On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:26:30PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> What are the constrained environments where you think static linking
> would be useful? I'm developing embedded systems and I prefer shared
> libraries - unless you have only one application using a particular
> library then you will save space.

Desktop grid applications that will be running on an unknown version of
an unknown distribution, but I want to be able to build them on Debian.
These applications won't ever use NSS, PAM or anything else that relies
on some system-level configuration because you can't assume anything
about the local system.

Gabor