Upgrading Debian stable? - Debian

This is a discussion on Upgrading Debian stable? - Debian ; Since I lack broadband access, I have to rely on CDs to keep Debian (more-or-less) up to date on my computer. This worked quite well for Woody and Sarge. But local sources of Debian disks have not (to date) offered ...

  1. Upgrading Debian stable?

    Since I lack broadband access, I have to rely on CDs to keep Debian
    (more-or-less) up to date on my computer.

    This worked quite well for Woody and Sarge. But local sources of Debian
    disks have not (to date) offered similar options for Etch; they are
    willing to sell the full upgraded set (for c. $50 in Australia) but do not
    offer disks that just contain the upgraded packages.

    Are there any sellers that are more accommodating?

    Felix Karpfen

    --
    Felix Karpfen
    Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)

  2. Re: Upgrading Debian stable?

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:35:31 +0000, Felix Karpfen wrote:

    > Since I lack broadband access, I have to rely on CDs to keep Debian
    > (more-or-less) up to date on my computer.
    >
    > This worked quite well for Woody and Sarge. But local sources of Debian
    > disks have not (to date) offered similar options for Etch; they are
    > willing to sell the full upgraded set (for c. $50 in Australia) but do not
    > offer disks that just contain the upgraded packages.
    >
    > Are there any sellers that are more accommodating?
    >
    > Felix Karpfen

    Where abouts are you Felix? (state & city will be fine for now)

  3. Re: Upgrading Debian stable?

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 07:35:42 +0000, Dave wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:35:31 +0000, Felix Karpfen wrote:
    >
    >> Since I lack broadband access, I have to rely on CDs to keep Debian
    >> (more-or-less) up to date on my computer.
    >>
    >> This worked quite well for Woody and Sarge. But local sources of Debian
    >> disks have not (to date) offered similar options for Etch; they are
    >> willing to sell the full upgraded set (for c. $50 in Australia) but do not
    >> offer disks that just contain the upgraded packages.
    >>
    >> Are there any sellers that are more accommodating?
    >>
    >> Felix Karpfen
    >>

    > Where abouts are you Felix? (state & city will be fine for now)

    Canberra, ACT (Australia).

    But, thanks to the marvels of the Internet (and an operational VISA card),
    this is usually a non-issue when making purchases from a listed supplier.

    I am reluctant to request help from non-commercial suppliers. But I
    consider that "apt-zip + a memory stick" ought to deliver the goods.

    However, my local guru-daughter and her super-guru husband - who have
    broadband access - use Macs. Is it possible to use a Mac for downloading
    the upgraded packages onto a memory stick supplied by me?

    Felix Karpfen

    --
    Felix Karpfen
    Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)

  4. Re: Upgrading Debian stable?

    Felix Karpfen wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 07:35:42 +0000, Dave wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:35:31 +0000, Felix Karpfen wrote:
    >>
    >>> Since I lack broadband access, I have to rely on CDs to keep Debian
    >>> (more-or-less) up to date on my computer.
    >>>
    >>> This worked quite well for Woody and Sarge. But local sources of Debian
    >>> disks have not (to date) offered similar options for Etch; they are
    >>> willing to sell the full upgraded set (for c. $50 in Australia) but do not
    >>> offer disks that just contain the upgraded packages.
    >>>
    >>> Are there any sellers that are more accommodating?
    >>>
    >>> Felix Karpfen
    >>>

    >> Where abouts are you Felix? (state & city will be fine for now)

    > Canberra, ACT (Australia).
    >
    > But, thanks to the marvels of the Internet (and an operational VISA card),
    > this is usually a non-issue when making purchases from a listed supplier.
    >
    > I am reluctant to request help from non-commercial suppliers. But I
    > consider that "apt-zip + a memory stick" ought to deliver the goods.
    >
    > However, my local guru-daughter and her super-guru husband - who have
    > broadband access - use Macs. Is it possible to use a Mac for downloading
    > the upgraded packages onto a memory stick supplied by me?
    >
    > Felix Karpfen

    Can't you take your computer round to where the broadband is, connect
    and edit sources.list to point to lenny (or whatever you want to upgade
    to) and do

    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get dist-upgrade

    and leave it for a few hours, just checking occasionally to see if its
    asked something,

    that may be a better plan.

    Paul

    --

    Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
    as used by openoffice.org, http:///www.openoffice.org

    visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug

  5. Re: Upgrading Debian stable?

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:42:03 +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:

    > Felix Karpfen wrote:

    >> I consider that "apt-zip + a memory stick" ought to deliver the
    >> goods.
    >>

    >> However, my local guru-daughter and her super-guru husband - who have
    >> broadband access - use Macs.
    >>

    > Can't you take your computer round to where the broadband is, connect
    > and edit sources.list to point to lenny (or whatever you want to upgade
    > to) and do
    >
    > apt-get update
    > apt-get upgrade
    > apt-get dist-upgrade

    This is doable (and fairly idiot-proof).

    But it seems a pity not to use "apt-zip" since this was designed for
    precisely this type of upgrade.

    > and leave it for a few hours,

    Given that my envisaged upgrade is Debian 4.0 -> Debian 4.0.r1 -> Debian
    4.0.r2, I suspect that it will take minutes rather than hours.

    Thank you for the advice.

    Felix

    --
    Felix Karpfen