Writing shlibs for unversioned libraries - Debian

This is a discussion on Writing shlibs for unversioned libraries - Debian ; Hi all, I'm packaging the new upstream version of gthumb and, since I'm adopting it, I'm changing a bit the structure of the package to make it cleaner. One thing I've come across is that gthumb install a library, libgthumb.so. ...

  1. Writing shlibs for unversioned libraries

    Hi all,
    I'm packaging the new upstream version of gthumb and, since I'm adopting it,
    I'm changing a bit the structure of the package to make it cleaner.

    One thing I've come across is that gthumb install a library, libgthumb.so.
    Unfortunately, this library is unversioned (objdump -p libgthumb.so | grep
    SONAME gives simply "libgthumb.so"), and I'm not able to write a proper shlibs
    file.

    In fact, I've used:

    libgthumb.so gthumb

    but it's obviously missing a version number. I've also tried:

    libgthumb gthumb

    but it didn't work either.

    I don't want to override the lintian warnings:

    E: gthumb: shlib-missing-in-control-file libgthumb.so for usr/lib/libgthumb..so
    W: gthumb: unused-shlib-entry-in-control-file libgthumb gthumb
    W: gthumb: package-name-doesnt-match-sonames libgthumb

    because this sounds plain wrong (only the last one might be acceptable).

    Any idea on how to continue?

    David

    --
    . ''`. Debian maintainer | http://snipurl.com/qa_page
    : :' : Linuxer #334216 | http://www.hanskalabs.net/

  2. Re: Writing shlibs for unversioned libraries

    On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 11:14:48AM +0100, David Paleino wrote:
    > I don't want to override the lintian warnings:
    >
    > E: gthumb: shlib-missing-in-control-file libgthumb.so for usr/lib/libgthumb.so
    > W: gthumb: unused-shlib-entry-in-control-file libgthumb gthumb
    > W: gthumb: package-name-doesnt-match-sonames libgthumb
    >
    > because this sounds plain wrong (only the last one might be acceptable).
    >
    > Any idea on how to continue?

    You could change the build system to make libgthumb.la a convenience
    library (if it is using libtool), so that gthumb gets linked to it
    statically and libgthumb.so does not get installed.

    Or does any other package use libgthumb.so? If not, I do not see the
    point in installing it in /usr/lib, it looks like a (build-system)
    implementation detail to me.

    Michael

  3. Re: Writing shlibs for unversioned libraries

    Il giorno Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:48:33 +0100
    Michael Banck ha scritto:

    > You could change the build system to make libgthumb.la a convenience
    > library (if it is using libtool), so that gthumb gets linked to it
    > statically and libgthumb.so does not get installed.

    I solved putting the .so into /usr/lib/gthumb/ and symlinking it from /usr/lib/.

    > Or does any other package use libgthumb.so? If not, I do not see the
    > point in installing it in /usr/lib, it looks like a (build-system)
    > implementation detail to me.

    Yes, but I was looking for the cleanest solution (instead of the symlink)

    Kindly,
    David

    --
    . ''`. Debian maintainer | http://snipurl.com/qa_page
    : :' : Linuxer #334216 | http://www.hanskalabs.net/
    `. `'` GPG: 1392B174 | http://www.debianizzati.org/
    `- 2BAB C625 4E66 E7B8 450A C3E1 E6AA 9017 1392 B174

  4. Re: Writing shlibs for unversioned libraries

    On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 12:59:50PM +0100, David Paleino wrote:
    > Il giorno Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:48:33 +0100
    > Michael Banck ha scritto:
    >
    > > You could change the build system to make libgthumb.la a convenience
    > > library (if it is using libtool), so that gthumb gets linked to it
    > > statically and libgthumb.so does not get installed.

    > I solved putting the .so into /usr/lib/gthumb/ and symlinking it from /usr/lib/.

    Please don't add a symlink, you could just as well have put in in
    /usr/lib in that case. Set an rpath instead for /usr/lib/gthumb/
    instead so that it will look for the library there.

    Kurt

  5. Re: Writing shlibs for unversioned libraries

    Am Sonntag 30 Dezember 2007 schrieb David Paleino:
    > Il giorno Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:48:33 +0100
    >
    > Michael Banck ha scritto:
    > > You could change the build system to make libgthumb.la a convenience
    > > library (if it is using libtool), so that gthumb gets linked to it
    > > statically and libgthumb.so does not get installed.

    > I solved putting the .so into /usr/lib/gthumb/ and symlinking it from
    > /usr/lib/.
    >
    > > Or does any other package use libgthumb.so? If not, I do not see the
    > > point in installing it in /usr/lib, it looks like a (build-system)
    > > implementation detail to me.

    > Yes, but I was looking for the cleanest solution (instead of the symlink)

    So either link statically or use an rpath to point to /usr/lib/gthumb. The
    symlink in /usr/lib is actually the worst thing to do.

    HS

  6. Re: Writing shlibs for unversioned libraries

    Il giorno Sun, 30 Dec 2007 13:15:11 +0100
    Hendrik Sattler ha scritto:

    > Am Sonntag 30 Dezember 2007 schrieb David Paleino:
    >
    > > Yes, but I was looking for the cleanest solution (instead of the symlink)
    > >

    > So either link statically or use an rpath to point to /usr/lib/gthumb. The
    > symlink in /usr/lib is actually the worst thing to do.

    Ok, then, I'll set rpath.

    Is there any way to do this other than using chrpath (thus Build-Depending on
    it)?

    Kindly,
    David

    --
    . ''`. Debian maintainer | http://snipurl.com/qa_page
    : :' : Linuxer #334216 | http://www.hanskalabs.net/
    `. `'` GPG: 1392B174 | http://www.debianizzati.org/
    `- 2BAB C625 4E66 E7B8 450A C3E1 E6AA 9017 1392 B174

  7. Re: Writing shlibs for unversioned libraries

    Il giorno Sun, 30 Dec 2007 14:18:39 +0100
    David Paleino ha scritto:

    > Is there any way to do this [setting rpath] other than using chrpath (thus
    > Build-Depending on it)?

    Uhm, I've found "-Wl,-rpath,/my/path". I'll try this, and report if something
    fails.

    David

    --
    . ''`. Debian maintainer | http://snipurl.com/qa_page
    : :' : Linuxer #334216 | http://www.hanskalabs.net/
    `. `'` GPG: 1392B174 | http://www.debianizzati.org/
    `- 2BAB C625 4E66 E7B8 450A C3E1 E6AA 9017 1392 B174

+ Reply to Thread