Setting ACPI_SYSFS_POWER broke all battery status applets - Debian

This is a discussion on Setting ACPI_SYSFS_POWER broke all battery status applets - Debian ; Hi, the final 2.6.24 upload has ACPI_SYSFS_POWER activated instead of ACPI_PROCFS_POWER, causing all applets using hal (#462723), and those parsing proc directly (/usr/bin/acpi, wmacpi...) to fail reading the battery status. This makes .24 pretty useless on laptops. I suggest we ...

  1. Setting ACPI_SYSFS_POWER broke all battery status applets

    Hi,

    the final 2.6.24 upload has ACPI_SYSFS_POWER activated instead of
    ACPI_PROCFS_POWER, causing all applets using hal (#462723), and those
    parsing proc directly (/usr/bin/acpi, wmacpi...) to fail reading the
    battery status.

    This makes .24 pretty useless on laptops.

    I suggest we revert this change ASAP (I tend to upload -2 on monday
    evening UTC), until the concerned packages are fixed to be able to use
    both interfaces.

    Best regards
    Frederik Schüler

    --
    ENOSIG

  2. Re: Setting ACPI_SYSFS_POWER broke all battery status applets

    On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 03:16:59PM +0100, Frederik Schueler wrote:
    > the final 2.6.24 upload has ACPI_SYSFS_POWER activated instead of
    > ACPI_PROCFS_POWER, causing all applets using hal (#462723), and those
    > parsing proc directly (/usr/bin/acpi, wmacpi...) to fail reading the
    > battery status.

    Well, fix them? The old interface is marked as deprecated. It was clear
    that this will happen since at least one year.

    > This makes .24 pretty useless on laptops.

    No, it makes not.

    > I suggest we revert this change ASAP (I tend to upload -2 on monday
    > evening UTC), until the concerned packages are fixed to be able to use
    > both interfaces.

    This produces other problems.

    Bastian

    --
    Emotions are alien to me. I'm a scientist.
    -- Spock, "This Side of Paradise", stardate 3417.3

  3. Re: Setting ACPI_SYSFS_POWER broke all battery status applets

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008, Frederik Schueler wrote:

    > the final 2.6.24 upload has ACPI_SYSFS_POWER activated instead of
    > ACPI_PROCFS_POWER, causing all applets using hal (#462723), and those
    > parsing proc directly (/usr/bin/acpi, wmacpi...) to fail reading the
    > battery status.

    that info in #462723 is wrong hal already uses /sysfs
    it as not yet switched *all* info afais.
    sjoerd is working on adding the missing userspace part.
    best check support with lshal.

    i send a patch upstream for missing battery serial nr /sys file
    and got it acked by maintainer, waiting for it to show up it in git-acpi
    to add it do debian.

    concerning acpi i didn't research if upstream has already fixes.
    #462305 has been also cloned to #462796

    following helps too:
    cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_now