[tefera@mekuria.com: Re: Debian Installer: Amharic screenshots] - Debian

This is a discussion on [tefera@mekuria.com: Re: Debian Installer: Amharic screenshots] - Debian ; Just noticed the list was not CC'ed regards, Davide ----- Forwarded message from TG ----- From: TG Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 08:50:02 +0800 To: Davide Viti Subject: Re: Debian Installer: Amharic screenshots Hi We have discussed about the size ...

  1. [tefera@mekuria.com: Re: Debian Installer: Amharic screenshots]

    Just noticed the list was not CC'ed

    regards,
    Davide

    ----- Forwarded message from TG -----

    From: TG
    Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 08:50:02 +0800
    To: Davide Viti
    Subject: Re: Debian Installer: Amharic screenshots

    Hi

    We have discussed about the size of the fonts.
    9 and 10 are almost identical and too small to read. 12 is suggested by most
    as the most comfortable one and many prefered it if there are no size
    restrictions.

    Have a question though. Is it possible to change the font in the future when
    better fonts are available? For example the font "Nyala" from Microsoft which
    is released with vista is easy to read and comfortable at small sizes too. I am
    sure some thing like that will be available for linux in the future.

    On Jan 7, 2008 3:56 PM, Davide Viti wrote:

    Hi,
    I've created a few screenshots using the ttf-sil-abyssinica-udeb package
    now in the debian archives. I've posted the details in this thread:

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/.../msg00130.html

    but forgot to CC the address of original language translators... sorry!
    Could you please take a look at the pictures and tell us which size would
    be
    more appropriate for the graphical installer?
    Note that default fontsize i 9pt and most languages use that.

    Thanx in advance

    Davide

    ----- End forwarded message -----

  2. Re: [tefera@mekuria.com: Re: Debian Installer: Amharic screenshots]

    On Tuesday 15 January 2008, Davide Viti wrote:
    > ----- Forwarded message from TG -----
    > From: TG
    >
    > We have discussed about the size of the fonts.
    > 9 and 10 are almost identical and too small to read. 12 is suggested by
    > most as the most comfortable one and many prefered it if there are no
    > size restrictions.

    As I've said before, judging the font size from those screenshots is not
    really possibly. Please try a current daily image which has the font size
    set to 10pt. I thought it was fairly readable, but of course your opinion
    is more important.

    If you want to try different font sizes, just switch to VT2 (using
    ctrl-alt-f2) and edit the gtk-set-font script using the following command
    nano /usr/bin/gtk-set-font

    It should be fairly clear what change you need to make, but please ask if it
    is not.

    > Have a question though. Is it possible to change the font in the future
    > when better fonts are available?

    Yes, that is possible.

    Cheers,
    FJP

    [1] http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/...t/gtk/mini.iso

  3. Re: [tefera@mekuria.com: Re: Debian Installer: Amharic screenshots]

    On Wednesday 16 January 2008, Frans Pop wrote:
    > If you want to try different font sizes, just switch to VT2 (using
    > ctrl-alt-f2) and edit the gtk-set-font script using the following command
    > nano /usr/bin/gtk-set-font
    >
    > It should be fairly clear what change you need to make, but please ask if
    > it is not.

    Forgot to mention that you need to select the language again after changing
    the script to make the font size change.
    And you can switch back to the installer using ctrl-alt-F5.

+ Reply to Thread