GRUB error 18 after deb-4.0 install - Debian

This is a discussion on GRUB error 18 after deb-4.0 install - Debian ; Hi L or G, after installing Debian-4.0 with mbr-GRUB(before LILO was in mbr) and reboot I've got the messages 'grub stage1.5 error 18' - after than I've booted with KNOPPIX and mount the hda1 to added in the /boot/grub/menu.1st at ...

  1. GRUB error 18 after deb-4.0 install

    Hi L or G,
    after installing Debian-4.0 with mbr-GRUB(before LILO was in mbr) and
    reboot I've got the messages 'grub stage1.5 error 18' - after than I've
    booted with KNOPPIX and mount the hda1 to added in the
    /boot/grub/menu.1st at the kernel line 'ramdisk_size=16384' - but after
    debian reboot the same messages.

    Has anybody some hints? - regards Mat

  2. Re: GRUB error 18 after deb-4.0 install

    On Sunday 30 December 2007, 4repro@arcor.de wrote:
    > after installing Debian-4.0 with mbr-GRUB(before LILO was in mbr) and
    > reboot I've got the messages 'grub stage1.5 error 18' - after than I've
    > booted with KNOPPIX and mount the hda1 to added in the
    > /boot/grub/menu.1st at the kernel line 'ramdisk_size=16384' - but after
    > debian reboot the same messages.

    According to [1], there may be something wrong with the kernel or maybe the
    reference in grub to the kernel:
    18: "Invalid or unsupported executable format"
    This error is returned if the kernel image being loaded is not recognized
    as Multiboot or one of the supported native formats (Linux zImage or
    bzImage, FreeBSD, or NetBSD).

    Suggest you check that the kernel image is at the location grub thinks it is
    and try reinstalling the kernel.

    Cheers,
    FJP

    [1] http://www.uruk.org/orig-grub/errors.html