${shlibs:Depends} results libfamin0 or libfam0? - Debian

This is a discussion on ${shlibs:Depends} results libfamin0 or libfam0? - Debian ; Dear folks, I am working on pcmanfm package. It has build-depends on 'libgamin-dev', but somehow the binaries packages depends on 'libfam0'. I checked 'libgamin-dev' depends on 'libgamin0', but I don't know why the binaries packages are not depend on 'libgamin0'? ...

  1. ${shlibs:Depends} results libfamin0 or libfam0?

    Dear folks,

    I am working on pcmanfm package. It has build-depends on 'libgamin-dev',
    but somehow the binaries packages depends on 'libfam0'.

    I checked 'libgamin-dev' depends on 'libgamin0', but I don't know why
    the binaries packages are not depend on 'libgamin0'?

    Both libfam0 and libgamin0 package provides libfam0, so libfam0 might be
    correct dependency,

    But upstream author is not recommended to use libfam0 with this package,
    does anyone know what do to with this situation?

    And I also found and libgamin0 package contains:
    /usr/lib/libfam.so.0.0.0
    /usr/lib/libgamin-1.so.0.1.9
    /usr/lib/libfam.so.0
    /usr/lib/libgamin-1.so.0

    Not sure if this confused ${shlibsepends}?

    PS. Also cc this to libgamin0 and libfam0 maintainers.

    -Andrew

  2. Re: ${shlibs:Depends} results libfamin0 or libfam0?

    * Andrew Lee [080129 06:09]:
    > Dear folks,
    >
    > I am working on pcmanfm package. It has build-depends on 'libgamin-dev',
    > but somehow the binaries packages depends on 'libfam0'.
    >
    > I checked 'libgamin-dev' depends on 'libgamin0', but I don't know why
    > the binaries packages are not depend on 'libgamin0'?
    >
    > Both libfam0 and libgamin0 package provides libfam0, so libfam0 might be
    > correct dependency,
    >
    > But upstream author is not recommended to use libfam0 with this package,
    > does anyone know what do to with this situation?
    >
    > And I also found and libgamin0 package contains:
    > /usr/lib/libfam.so.0.0.0
    > /usr/lib/libgamin-1.so.0.1.9
    > /usr/lib/libfam.so.0
    > /usr/lib/libgamin-1.so.0
    >
    > Not sure if this confused ${shlibsepends}?
    >
    > PS. Also cc this to libgamin0 and libfam0 maintainers.
    >
    > -Andrew

    As libgamin0 Conflicts, Replaces, and Provides libfam0, then unless
    pcmanfm _requires_ some functionality that libgamin0 provides that
    libfam0 does not, depending on libfam0 rather than libgamin0 looks
    correct to me.

    What is the reason upstream discourages using fam? Is it just because
    he thinks gamin is a better file monitoring package or is there a
    stronger technical reason? Does pcmanfm work with fam, but not quite as
    well as with gamin? If so, the the "Depends: gamin" should probably be
    "Depends: gamin | fam".

    However, apachetop switched from "Depends: gamin | fam" to "Depends:
    gamin" and doodled switched from "Depends: fam" to "Depends: gamin".
    Both of these packages are maintained by Daniel Baumann (cc'ed to bring
    this thread to his attention, though I think he reads this list).

    Daniel, what was the reasoning for these changes? Also, most of the
    dependencies on fam are Recommends or Suggests. If a package depends on
    libfam0, can't the Depends: gamin (or fam) be relaxed to a Recommends?

    ....Marvin

  3. Re: ${shlibs:Depends} results libfamin0 or libfam0?

    On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 06:30:47PM +0800, Andrew Lee wrote:
    > I am working on pcmanfm package. It has build-depends on 'libgamin-dev',
    > but somehow the binaries packages depends on 'libfam0'.
    >
    > I checked 'libgamin-dev' depends on 'libgamin0', but I don't know why
    > the binaries packages are not depend on 'libgamin0'?

    You should find your answer in /var/lib/dpkg/info/libgamin0.shlibs. If
    your binary (as in the ELF binary, as reported by ldd) links against
    libfam, the package will end up with a dependency on libfam0; if your
    binary links against libgamin-1, the package will end up with a
    dependency on libgamin0.

    > But upstream author is not recommended to use libfam0 with this package,
    > does anyone know what do to with this situation?

    If you want to force libgamin0, link against libgamin-1 explicitly.

    --
    Colin Watson [cjwatson@debian.org]