Changing of tasksel from arch all to arch any - Debian

  2. Re: Changing of tasksel from arch all to arch any

    Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > Today while talking about the removal of laptop-detect from tasksel
    > depends list, specially for s390,

    Why is s390 so special, and why do the s390 porters get away with
    setting dependencies of important prority packages not-for-us, without
    talking to anyone? Those are the questions I'm left with.

    > vorlon noticed that we'd need to
    > change tasksel from arch all to arch any to make it possible.
    >
    > Obviously it adds some complexity since tasksel-data would need
    > to be build in all arches.

    We were very happy to make tasksel not achitecture dependent in 2004,
    because it made it simpler and faster to get new versions into testing.
    It would be a pity to lose that.

    --
    see shy jo

  3. Re: Changing of tasksel from arch all to arch any

    Joey Hess writes:

    > Otavio Salvador wrote:
    >> Today while talking about the removal of laptop-detect from tasksel
    >> depends list, specially for s390,

    > Why is s390 so special, and why do the s390 porters get away with
    > setting dependencies of important prority packages not-for-us, without
    > talking to anyone? Those are the questions I'm left with.

    Well, this I have no answer to.

    >> vorlon noticed that we'd need to
    >> change tasksel from arch all to arch any to make it possible.
    >>
    >> Obviously it adds some complexity since tasksel-data would need
    >> to be build in all arches.

    > We were very happy to make tasksel not achitecture dependent in 2004,
    > because it made it simpler and faster to get new versions into testing.
    > It would be a pity to lose that.

    I agree. That why I proposed a solution that I think could have pros
    and pros for both side. I see no cons.

    --
    O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
    E-mail: otavio@debian.org UIN: 5906116

  4. Re: Changing of tasksel from arch all to arch any

    On Sunday 27 January 2008, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > Today while talking about the removal of laptop-detect from tasksel
    > depends list, specially for s390, vorlon noticed that we'd need to
    > change tasksel from arch all to arch any to make it possible.

    That should be avoided if at all possible.

    > Thinking about it, I come up with following possible solution:
    >
    > tasksel:
    > - change laptop-detect from a depends to a recommends

    IMO that makes sense anyway.

    It should not be necessary to have laptop-detect installed on boxes that are
    clearly _not_ laptops (like my hppa/sparc/amd64 box) just to be able to use
    tasksel. tasksel should instead just default to "not a laptop" if
    laptop-detect is not present.

    Having it recommended means that it still _will_ be installed by default
    when people install tasksel manually; we only need to make sure it is
    installed when needed in D-I.

    Note: this means that laptop-detect will also need to be added in the
    generate_d-i+k_list script in debian-cd as it will no longer be
    automatically pulled onto CD1 by tasksel.

    > hw-detect:
    > - install laptop-detect if available (probably a post-base-installer
    > script)

    I disagree.
    - hw-detect really only makes sense if you'd only install it when the
    system is a laptop (i.e. if some kind of hardware detection actually
    happens), but as we don't do that hw-detect is IMO not the right place
    - even if hw-detect were the right component, a simple 'apt-install' would
    still be better than a post-base-installer script
    - as laptop-detect is only needed when tasksel is run, adding a pre-pkgsel.d
    script to install it (only for arches that are supported by it) seems more
    logical

    > laptop-detect:
    > - work to get it removed from all arches that it makes no sense

    Yes. laptop-detect should be arch-specific and only be built for those
    arches for which it actually supports laptop detection. For all other
    arches it is just plain silly to have this package in the archive.

    The fact that it is small and will just return false on other arches is IMO
    not enough reason to include it on arches where it will never, ever perform
    any useful function.

    Note that acpi-support and hotkey-setup will need to be modified too:
    laptop-detect
    Reverse Depends: acpi-support (0.103-5)
    Reverse Depends: hotkey-setup (0.1-21)
    Reverse Depends: tasksel-data (2.71)

    Cheers,
    FJP

    P.S. I do agree with Joey that it is not very nice that such decisions are
    made by individual porters without any discussion or consideration of the
    consequences.

