changing the default syslog daemon for lenny? - Debian

This is a discussion on changing the default syslog daemon for lenny? - Debian ; Hi, Debian Edu will be switching its syslog for Lenny and as we want to differ the least possible from Debian, we are wondering, what the default syslog will be in Lenny. The main reason is that we need/want to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

  1. changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

    Hi,

    Debian Edu will be switching its syslog for Lenny and as we want to differ the
    least possible from Debian, we are wondering, what the default syslog will be
    in Lenny.

    The main reason is that we need/want to configure syslogd via debconf (or any
    other policy complient way) for remote logging and the sysklogd maintainer
    doesn't want to provide it. See #370339 for details.

    So we decided to switch to syslog-ng for now.

    On the #debian-release channel some people claimed, that syslog-ng is not a
    drop-in replacement, while other said so. I don't know Please explain
    here. Other options would be rsyslog (which Fedora is using, see
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureRsyslog) or msyslog.

    Obviously Debian could also continue to use sysklogd.

    Oh, and btw, I suggest to change the default for new installations and to keep
    whatever is installed on upgrades to Lenny.


    regards,
    Holger

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQBHnRN6UHLQNqxYNSARArrIAJ9vkQjOMlEC1RtMYekRpu eq/bYpEgCgxnC/
    hxeOeckxYo57uMJcA/OK0Ak=
    =M0FI
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  2. Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

    On 11278 March 1977, Holger Levsen wrote:

    > So we decided to switch to syslog-ng for now.


    > On the #debian-release channel some people claimed, that syslog-ng is not a
    > drop-in replacement, while other said so. I don't know Please explain
    > here. Other options would be rsyslog (which Fedora is using, see
    > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureRsyslog) or msyslog.


    It is a dropin replacement with the config that the package delivers in
    Debian.

    Of course using syslog-ng means you can take some more advantages
    compared to the old sysklogd - like automated logrotating.
    http://ganneff.de/syslog-ng.conf is an (old) config from me for that,
    which simply keeps logs in a host/year/month/day structure.
    It also has a nice set of filters and stuff, can do tcp and not only
    udp, and lots more.

    It is to be preferred over the sysklogd thing for a long time already.
    *IMO*

    JFTR - i dont care if the future default is rsyslog or syslog-ng or yet
    another one, as long as its better than sysklogd... (I install my
    favorite anyways, so......)

    --
    bye Joerg
    sind jabber und icq 2 unterschiedliche netzwerke ?


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

  3. Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

    Joerg Jaspert wrote:
    > On 11278 March 1977, Holger Levsen wrote:
    >
    >> So we decided to switch to syslog-ng for now.

    >
    >> On the #debian-release channel some people claimed, that syslog-ng is not a
    >> drop-in replacement, while other said so. I don't know Please explain
    >> here. Other options would be rsyslog (which Fedora is using, see
    >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureRsyslog) or msyslog.

    >
    > It is a dropin replacement with the config that the package delivers in
    > Debian.


    rsyslog is also a drop in replacement, even more so, as it can
    understand the syntax of sysklogd. The default rsyslog config file
    /etc/rsyslog.conf is basically a copy of /etc/syslog.conf.
    So if you have a custom syslog.conf, you could either copy it to
    /etc/rsyslog.conf or start rsyslogd with -f /etc/syslog.conf.

    rsyslog also allows to include other config files. The default
    /etc/rsyslog.conf is setup to include all files in /etc/rsyslog.d/*.conf.

    This easily allows for other packages to add custom configuration very
    easily.

    > Of course using syslog-ng means you can take some more advantages
    > compared to the old sysklogd - like automated logrotating.
    > http://ganneff.de/syslog-ng.conf is an (old) config from me for that,
    > which simply keeps logs in a host/year/month/day structure.
    > It also has a nice set of filters and stuff, can do tcp and not only
    > udp, and lots more.


    rsyslog has all these features, too (and many more). It even offers
    support for logging into MySQL and PostgreSQL databases, which only the
    commercial syslog-ng branch has.
    Support for these is in two separate packages rsyslog-mysql and
    rsyslog-pgsql. These two packages use the dbconfig-common framework to
    setup the database and automatically create config files for
    /etc/rsyslog.d/, so you can get up and running really quick and hassle free.

