Tasksel only partly localized? - Debian

This is a discussion on Tasksel only partly localized? - Debian ; While running a default install with one of the dailies, I found out that tasksel was promptig me in English while the installation was running in French. Of course, tasksel's translation is complete for French, even for the uploaded version. ...

  1. Tasksel only partly localized?

    While running a default install with one of the dailies, I found out
    that tasksel was promptig me in English while the installation was
    running in French.

    Of course, tasksel's translation is complete for French, even for the
    uploaded version.

    Indeed, the *tasks names* were translated while the main screen ("At
    the moment, only the core of the system...") wasn't.

    --

  2. Serious issue with cdebconf translation filtering (was: Tasksel only partly localized?)

    On Sunday 23 December 2007, Christian Perrier wrote:
    > While running a default install with one of the dailies, I found out
    > that tasksel was promptig me in English while the installation was
    > running in French.
    >
    > Of course, tasksel's translation is complete for French, even for the
    > uploaded version.
    >
    > Indeed, the *tasks names* were translated while the main screen ("At
    > the moment, only the core of the system...") wasn't.

    This is caused by the fact that the debconf-copydb call in pkgsel's postinst
    (to copy the d-i templates we want available in the target system) clobbers
    the templates.dat file in the target system.

    AFAICT this is because of the post-Etch change to "filter out" translations
    other than the currently selected one.

    This conclusion was reached as follows:
    - I see the same issue for Dutch
    - if I check templates.dat in target after pkgsel, it contains no
    translations for tasksel
    - I've verified that the translations _are_ present after tasksel is
    installed during base-installer
    - if the debconf-copydb call in the pkgsel postinst is commented out, the
    translated text is displayed correctly
    - with the debconf-copydb call, the templates.dat file in /target shrinks
    from 518kB to 45kB

    [... more testing ...]

    The reason the selected language is filtered out as well is that we set
    LANG=C in pkgsel's postinst.

    The issue can be worked around by adding a 'unset DEBCONF_DROP_TRANSLATIONS'
    in the pkgsel postinst, but I don't feel that would be the correct solution
    as IMO by default the filtering should just not have *any* effect on other
    debconf databases than the D-I one. Having to remember to unset such a
    dangerous option is not a good design.

    A possible solution could be to NOT have DEBCONF_DROP_TRANSLATIONS=1 for the
    whole D-I environment but to only set it in places where we actually want
    the filtering to happen.

    CCing Colin to get his input on this as he implemented the feature.

    Cheers,
    FJP

  3. Re: Serious issue with cdebconf translation filtering (was: Tasksel only partly localized?)

    On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 03:12:55AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
    > On Sunday 23 December 2007, Christian Perrier wrote:
    > > While running a default install with one of the dailies, I found out
    > > that tasksel was promptig me in English while the installation was
    > > running in French.
    > >
    > > Of course, tasksel's translation is complete for French, even for the
    > > uploaded version.
    > >
    > > Indeed, the *tasks names* were translated while the main screen ("At
    > > the moment, only the core of the system...") wasn't.

    > This is caused by the fact that the debconf-copydb call in pkgsel's postinst
    > (to copy the d-i templates we want available in the target system) clobbers
    > the templates.dat file in the target system.
    >
    > AFAICT this is because of the post-Etch change to "filter out" translations
    > other than the currently selected one.

    I agree with your diagnosis.

    > The issue can be worked around by adding a 'unset DEBCONF_DROP_TRANSLATIONS'
    > in the pkgsel postinst, but I don't feel that would be the correct solution
    > as IMO by default the filtering should just not have *any* effect on other
    > debconf databases than the D-I one. Having to remember to unset such a
    > dangerous option is not a good design.
    >
    > A possible solution could be to NOT have DEBCONF_DROP_TRANSLATIONS=1 for the
    > whole D-I environment but to only set it in places where we actually want
    > the filtering to happen.

    I think it's simpler and more correct to simply unset
    DEBCONF_DROP_TRANSLATIONS in debconf-copydb, as is already done in
    debconf-loadtemplate. I've done this in r50612. Could you confirm
    whether this fixes this bug?

    Thanks,

    --
    Colin Watson [cjwatson@debian.org]

  4. Re: Serious issue with cdebconf translation filtering (was: Tasksel only partly localized?)

    On Monday 24 December 2007, Colin Watson wrote:
    > I think it's simpler and more correct to simply unset
    > DEBCONF_DROP_TRANSLATIONS in debconf-copydb, as is already done in
    > debconf-loadtemplate.

    That's why I CCed you :-)

    > I've done this in r50612. Could you confirm whether this fixes this bug?

    Yep. Works great [1]. Thx.

    [1] To test I've only copied the new debconf-copydb into my saved testcase.

  5. Re: Serious issue with cdebconf translation filtering (was: Tasksel only partly localized?)

    On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 11:49:46AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
    > On Monday 24 December 2007, Colin Watson wrote:
    > > I've done this in r50612. Could you confirm whether this fixes this bug?

    > Yep. Works great [1]. Thx.
    >
    > [1] To test I've only copied the new debconf-copydb into my saved testcase.

    Great, thanks. Belatedly uploaded (cdebconf 0.126).

    --
    Colin Watson [cjwatson@debian.org]