Erlang on UltraSparc III (again) - Debian

This is a discussion on Erlang on UltraSparc III (again) - Debian ; Hi! It looks like Erlang still routinely fails to build on lebrun buildd (sparc architecture, dual UltraSparc III). Though the were some changes because instead of bus error ( http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&...57177&file=log ) it reported internal compiler error ( http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&...50875&file=log ). The ...

  1. Erlang on UltraSparc III (again)

    Hi!

    It looks like Erlang still routinely fails to build on lebrun buildd
    (sparc architecture, dual UltraSparc III). Though the were some
    changes because instead of bus error
    (http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&...57177&file=log)
    it reported internal compiler error
    (http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&...50875&file=log).
    The code compiled was the same, the toolchain versions were the same
    too, so I suppose the change was caused by kernel upgrade.

    Also, Mikael Pettersson (an Erlang developer) said that Erlang is
    successfully built and working on Solaris@UltraSparc III.

    This almost convinced me that it's not a bug in Erlang but a bug in
    Linux kernel on UltraSparc III (maybe it's SMP-related).

    I don't have an access to USIII hardware to confirm this hypothesis.
    USII works fine (sperger runs USII, I tried to build erlang there. It
    builds.)

    If it's really a bug in kernel than I'd like to move erlang package
    and all package which build-depend on erlang to build at spontini on
    sparc architecture.

    Anyway, I need help to confirm (or reject) that it isn't an Erlang bug
    and to decide what to do with Erlang packaging on sparc architecture.
    It's very inconvenient to upload new versions to unstable knowing that
    they will never go to testing.

    --
    Sergei Golovan

  2. Re: Erlang on UltraSparc III (again)

    On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 04:33:23PM +0300, Sergei Golovan wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > It looks like Erlang still routinely fails to build on lebrun buildd
    > (sparc architecture, dual UltraSparc III). Though the were some
    > changes because instead of bus error
    > (http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&...57177&file=log)
    > it reported internal compiler error
    > (http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&...50875&file=log).
    > The code compiled was the same, the toolchain versions were the same
    > too, so I suppose the change was caused by kernel upgrade.

    I can confirm that there is some serious problem. I've tried to
    rebuild Erlang on SunBlade 1000 (which is Ultrasparc III) and I keep
    getting non-reproducible falures (two "Bus Errors" in different
    places, once aborted saying that the file is missing, and once just
    hanged).

    Unfortunately, I don't have a clue on how to even start debugging
    something like this.

    Best regards,
    --
    Jurij Smakov jurij@wooyd.org
    Key: http://www.wooyd.org/pgpkey/ KeyID: C99E03CC

  3. Re: Erlang on UltraSparc III (again)

    On 2/24/08, Jurij Smakov wrote:

    > I can confirm that there is some serious problem. I've tried to
    > rebuild Erlang on SunBlade 1000 (which is Ultrasparc III) and I keep
    > getting non-reproducible falures (two "Bus Errors" in different
    > places, once aborted saying that the file is missing, and once just
    > hanged).
    >
    > Unfortunately, I don't have a clue on how to even start debugging
    > something like this.

    I think it could be easier to debug using older erlang version
    (11.b.5). It doesn't start a thread for every physical processor by
    default. So, its behavior should be more predictable.

    Bernd Zeimetz did look at this bug once (see
    http://www.mail-archive.com/sparclin.../msg02147.html)
    but due to lack of time he couldn't fix it.

    --
    Sergei Golovan