    A real plus is also upstream, who is very responsive and active and it's
    a pleasure to work with him.

    As maintainer of rsyslog, I'd really like to see rsyslog become the
    default for lenny and I think it would be a very good choice.


    Cheers,
    Michael
    --
    Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the
    universe are pointed away from Earth?


    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFHnSf8h7PER70FhVQRAkCvAKCmP5A6oNdk04KIc8w4r1 24RLH83ACfYYwv
    x3VDV9BFiw7ThOt5tKVo3Xs=
    =vxTw
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  4. Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

    Hi,

    On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 01:55 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
    > Joerg Jaspert wrote:
    > > On 11278 March 1977, Holger Levsen wrote:
    > >
    > >> So we decided to switch to syslog-ng for now.

    > >
    > >> On the #debian-release channel some people claimed, that syslog-ng is not a
    > >> drop-in replacement, while other said so. I don't know Please explain
    > >> here. Other options would be rsyslog (which Fedora is using, see
    > >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureRsyslog) or msyslog.

    > >
    > > It is a dropin replacement with the config that the package delivers in
    > > Debian.

    >
    > rsyslog is also a drop in replacement, even more so, as it can
    > understand the syntax of sysklogd. The default rsyslog config file
    > /etc/rsyslog.conf is basically a copy of /etc/syslog.conf.
    > So if you have a custom syslog.conf, you could either copy it to
    > /etc/rsyslog.conf or start rsyslogd with -f /etc/syslog.conf.
    >
    > rsyslog also allows to include other config files. The default
    > /etc/rsyslog.conf is setup to include all files in /etc/rsyslog.d/*.conf.
    >
    > This easily allows for other packages to add custom configuration very
    > easily.
    >
    > > Of course using syslog-ng means you can take some more advantages
    > > compared to the old sysklogd - like automated logrotating.
    > > http://ganneff.de/syslog-ng.conf is an (old) config from me for that,
    > > which simply keeps logs in a host/year/month/day structure.
    > > It also has a nice set of filters and stuff, can do tcp and not only
    > > udp, and lots more.

    >
    > rsyslog has all these features, too (and many more). It even offers
    > support for logging into MySQL and PostgreSQL databases, which only the
    > commercial syslog-ng branch has.
    > Support for these is in two separate packages rsyslog-mysql and
    > rsyslog-pgsql. These two packages use the dbconfig-common framework to
    > setup the database and automatically create config files for
    > /etc/rsyslog.d/, so you can get up and running really quick and hassle free.
    >
    > A real plus is also upstream, who is very responsive and active and it's
    > a pleasure to work with him.
    >
    > As maintainer of rsyslog, I'd really like to see rsyslog become the
    > default for lenny and I think it would be a very good choice.
    >
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Michael


    I agree with this. Additionally, Balasz Schielder (Balabit) makes people
    who contribute to syslog-ng sign a contributory license agreement [1],
    so that they can be included in syslog-ng premium, which is in my view
    against the whole purpose of open source. If you disagree with signing
    the CLA, your patch is rejected. As such, I feel that syslog-ng is not a
    good choice for the default syslogd in Debian.

    rsyslog upstream have a fairly good reputation of being cooperative and
    generally good to work with, at least from what i have observed.

    William

    [1] http://www.balabit.com/dl/CLA_patch.pdf

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQBHnSufoB+26npOQg4RAkntAKDI8LlRvzvKWkj4B+VSpB 4ES5ljrACeP7WE
    ThOcqaqOd0dXZ8vustRVpnk=
    =6aIF
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  5. Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

    On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 07:10:55PM -0600, William Pit**** wrote:
    >
    > I agree with this. Additionally, Balasz Schielder (Balabit) makes people
    > who contribute to syslog-ng sign a contributory license agreement [1],
    > so that they can be included in syslog-ng premium, which is in my view
    > against the whole purpose of open source. If you disagree with signing
    > the CLA, your patch is rejected. As such, I feel that syslog-ng is not a
    > good choice for the default syslogd in Debian.
    >
    > rsyslog upstream have a fairly good reputation of being cooperative and
    > generally good to work with, at least from what i have observed.
    >


    What about first hand experiences with them in heavy-load production
    environments? Stability, etc.

    --
    Francesco P. Lovergine


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

  6. Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

    2008/1/28, Holger Levsen :
    > The main reason is that we need/want to configure syslogd via debconf (or any
    > other policy complient way) for remote logging and the sysklogd maintainer
    > doesn't want to provide it. See #370339 for details.


    I find it surprising that the maintainer himself has not pronounced
    his standing on the issue. The only reference to the maintainer is a
    cut & paste note from an IRC log which might or might not be true.

    The maintainer hasn't even tagged this issue (which is open for almost
    2 years) as 'wontfix'. (!)

    Regards

    Javier


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

  7. Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

    Hi Javier, hi Joey,

    On Monday 28 January 2008 10:51, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino wrote:
    > 2008/1/28, Holger Levsen :
    > > The main reason is that we need/want to configure syslogd via debconf (or
    > > any other policy complient way) for remote logging and the sysklogd
    > > maintainer doesn't want to provide it. See #370339 for details.

    > I find it surprising that the maintainer himself has not pronounced
    > his standing on the issue. The only reference to the maintainer is a
    > cut & paste note from an IRC log which might or might not be true.
    >
    > The maintainer hasn't even tagged this issue (which is open for almost
    > 2 years) as 'wontfix'. (!)


    I agree that this bug should be tagged "wontfix", but I leave it to the
    maintainer to do it.

    But I have no reason not to believe the maintainer handles this bug
    as "wontfix", no (self-written) reply to the bug by him states this pretty
    well.

    CC:ed Joey, so he can comment.


    regards,
    Holger

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQBHnbCeUHLQNqxYNSARAlSzAJ0YbXWM7vNXputFHy0Vwr auSarWUwCguyHw
    gv8vnbC3HMc8ikCKjr2h14Y=
    =TyTO
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  8. Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

    Am Montag, 28. Januar 2008 01:55:23 schrieb Michael Biebl:
    > rsyslog is also a drop in replacement, even more so, as it can
    > understand the syntax of sysklogd. The default rsyslog config file
    > /etc/rsyslog.conf is basically a copy of /etc/syslog.conf.
    > So if you have a custom syslog.conf, you could either copy it to
    > /etc/rsyslog.conf or start rsyslogd with -f /etc/syslog.conf.
    >
    > rsyslog also allows to include other config files. The default
    > /etc/rsyslog.conf is setup to include all files in
    > /etc/rsyslog.d/*.conf.

    I would go also for rsyslog. The feature to add configuration files to
    rsyslog without touching configuration files in postinst scripts of other
    packages is really important for some other Debian releated Groups (e.g.
    Debian Edu).

    Greetings
    Patrick Winnertz



    --
    .''`. Patrick Winnertz
    : :' : GNU/Linux Debian Developer
    `. `'` http://www.der-winnie.de http://d.skolelinux.org/~winnie
    `- Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing systems

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQBHnidvzgm26bkTFDoRAieVAKCn1vHHr5GtbliOD3G7Cw dyRAxm3QCePXtI
    pWcaWdC29XhiaT6lD+69iBA=
    =IMKW
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  9. Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

    Holger Levsen writes:

    > Debian Edu will be switching its syslog for Lenny and as we want to
    > differ the least possible from Debian, we are wondering, what the
    > default syslog will be in Lenny.
    >
    > The main reason is that we need/want to configure syslogd via debconf
    > (or any other policy complient way) for remote logging and the sysklogd
    > maintainer doesn't want to provide it. See #370339 for details.
    >
    > So we decided to switch to syslog-ng for now.