  5. Re: Changing of tasksel from arch all to arch any

    On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 01:37:09AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
    > Note that acpi-support and hotkey-setup will need to be modified too:
    > laptop-detect
    > Reverse Depends: acpi-support (0.103-5)
    > Reverse Depends: hotkey-setup (0.1-21)
    > Reverse Depends: tasksel-data (2.71)

    Those packages are already arch-specific and only built on the relevant
    architectures.

    Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
    slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

  6. Re: Changing of tasksel from arch all to arch any

    Frans Pop writes:

    > On Sunday 27 January 2008, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    >> Today while talking about the removal of laptop-detect from tasksel
    >> depends list, specially for s390, vorlon noticed that we'd need to
    >> change tasksel from arch all to arch any to make it possible.

    > That should be avoided if at all possible.

    Agreed too. That's why I thought more about it to find another solution.

    >> Thinking about it, I come up with following possible solution:
    >>
    >> tasksel:
    >> - change laptop-detect from a depends to a recommends

    > IMO that makes sense anyway.

    I can change it. Joey, any objection? I'll change it tonight if you
    don't complain about it.

    > It should not be necessary to have laptop-detect installed on boxes that are
    > clearly _not_ laptops (like my hppa/sparc/amd64 box) just to be able to use
    > tasksel. tasksel should instead just default to "not a laptop" if
    > laptop-detect is not present.

    Yes. I think that we should make it installed in following arches:

    - i386
    - amd64
    - powerpc
    - sparc (http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/...claptop_1.html)
    - others?

    > Having it recommended means that it still _will_ be installed by default
    > when people install tasksel manually; we only need to make sure it is
    > installed when needed in D-I.
    >
    > Note: this means that laptop-detect will also need to be added in the
    > generate_d-i+k_list script in debian-cd as it will no longer be
    > automatically pulled onto CD1 by tasksel.

    Will do that as soon as we decide to go for this way.

    >> hw-detect:
    >> - install laptop-detect if available (probably a post-base-installer
    >> script)

    > I disagree.
    > - hw-detect really only makes sense if you'd only install it when the
    > system is a laptop (i.e. if some kind of hardware detection actually
    > happens), but as we don't do that hw-detect is IMO not the right place
    > - even if hw-detect were the right component, a simple 'apt-install' would
    > still be better than a post-base-installer script
    > - as laptop-detect is only needed when tasksel is run, adding a pre-pkgsel.d
    > script to install it (only for arches that are supported by it) seems more
    > logical

    Makes sense. I'm still thinking which module would fit better to have
    this hook script. I thought about put it in hw-detect but your
    comments are really valid ones but I didn't come up with a better
    alternative.

    --
    O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
    E-mail: otavio@debian.org UIN: 5906116
    GNU/Linux User: 239058 GPG ID: 49A5F855

  7. Re: Changing of tasksel from arch all to arch any

    On Monday 28 January 2008, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > Yes. I think that we should make it installed in following arches:
    >
    > - sparc (http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/...claptop_1.html)

    Does laptop-detect currently actually support detection of Sparc laptops? If
    it does not, then IMO it should not be installed (or even built) for sparc.
    It can always be enabled for sparc when such support _is_ added (although I
    doubt there will be very much interest in that).

    > > - as laptop-detect is only needed when tasksel is run, adding a
    > > pre-pkgsel.d script to install it (only for arches that are supported
    > > by it) seems more logical

    > Makes sense. I'm still thinking which module would fit better to have
    > this hook script. I thought about put it in hw-detect but your
    > comments are really valid ones but I didn't come up with a better
    > alternative.

    The alternative was in my 3rd point (see above): install it during pkgsel,
    just like we do for popcon.

+ Reply to Thread