How to setup Etch to NOT do UTF-8 encoding - Debian

This is a discussion on How to setup Etch to NOT do UTF-8 encoding - Debian ; The installer for Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 "etch" and beyond will set up /NEW/ systems to use UTF-8 encoding by default rather than to the old language-specific encodings (like ISO-8859-1, EUC-JP or KOI-8). It does not feel good to have to ...

  1. How to setup Etch to NOT do UTF-8 encoding

    The installer for Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 "etch" and beyond will set up /NEW/
    systems to use UTF-8 encoding by default rather than to the old
    language-specific encodings (like ISO-8859-1, EUC-JP or KOI-8).

    It does not feel good to have to setup the next box to en_US.UTF-8 and have
    it cooperate with older systems -though already _updated_ to Etch- still
    using en_US.

    Does anyone know an install-switch, alike noapic or acpi=off, to maintain
    the old ISOish behavior ?

    HansH

  2. Re: How to setup Etch to NOT do UTF-8 encoding

    Em Sábado, 29 de Dezembro de 2007 21:04, HansH escreveu:

    > The installer for Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 "etch" and beyond will set up /NEW/
    > systems to use UTF-8 encoding by default rather than to the old
    > language-specific encodings (like ISO-8859-1, EUC-JP or KOI-8).
    >
    > It does not feel good to have to setup the next box to en_US.UTF-8 and
    > have it cooperate with older systems -though already _updated_ to Etch-
    > still using en_US.
    >
    > Does anyone know an install-switch, alike noapic or acpi=off, to maintain
    > the old ISOish behavior ?
    >
    > HansH

    dpkg-reconfigure locale

  3. Re: How to setup Etch to NOT do UTF-8 encoding

    "ArameFarpado" schreef in bericht
    > Em Sábado, 29 de Dezembro de 2007 21:04, HansH escreveu:
    >
    >> The installer for Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 "etch" and beyond will set up
    >> /NEW/
    >> systems to use UTF-8 encoding by default rather than to the old
    >> language-specific encodings (like ISO-8859-1, EUC-JP or KOI-8).
    >>
    >> It does not feel good to have to setup the next box to en_US.UTF-8 and
    >> have it cooperate with older systems -though already _updated_ to Etch-
    >> still using en_US.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know an install-switch, alike noapic or acpi=off, to maintain
    >> the old ISOish behavior ?
    >>

    > dpkg-reconfigure locale

    Hmm ... Assuming installing with en_US.UTF-8 will install some files with
    and configure some programs to support multi-byte characters. I'ld rather
    not want to [incompletely] _recover_ from 'wrong' setup, but prevent it.

    Meanwhile I thought 'debian-installer/locale=en_US' to be the switch to meet
    my needs However -at least for normal install- it is NOT doing what I had in
    mind.

    Apperantly expert-mode setup is the [only] way to be granted a choice of
    en_US.UTF-8, en _US or en_US.ISO-8859-15, right after selecting language and
    country and before selecting a keyboard layout.

    HansH

  4. Re: How to setup Etch to NOT do UTF-8 encoding

    "HansH" writes:
    >"ArameFarpado" schreef in bericht
    >> dpkg-reconfigure locale
    >>

    >Hmm ... Assuming installing with en_US.UTF-8 will install some files with
    >and configure some programs to support multi-byte characters. I'ld rather
    >not want to [incompletely] _recover_ from 'wrong' setup, but prevent it.

    Supporting UTF-8 is not 'wrong' even for you, as long as the program
    can also run with other locales.

    It seems to me that what you want is to set the default locale, which
    is usually achieved through environment variables like LANG (I.e.,
    each user can set them up the way he likes, and even switch around as
    needed). IIRC the configuration command above also gives you a way to
    specify what the default locale is, in which case your users don't
    even have to set LANG themselves.

    I am running with LANG=C all the time on 'native' Etch systems and I
    don't even notice that they support UTF-8 locales. I hope (but doubt)
    that disabling SELinux will be just as easy when Debian goes there.

    - anton

  5. Re: How to setup Etch to NOT do UTF-8 encoding

    "Anton Ertl" schreef in bericht
    news:2007Dec30.231208@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at.. .
    > "HansH" writes:
    >>"ArameFarpado" schreef in bericht
    >>> dpkg-reconfigure locale
    >>>

    >> Hmm ... Assuming installing with en_US.UTF-8 will install some files
    >> with and configure some programs to support multi-byte characters. I'ld
    >> rather not want to [incompletely] _recover_ from 'wrong' setup, but
    >> prevent it.

    > Supporting UTF-8 is not 'wrong' even for you, as long as the program
    > can also run with other locales.

    I have to admit I am not too familar with locales [yet]. Given the effort
    made at http://packages.debian.org/utf8-migration-tool to convert user data
    to UTF-8-encoding, I'ld rather be save than sorry.

    > It seems to me that what you want is to set the default locale, which
    > is usually achieved through environment variables like LANG

    CMIIW the _system_ default is to be changed by 'dpkg-reconfigure locales'.

    BUT 'dpkg-reconfigure locales' does NOT change the settings of all already
    installed applications and I just don't want to end up with a database not
    accepting ISO-8859-1(5) encoded input.

    For now I just try to avoid in advance any variation of encoding and
    presentation that might arise due to some [disabled] UTF8ish features if
    occasionally a website or datebase is to be relocated to this new server.

    > (I.e., each user can set them up the way he likes, and even switch
    > around as needed).

    True, system wide UTF-8 encoding does have an advantage: doing Chinees,
    Greek, Hebrew or German all in a single encoding.

    However for the systems involved user access is currently limited to FTP.
    User's [Windows based] editors are unaware of the discussed settings...

    HansH

  6. Re: How to setup Etch to NOT do UTF-8 encoding

    "HansH" writes:
    >"Anton Ertl" schreef in bericht
    >> It seems to me that what you want is to set the default locale, which
    >> is usually achieved through environment variables like LANG

    >CMIIW the _system_ default is to be changed by 'dpkg-reconfigure locales'.

    The system default is the setting of LANG in /etc/environment (the
    LC_* variables are apparently not set there).

    - anton