    It sounds like there are other reasons to switch to syslog-ng or rsyslog
    for Debian as well (and I certainly understand why Debian Edu switched).
    I just wanted to note somewhere in this thread that if the problem were
    just this single packaging feature (which I know is not actually the
    case), that by itself isn't a reason to switch default syslog daemons.
    Another possible course of action would be to appeal the maintainer's
    decision to the Technical Committee.

    Of course, since other syslog implementations are potentially better in
    larger ways, there may still be good reason to switch the default syslog
    to another implementation. We're using syslog-ng for some hosts at
    Stanford because the configuration language just lets you do more stuff
    that sysklogd doesn't.

    --
    Russ Allbery (rra@debian.org)


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

  10. Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

    Patrick Winnertz wrote:
    > Am Montag, 28. Januar 2008 01:55:23 schrieb Michael Biebl:
    >> rsyslog is also a drop in replacement, even more so, as it can
    >> understand the syntax of sysklogd. The default rsyslog config file
    >> /etc/rsyslog.conf is basically a copy of /etc/syslog.conf.
    >> So if you have a custom syslog.conf, you could either copy it to
    >> /etc/rsyslog.conf or start rsyslogd with -f /etc/syslog.conf.
    >>
    >> rsyslog also allows to include other config files. The default
    >> /etc/rsyslog.conf is setup to include all files in
    >> /etc/rsyslog.d/*.conf.

    > I would go also for rsyslog. The feature to add configuration files to
    > rsyslog without touching configuration files in postinst scripts of other
    > packages is really important for some other Debian releated Groups (e.g.
    > Debian Edu).
    >


    As a (simple) example:

    If you want to filter out the messages of e.g. NetworkManager into a
    separate logfile, just drop a file networkmanager.conf into
    /etc/rsyslog.d, containing the line

    rogramname, contains, "NetworkManager" -/var/log/NetworkManager.log

    Packages could ship such files themselves, which would allow for more
    fine-grained logging. rsyslog allows to filter based on a lot more
    properties (and also regexps) [1][2].


    Cheers,
    Michael

    [1] http://www.rsyslog.com/module-Static...onf.html.phtml
    [2]
    http://www.rsyslog.com/module-Static...cer.html.phtml
    --
    Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the
    universe are pointed away from Earth?


    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFHntmTh7PER70FhVQRAv68AKCfWolvq3aNN50UO6bjkf KfPf+56ACgmH5W
    AU+UpJOChQsILC581jgTjwA=
    =brXs
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  11. Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

    Hi,

    On Tuesday 29 January 2008 00:55, Russ Allbery wrote:
    > Of course, since other syslog implementations are potentially better in
    > larger ways, there may still be good reason to switch the default syslog
    > to another implementation.


    It seems to me that everybody replied in favor to this idea and nobody replied
    suggesting to keep sysklogd the default. Which leads me to believe it should
    be done :-)

    I just wonder how... anyone?


    regards,
    Holger, who also agrees with http://blog.technologeek.org/2008/01/29/92

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQBHoINfUHLQNqxYNSARAmRRAKC8aEPwsMc9pdrlfticZj 9K7ithyACggQc4
    3xmcWBVuaYlVGjNk24Xuo60=
    =VPg1
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  12. Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Holger Levsen wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On Tuesday 29 January 2008 00:55, Russ Allbery wrote:
    > > Of course, since other syslog implementations are potentially better in
    > > larger ways, there may still be good reason to switch the default syslog
    > > to another implementation.

    >
    > It seems to me that everybody replied in favor to this idea and nobody replied
    > suggesting to keep sysklogd the default. Which leads me to believe it should
    > be done :-)
    >
    > I just wonder how... anyone?


