be better than a marmot :-D
    >
    > We could say that we all identifies to it, couldn't we ? :-P
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Care_Bears
    > http://www.rastageeks.org/~toots/deb...urs-debian.jpg

    It would be better to avoid copyright and trademark infringments.

    Mike

  15. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

    On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 09:36:32AM +0100, Franklin PIAT wrote:
    > What about a bug... Bugs are our "pets" : we take care of them.

    Oh god. No, please, everything but not a bug as mascot. You'll be unable
    to communicate to our users that we _care_ for bugs. It will bring the
    reputation to Debian, that it is the project that is proud of its bugs
    and thats really a negative reputation.

    just my 2 cents

    Regards,
    Patrick

  16. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

    On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 10:20:55AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
    >Fine. I have other arguments: it would make it "yet another FOSS
    >project with an animal mascot".

    What about "a Foss project with a non-animal mascot"?

    And for an non-animal mascot I'd like to suggest "The perfect
    spiral" [¹].

    [¹] http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap071201.html

  17. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

    Hi,

    On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 09:56:40AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
    > also sprach Franklin PIAT [2008.02.26.0936 +0100]:
    > > What about a bug... Bugs are our "pets" : we take care of them.

    > I guess I just repeat myself when I question why we need to join the
    > free software zoo. Is it hip? Are we hip? What's the gain? Why
    > bother?

    The question is: Why not?

    Okay, it doesn't have to be an animal (it could also be an insect, a
    fantasy creature, etc.) but consider that having something like that has
    a good haptic effect. From a marketing point of view its a really great
    idea, because it betters the recognition of Debian. Consider that people
    like it. I'm quiet sure, that if we'd ask the sellers of such floss
    animals they would tell us that these floss animals are popular demanded
    items. And hey, don't you have a penguin or something like that in the
    near of your computer or its peripherals? Well, I do.

    > A fluffy pillow with a swirl on it sounds like a good idea, for when
    > you're feeling down and need some FOSS lovin'.

    Oh.. okay.. a fluffy pillow ... for FOSS lovin'.. is okay, but - well
    don't let me think about this :-)

    > A fluff animal, on the other hand, is for kids. Debian is not.

    No it is not. Or would you really say that the recognition of FreeBSD is
    the one of a kids toy? And btw. we _do_ target kids as well. For them a
    nice fluffy animal seriously highers their interest in Debian.

    BTW. just for the records: I do not advocate for a logo replacement. It
    is fine as it is. But certainly a mascot can be a good supplement to a
    good logo.

    Best Regards,
    Patrick

  18. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

    also sprach Patrick Schoenfeld [2008.02.26.2239 +0100]:
    > From a marketing point of view its a really great idea, because it
    > betters the recognition of Debian.

    From a marketing point of view, our swirl is already better than any
    other mascot, except maybe Tux.

    --
    .''`. martin f. krafft
    : :' : proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user
    `. `'` http://people.debian.org/~madduck - http://debiansystem.info

    "all language designers are arrogant. goes with the territory..."
    -- larry wall

  19. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:56:40 +0100, martin f krafft wrote:

    > > What about a bug... Bugs are our "pets" : we take care of them.

    > I guess I just repeat myself when I question why we need to join the
    > free software zoo. Is it hip? Are we hip? What's the gain? Why
    > bother?

    Ack.

    > A fluffy pillow with a swirl on it sounds like a good idea, for when
    > you're feeling down and need some FOSS lovin'.

    What I'd actually like to see, own and use is a sweat-shirt; wearing
    it in everday life would be a nice and easy way of promoting Debian.

    gre "as long as it's black" gor
    --
    .''`. http://info.comodo.priv.at/ | gpg key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
    : :' : debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/

  20. Re: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections

    On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 22:02 +0100, Patrick Schoenfeld wrote:
    > On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 09:36:32AM +0100, Franklin PIAT wrote:
    > > What about a bug... Bugs are our "pets" : we take care of them.

    > Oh god. No, please, everything but not a bug as mascot. You'll be unable
    > to communicate to our users that we _care_ for bugs. It will bring the
    > reputation to Debian, that it is the project that is proud of its bugs
    > and thats really a negative reputation.

    It doesn't really have to be our best friend... we could have a stress
    ball looking like a bug, that we could bring at BSPs (Let's squash a
    bug).

    Those were just random ideas anyway, As I really like our Swirl (and its
    pink... that's really our color).

    Franklin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast