Hello to all & rt2400 dhclient problem - Debian

This is a discussion on Hello to all & rt2400 dhclient problem - Debian ; G'day to all, By way of intro of myself I am a near 10 year user of RH and derivative distros thereof. I have recently switched from RH to Ubuntu, and now I am using Debian Etch for the first ...

  1. Hello to all & rt2400 dhclient problem

    G'day to all,
    By way of intro of myself I am a near 10 year user of RH and derivative
    distros thereof. I have recently switched from RH to Ubuntu, and now I am
    using Debian Etch for the first time.

    Now for my problems...
    I found that the wireless card, (the rt2400), does not work with the new
    Etch kernel. So I installed the rt2400-source package and all the kernel
    headers that are required for the driver to compile with m-a. I installed
    the drivers and now I have discovered that the card will not self
    initialise and run dhclient to obtain a lease from my dhcp server, (it
    crashes the whole system! ). A temporary work around is have the card
    initialise with a fixed ip address and make sure /etc/resolv.conf has the
    dns addresses required.
    I am looking for a way to get this card to obtain the dhcp lease
    automatically from the server whenever it is inserted or machine booted.
    Has anyone done this before or even read something about it, any pointers
    at all would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Mechdave...

  2. Re: Hello to all & rt2400 dhclient problem

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 13:41:55 +0000, Dave wrote:

    > G'day to all,
    > By way of intro of myself I am a near 10 year user of RH and derivative
    > distros thereof. I have recently switched from RH to Ubuntu, and now I
    > am using Debian Etch for the first time.
    >
    > Now for my problems...
    > I found that the wireless card, (the rt2400), does not work with the
    > new Etch kernel. So I installed the rt2400-source package and all the
    > kernel headers that are required for the driver to compile with m-a. I
    > installed the drivers and now I have discovered that the card will not
    > self initialise and run dhclient to obtain a lease from my dhcp server,
    > (it crashes the whole system! ). A temporary work around is have the
    > card initialise with a fixed ip address and make sure /etc/resolv.conf
    > has the dns addresses required.
    > I am looking for a way to get this card to obtain the dhcp lease
    > automatically from the server whenever it is inserted or machine
    > booted. Has anyone done this before or even read something about it,
    > any pointers at all would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Mechdave...

    What might be helpful here is for you to show us your
    /etc/network/interfaces file. Do you have that card set to 'auto'?
    This could be a good time to read the manual page for that, man
    interfaces. Since you mentioned "whenever it is inserted" is this a laptop
    and a cardbus wireless card? Do you have pump installed or ifplugd or any
    other networkmanager that you could try to force a lease request or that
    might be interfering? From your description, it sounds like the card is
    working, it's just not automatically requesting a lease. By "crashes the
    whole system", do you mean complete lockup or something else?

  3. Re: Hello to all & rt2400 dhclient problem

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 07:15:08 -0800, Rodney wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 13:41:55 +0000, Dave wrote:
    >
    >> G'day to all,
    >> By way of intro of myself I am a near 10 year user of RH and derivative
    >> distros thereof. I have recently switched from RH to Ubuntu, and now I
    >> am using Debian Etch for the first time.
    >>
    >> Now for my problems...
    >> I found that the wireless card, (the rt2400), does not work with the
    >> new Etch kernel. So I installed the rt2400-source package and all the
    >> kernel headers that are required for the driver to compile with m-a. I
    >> installed the drivers and now I have discovered that the card will not
    >> self initialise and run dhclient to obtain a lease from my dhcp server,
    >> (it crashes the whole system! ). A temporary work around is have the
    >> card initialise with a fixed ip address and make sure /etc/resolv.conf
    >> has the dns addresses required.
    >> I am looking for a way to get this card to obtain the dhcp lease
    >> automatically from the server whenever it is inserted or machine
    >> booted. Has anyone done this before or even read something about it,
    >> any pointers at all would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Mechdave...