    - Check the consequences of the change (what about tools that rely on
    /usr/sbin/syslog-facility or /usr/sbin/syslogd-listfiles ?), file bug on
    packages that depend on sysklogd because of that
    - Involve the rsyslog maintainer in the work
    - Document the change by preparing a patch for the release notes
    - Get the priorities fixed by a ftpmaster (assistant)

    Cheers,
    --
    Raphaël Hertzog

    Le best-seller français mis à jour pour Debian Etch :
    http://www.ouaza.com/livre/admin-debian/


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

  13. Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:01:58 +0100, Holger Levsen
    wrote:
    >It seems to me that everybody replied in favor to this idea and nobody replied
    >suggesting to keep sysklogd the default. Which leads me to believe it should
    >be done :-)


    Please, do change away from sysklogd. sysklogd in itself is not bad,
    but the package has been nearly fully unmaintained for years.

    Greetings
    Marc

    --
    -------------------------------------- !! No courtesy copies, please !! -----
    Marc Haber | " Questions are the | Mailadresse im Header
    Mannheim, Germany | Beginning of Wisdom " | http://www.zugschlus.de/
    Nordisch by Nature | Lt. Worf, TNG "Rightful Heir" | Fon: *49 621 72739834

  14. Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

    Raphael Hertzog wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Holger Levsen wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> On Tuesday 29 January 2008 00:55, Russ Allbery wrote:
    >>> Of course, since other syslog implementations are potentially better in
    >>> larger ways, there may still be good reason to switch the default syslog
    >>> to another implementation.

    >> It seems to me that everybody replied in favor to this idea and nobodyreplied
    >> suggesting to keep sysklogd the default. Which leads me to believe it should
    >> be done :-)
    >>
    >> I just wonder how... anyone?

    >
    > - Check the consequences of the change (what about tools that rely on
    > /usr/sbin/syslog-facility or /usr/sbin/syslogd-listfiles ?), file bugon
    > packages that depend on sysklogd because of that


    Ok, here we go...

    rsylogd provides linux-kernel-log-daemon and system-log-daemon, so it
    replaces both klogd and sysklogd. The only package depending on klogd is
    sysklogd, so there is no problem here. For system-log-daemon I analyzed
    the packages depending on it:

    Suggests:
    1.) xwatch: sysklogd
    Besides a small example config file, there is nothing syklogd
    specific in this package.
    Should be changed to $default_syslog | system-log-daemon
    2.) jffnms: syslog-ng
    Nothing syslog-ng specific in this package. Should be changed to
    $preferred_syslog | system-log-daemon

    Recommends:
    3.) anacron: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
    4.) fcron: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
    5.) heartbeat: sysklogd | syslog-ng | system-log-daemon
    6.) ldirectord: sysklogd | syslog-ng
    Should be changed to $preferred_syslog | system-log-daemon
    7.) nullmailer: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
    8.) rlinetd: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
    9.) xinetd: sysklogd | system-log-daemon

    Depends:
    10.) alamin-client: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
    11.) alamin-mysql: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
    12.) alamin-server: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
    Uses syslog-facility in postinst/prerm. install will not fail if
    syslog-facility is not present.
    Easy to use a fixed syslog-facility or even better provide a
    rsyslog.d snippet.
    13.) alamin-smpp: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
    14.) fwlogwatch: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
    15.) inetutils-ftpd: inetutils-syslogd | system-log-daemon
    16.) inetutils-inetd: inetutils-syslogd | system-log-daemon
    17.) inetutils-talkd: inetutils-syslogd | system-log-daemon
    18.) inetutils-telnetd: inetutils-syslogd | system-log-daemon
    19.) klogd: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
    20.) logcheck: sysklogd | system-log-daemon | syslog-ng
    Has used syslogd-listfiles in postinst, was removed again 2002
    21.) psad: syslogd | syslog-ng | metalog
    Should be changed to $preferred_syslog | system-log-daemon
    22.) request-tracker3.6: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
    23.) snort: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
    Has used syslogd-listfiles years again, was removed again
    24.) snort-common: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
    25.) snort-mysql: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
    26.) snort-pgsql: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
    27.) snort-rules-default: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
    28.) sympa: sysklogd (>= 1.3-27) | system-log-daemon
    Uses syslog-facility in postrm/postinst to setup a custom facility
    to log to /var/log/sympa.log. Doesn't fail to install if
    syslog-facility is not found, will log to /var/log/messages
    instead. Could easily ship a rsyslog.d snippet.

