quto / blocks - Debian

This is a discussion on quto / blocks - Debian ; Hi all, I have a dedicated serveur gentoo. I enconter problems managing disk quotas. I thought that hard limit was in Mo, but it's obviously "blocks" But trying to evaluate the size of a block give me unexpexted results: 1_ ...

  1. quto / blocks

    Hi all,
    I have a dedicated serveur gentoo.

    I enconter problems managing disk quotas.

    I thought that hard limit was in Mo, but it's obviously "blocks"
    But trying to evaluate the size of a block give me unexpexted results:

    1_ How can i know the size of my blocks??
    i know 2 commands:
    $$$> edquota username
    and $$$> du /home/userdir

    user1:
    edquota gives me 156212 blocks
    and du /home/user1 : 8 920 (Mo)
    thus a block size is about: 8920 (000) / 156 212 == 57 o / block

    user2:
    edquota gives me 367 372 blocks
    and du /home/user2: 28 964 (Mo)
    thus a block size is here: 28 964 (000) / 367 372 == 78 o /block

    What is the relation between "block" and disk usage????

    How can i manage my disk quota in Mo.

    This is a big problem because when quota exeeds, any file uploaded is
    set to 0ko and erase the existing file. And all internet website goes wrong.

    Thanks for help.

  2. Re: quto / blocks

    Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:44:41 +0100, Séverin Richard wrote*:
    > I enconter problems managing disk quotas.
    > I thought that hard limit was in Mo, but it's obviously "blocks"
    > But trying to evaluate the size of a block give me unexpexted results:
    >
    > 1_ How can i know the size of my blocks??

    The size of blocks on a filesystem (sda1 in our example) is shown by the
    following command:
    sudo dumpe2fs /dev/sda1|grep -i "block size"

    The usage information given by edquota is only an indication and may be
    inaccurate. In your case, the block size is probably 64KB
    (8920*1024*1024/156212=59875).
    If you stay below the 64KB*block count limit, I suppose you won't be
    locked by the system. Avoid little files since each one eat 64K anyway. A
    65K file will consume 2 blocks.

    Hope it helps,
    --
    Pierre Brua
    System & Application Engineer

  3. Re: quto / blocks

    thank you Pierre,

    Your answer is helpfull.

    It is possible that my block size is: 64k
    My ratio between Mo and blocks is 57 and 78, depending on small
    files.(for 2 users)

    but the command:
    dumpe2fs /dev/sda1|grep -i "block size"
    (
    i also try:
    dumpe2fs /dev/hdc11|grep -i "block size" found on the internet
    )
    doesn't work: it returns:

    dumpe2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
    dumpe2fs: Aucun périphérique ou adresse lors de la tentative d'ouverture
    de /dev/sda1
    (no device or adress during connexion to /dev/sda1)

    which device stores my block size?

    it isn't /dev/sda1, nor /dev/hdc11
    can u help me to found the correct device?

    best regards,

    Pierre Brua wrote:
    > Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:44:41 +0100, Séverin Richard wrote :
    >
    >>I enconter problems managing disk quotas.
    >>I thought that hard limit was in Mo, but it's obviously "blocks"
    >>But trying to evaluate the size of a block give me unexpexted results:
    >>
    >>1_ How can i know the size of my blocks??

    > The size of blocks on a filesystem (sda1 in our example) is shown by the
    > following command:
    > sudo dumpe2fs /dev/sda1|grep -i "block size"
    >
    > The usage information given by edquota is only an indication and may be
    > inaccurate. In your case, the block size is probably 64KB
    > (8920*1024*1024/156212=59875).
    > If you stay below the 64KB*block count limit, I suppose you won't be
    > locked by the system. Avoid little files since each one eat 64K anyway. A
    > 65K file will consume 2 blocks.
    >
    > Hope it helps,

  4. Re: quto / blocks

    On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:33:06 +0100, Séverin Richard wrote:

    Séverin, please don't top post, OK?

    > which device stores my block size?
    >
    > it isn't /dev/sda1, nor /dev/hdc11
    > can u help me to found the correct device?

    If you type "mount" without any parameters, it will show you which devices
    are mounted and where. Example:

    debian:~$ mount
    /dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
    tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
    udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
    /dev/hda6 on /home type ext3 (rw)

    Note the /dev/hda1 and the /dev/hda6 which are the / and /home partitions
    respectively.

    Mark
    --
    Signature: unable to mount signature device /dev/sig

+ Reply to Thread