Split modules packages - Debian

This is a discussion on Split modules packages - Debian ; Hi folks I need some input on the following feature: split modules package. Aka linux-2.6 should build *-image-*-powerpc and *-image-*-powerpc-miboot. Both depends on *-modules-*-powerpc. They share the same ABI and are only linked different. To do this properly, the functionality ...

  1. Split modules packages

    Hi folks

    I need some input on the following feature: split modules package. Aka
    linux-2.6 should build *-image-*-powerpc and *-image-*-powerpc-miboot.
    Both depends on *-modules-*-powerpc. They share the same ABI and are
    only linked different.

    To do this properly, the functionality of the current maintainer scripts
    needs to be split into two:
    - image: The whole bootloader thing.
    - modules: initramfs generation.

    There are two or three other occurances of this problem:
    - xen. At least until Xen is able to load bzImage.
    - alpha-generic/alpha-legacy.
    - powerpc64/powerpc64-ps3. Not sure. The kernel source shows a different
    linked image.

    Any comments?

    Bastian

    --
    First study the enemy. Seek weakness.
    -- Romulan Commander, "Balance of Terror", stardate 1709.2

  2. Re: Split modules packages

    On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 13:22 +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
    > - xen. At least until Xen is able to load bzImage.

    Upstream have queued some patches of mine in x86.git#mm which make this
    possible, I'd expect that baring any problems they will be in
    2.6.26.(too late for 2.6.25 I think). I have a matching Xen domain
    builder patch as well which I'll submit once the patches hit a -mm
    release or similar.

    I'm actually building trunk/2.6.25 packages with the patches (trivially)
    backported for my own use trying to make di work nicely in a Xen domU --
    I'd be happy to send you the diff if you want it, there's pretty much
    nothing to it.

    Ian.
    --
    Ian Campbell

    There is a natural hootchy-kootchy to a goldfish.
    -- Walt Disney

  3. Re: Split modules packages

    On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 01:22:58PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
    > There are two or three other occurances of this problem:

    - powerpc/powerpc-miboot

    Bastian

    --
    Lots of people drink from the wrong bottle sometimes.
    -- Edith Keeler, "The City on the Edge of Forever",