    So, the only real showstopper is 21.), not having system-log-daemon as
    alternative, which makes it uninstallable with rsyslog.

    If there is consensus, I'd go on filing bugs (priority important)
    against 1.), 2.), 6.) and 21.), asking for changing the dependency to
    rsyslog | system-log-daemon (or if they don't agree with the rsyslog
    choice, their preferred system-log-daemon).

    For 12.) and 28.), I'd file a wishlist bug providing a config file
    snippet for /etc/rsyslog.d/

    And finally, if it is approved that rsyslog should be become the default
    system-log-daemon, I'd file wishlist bugs against the remaining packages
    to change the dependency to rsylog | system-log-daemon, where appropriate.

    > - Involve the rsyslog maintainer in the work


    I'm here and all ears. I'm willing to work on the necessary steps.

    > - Document the change by preparing a patch for the release notes
    > - Get the priorities fixed by a ftpmaster (assistant)


    Should, I file a lenny release goal first and wait for it's approval, or
    can I take this thread as consensus that I can pursue changing the
    default system-log-daemon to rsyslog?

    Cheers,
    Michael

    --
    Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the
    universe are pointed away from Earth?


    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFHoQQxh7PER70FhVQRAtfYAKC3ULefCIZWr1PWB3g/qU1U9EmiZQCguIii
    RX47US0mL1pzPywszJU69Sc=
    =YT8x
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  15. Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

    Michael Biebl writes:

    > Ok, here we go...
    >
    > [investigation and analysis of dependencies on 'sysklogd']


    Good work, thankyou.

    > Should, I file a lenny release goal first and wait for it's
    > approval, or can I take this thread as consensus that I can pursue
    > changing the default system-log-daemon to rsyslog?


    It doesn't need to be a release goal to proceed with the work. File
    the release goal if you like, but I'd say go ahead with the change
    whether the release goal is accepted or not.

    --
    \ "bash awk grep perl sed, df du, du-du du-du, vi troff su fsck |
    `\ rm * halt LART LART LART!" —The Swedish BOFH, |
    _o__) alt.sysadmin.recovery |
    Ben Finney


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

  16. Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

    Hi,

    On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 00:11:44 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
    > For 12.) and 28.), I'd file a wishlist bug providing a config file
    > snippet for /etc/rsyslog.d/


    Can we please use /etc/syslog.d/ instead? this way we don't get locked
    in any specific implementation. I'm preparing a patch for
    inetutils-syslogd to support that, and it might also make sense to
    require all system-log-daemon providers to support that dir as well.

    > And finally, if it is approved that rsyslog should be become the default
    > system-log-daemon, I'd file wishlist bugs against the remaining packages
    > to change the dependency to rsylog | system-log-daemon, where
    > appropriate.


    rsyslogd seems to have a lot of features, and it's a bit big compared
    to other implementations, do normal users need all that stuff?
    Sysadmins can easily change it, and I bet most of the users do not
    care much what syslogd is installed as long as it's just logging.

    The list of syslogd sorted by Installed-Size:

    Package: socklog-run
    Installed-Size: 148

    Package: sysklogd
    Installed-Size: 212

    Package: inetutils-syslogd
    Installed-Size: 216

    Package: syslog-ng
    Installed-Size: 552

    Package: rsyslog
    Installed-Size: 672

    regards,
    guillem


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

  17. Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

    Guillem Jover wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 00:11:44 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
    >> For 12.) and 28.), I'd file a wishlist bug providing a config file
    >> snippet for /etc/rsyslog.d/

    >
    > Can we please use /etc/syslog.d/ instead? this way we don't get locked
    > in any specific implementation. I'm preparing a patch for
    > inetutils-syslogd to support that, and it might also make sense to
    > require all system-log-daemon providers to support that dir as well.