    > What might be helpful here is for you to show us your
    > /etc/network/interfaces file. Do you have that card set to 'auto'?
    > This could be a good time to read the manual page for that, man
    > interfaces. Since you mentioned "whenever it is inserted" is this a laptop
    > and a cardbus wireless card? Do you have pump installed or ifplugd or any
    > other networkmanager that you could try to force a lease request or that
    > might be interfering? From your description, it sounds like the card is
    > working, it's just not automatically requesting a lease. By "crashes the
    > whole system", do you mean complete lockup or something else?

    Here is my /etc/network/interfaces file as it stands at the moment.

    # The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    iface wlan0 inet static
    wireless-essid default
    wireless-key s:24117
    address 192.168.1.108
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.106
    auto wlan0

    The card is indeed set to auto. I do not have anything else installed
    to obtian leases other than dhclient. When the machine "locks up"
    everything freezes. The card is working fine if I have it set up as above,
    although it does not auto initialise from bootup.

    After running dhclient from a root console I get this entry in my
    dhcp.leases file on my server...

    lease 192.168.1.109 {
    starts 0 2007/12/30 08:00:06;
    ends 0 2007/12/30 08:10:06;
    tstp 0 2007/12/30 08:10:06;
    binding state free;
    hardware ethernet 00:08:a1:70:c8:1b;

    So that now I have acertained that there is not a problem with dhclient
    nor the card, just the two together.

  4. Re: Hello to all & rt2400 dhclient problem

    [edit]
    >>(Rodney) What might be helpful here is for you to show us your
    >> /etc/network/interfaces file. Do you have that card set to 'auto'? This
    >> could be a good time to read the manual page for that, man interfaces.
    >> Since you mentioned "whenever it is inserted" is this a laptop and a
    >> cardbus wireless card? Do you have pump installed or ifplugd or any
    >> other networkmanager that you could try to force a lease request or that
    >> might be interfering? From your description, it sounds like the card is
    >> working, it's just not automatically requesting a lease. By "crashes the
    >> whole system", do you mean complete lockup or something else?

    >(Dave) Here is my /etc/network/interfaces file as it stands at the
    >moment.

    [edit]

    > iface wlan0 inet static
    > wireless-essid default
    > wireless-key s:24117
    > address 192.168.1.108
    > netmask 255.255.255.0
    > gateway 192.168.1.106
    > auto wlan0

    I wonder, did you read through the man page that I suggested, I expected
    that as an experienced user you might benefit from reading to see if there
    were any differences from RH.

    In the first line of the stanza above, where you have "static", does that
    seem like something that would request an IP address or should it more
    likely be DHCP?

    I suggest you troubleshoot this problem without encryption and then add it
    back after things are working. That might make it simpler.

    > The card is indeed set to auto. I do not

    have anything else installed to
    > obtian leases other than dhclient. When the machine "locks up"
    > everything freezes. The card is working fine if I have it set up as
    > above, although it does not auto initialise from bootup.
    >
    > After running dhclient from a root console I get this entry in my
    > dhcp.leases file on my server...
    >
    > lease 192.168.1.109 {
    > starts 0 2007/12/30 08:00:06;
    > ends 0 2007/12/30 08:10:06;
    > tstp 0 2007/12/30 08:10:06;
    > binding state free;
    > hardware ethernet 00:08:a1:70:c8:1b;
    >
    > So that now I have acertained that there is not a problem with dhclient
    > nor the card, just the two together.

    Yes, this makes some sense too. If you want to have the same IP address
    for that card (static) then you need to option the router to always give
    that address to the MAC address of that card. How to do that will be in
    the router documentation.

    I seem to remember reading about some people having trouble if the
    interface wasn't brought up in a specific order or something like that but
    I don't remember the details and it doesn't necessarily fit the current
    trouble description you're giving. The threads (I don't
    even remember which newsgroup) about this can probably be found with a
    search engine if necessary. I don't have any wireless with that chipset,
    so I don't have anything written down.

+ Reply to Thread