    I'd rather not do that. There is no common config file format, that all
    sylog daemons understand. E.g. you can't mix syslog-ng configuration
    with metalog or rsyslog. The additional functionality of rsyslog is
    implemented via special directives, which other syslog daemons won't
    understand. So, I don't think this is a good idea.

    >> And finally, if it is approved that rsyslog should be become the default
    >> system-log-daemon, I'd file wishlist bugs against the remaining packages
    >> to change the dependency to rsylog | system-log-daemon, where
    >> appropriate.

    >
    > rsyslogd seems to have a lot of features, and it's a bit big compared
    > to other implementations, do normal users need all that stuff?
    > Sysadmins can easily change it, and I bet most of the users do not
    > care much what syslogd is installed as long as it's just logging.


    Regarding memory usage, the next major release of rsyslog will allow to
    load only required functionality via shared modules. So you can
    fine-tune rsyslog to your needs. The default rsyslog installation could
    be setup to only support local logging, advanced features like remote
    logging via udp or tcp could be enabled on demand.

    > The list of syslogd sorted by Installed-Size:
    >
    > Package: socklog-run
    > Installed-Size: 148
    >
    > Package: sysklogd
    > Installed-Size: 212
    >
    > Package: inetutils-syslogd
    > Installed-Size: 216
    >
    > Package: syslog-ng
    > Installed-Size: 552
    >
    > Package: rsyslog
    > Installed-Size: 672


    That's mostly because of lots of documentation in
    /usr/share/doc/rsyslog. If you think that's an issue, I could split out
    the doc into a separate package.

    Cheers,
    Michael
    --
    Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the
    universe are pointed away from Earth?


    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFHoU76h7PER70FhVQRAtiBAKDMRDzU4wLP8VA5qOnvcY EE56n/gwCgnEOc
    20e7xLu5TwtfoEpH4gtEkPI=
    =B78C
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  18. Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

    Michael Biebl wrote:

    >> The list of syslogd sorted by Installed-Size:
    >>
    >> Package: socklog-run
    >> Installed-Size: 148


    This one requires runit (430k) and socklog (291k) for operation

    >> Package: sysklogd
    >> Installed-Size: 212


    This one requires klogd (139k) for kernel logging.

    >>
    >> Package: inetutils-syslogd
    >> Installed-Size: 216
    >>
    >> Package: syslog-ng
    >> Installed-Size: 552
    >>
    >> Package: rsyslog
    >> Installed-Size: 672

    >
    > That's mostly because of lots of documentation in
    > /usr/share/doc/rsyslog. If you think that's an issue, I could split out
    > the doc into a separate package.


    The documentation in /usr/share/doc is around 400k


    Cheers,
    Michael


    --
    Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the
    universe are pointed away from Earth?


    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFHoVDUh7PER70FhVQRAubEAKCQC02+is9izS2MjK6TiI s4+pxDXgCgqsLu
    Yi/WIcsT/dpVSvkukl+RTBs=
    =owtC
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  19. Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

    Quoting Marc Haber (mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de):
    > On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:01:58 +0100, Holger Levsen
    > wrote:
    > >It seems to me that everybody replied in favor to this idea and nobody replied
    > >suggesting to keep sysklogd the default. Which leads me to believe it should
    > >be done :-)

    >
    > Please, do change away from sysklogd. sysklogd in itself is not bad,
    > but the package has been nearly fully unmaintained for years.



    Seconded as well. While I have no technical advice on this, all good
    arguments have been given and it is obvious that Michael did a great
    job studying the consequence of the change and is prepared to deal
    with it.



    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFHoV3E1OXtrMAUPS0RAuivAJ9w6aoSnQivAH7Wtw2in/qqslOw+QCeJ66C
    IiH5cCzvpATcbFdMW1vAJ54=
    =Yd8D
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  20. Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?


    [Michael Biebl]
    > That's mostly because of lots of documentation in
    > /usr/share/doc/rsyslog. If you think that's an issue, I could split
    > out the doc into a separate package.


    This is probably a good idea, for those that need a very small disk
    footprint. Please split it into a -doc package.

    Happy hacking,
    --
    Petter Reinholdtsen


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast