wdg-html-validator versus w3c-html-validator - Debian

This is a discussion on wdg-html-validator versus w3c-html-validator - Debian ; Hi All; I noticed that wdg-html-validator had been orphaned for more than a year, and since I use the offline validator script, I filed an ITA ( http://bugs.debian.org/390833 ). Now that I look at the logistics of packaging it (download ...

  1. wdg-html-validator versus w3c-html-validator

    Hi All;

    I noticed that wdg-html-validator had been orphaned for more than a
    year, and since I use the offline validator script, I filed an ITA
    (http://bugs.debian.org/390833). Now that I look at the logistics of
    packaging it (download 5 files from 5 places, make .orig.tar.gz by
    hand, no watch file) and the fact that it includes CGI, I am a little
    less enthusiastic (this is emphatically not a criticism of Aurelien
    Jarno's packaging work).

    So, some questions:

    1) If there is another good offline (i.e. shell command) html
    validator in Debian? weblint-perl for (non)-example does not support
    xhtml.

    2) Are there any compelling advantages to the cgi validator provided
    by wdg-html-validator versus w3c-html-validator? The packages have
    about the same popcon counts.

    If the answer to 1=yes, 2=no, probably I will re-orphan. If 1=no,
    2=no, I might consider repackaging just the offline validator.

    Thanks for any feedback,

    David

  2. Re: wdg-html-validator versus w3c-html-validator

    On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, David Bremner wrote:

    > I noticed that wdg-html-validator had been orphaned for more than a
    > year, and since I use the offline validator script, I filed an ITA
    > (http://bugs.debian.org/390833). Now that I look at the logistics of
    > packaging it (download 5 files from 5 places, make .orig.tar.gz by
    > hand,

    This could be fixed by creating a get-orig-source target for
    debian/rules.

    > no watch file)

    .... but there is no reasonable fix (which is true for several other
    packages). Perhaps you might be able to educate upstream to provide
    a reasonable tarball?

    > 1) If there is another good offline (i.e. shell command) html
    > validator in Debian? weblint-perl for (non)-example does not support
    > xhtml.

    I'm not aware of anything that is comparable regarding strictness
    and verbosity.

    > 2) Are there any compelling advantages to the cgi validator provided
    > by wdg-html-validator versus w3c-html-validator? The packages have
    > about the same popcon counts.

    I did not checked w3c-html-validator but my impression is that
    wdg-html-validator does a *really* good job and I would really
    miss the offline version.

    > If the answer to 1=yes, 2=no, probably I will re-orphan. If 1=no,
    > 2=no, I might consider repackaging just the offline validator.

    I would be really happy if somebody would care about wdg-html-validator.

    Kind regards

    Andreas.

    --
    http://fam-tille.de

  3. Re: wdg-html-validator versus w3c-html-validator

    On a related note:
    Why isn't the W3C Log Validator available as a package?
    It's the w3c's all-in-one tool with batch validation, link checking,
    and it analyzes your server logs to prioritize fixes. Basically, it's
    fantastic.
    http://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/LogValidator/

    Daniel Brumbaugh Keeney

  4. Re: wdg-html-validator versus w3c-html-validator

    On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 10:45 +0100, David Bremner wrote:
    > Hi All;
    >
    > I noticed that wdg-html-validator had been orphaned for more than a
    > year, and since I use the offline validator script, I filed an ITA
    > (http://bugs.debian.org/390833). Now that I look at the logistics of
    > packaging it (download 5 files from 5 places, make .orig.tar.gz by
    > hand, no watch file) and the fact that it includes CGI, I am a little
    > less enthusiastic (this is emphatically not a criticism of Aurelien
    > Jarno's packaging work).
    >
    > So, some questions:
    >
    > 1) If there is another good offline (i.e. shell command) html
    > validator in Debian? weblint-perl for (non)-example does not support
    > xhtml.

    nsgmls (from the sp package) can parse and validate *any* SGML document
    (possibly limited by character set support). Something like:

    SGML_CATALOG_FILES=/usr/share/sgml/declaration/xml.soc \
    SP_CHARSET_FIXED=YES SP_ENCODING=XML nsgmls -s -wxml index.html

    should work for XML. /usr/share/doc/sp/xml.htm has more information.

    Ben.

    --
    Ben Hutchings
    friends: People who know you well, but like you anyway.

  5. Re: wdg-html-validator versus w3c-html-validator

    Ben> On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 10:45 +0100, David Bremner wrote:
    >>
    >> 1) If there is another good offline (i.e. shell command) html
    >> validator in Debian? weblint-perl for (non)-example does not
    >> support xhtml.

    Ben> nsgmls (from the sp package) can parse and validate *any*
    Ben> SGML document (possibly limited by character set support).
    Ben> Something like:
    Ben> SGML_CATALOG_FILES=/usr/share/sgml/declaration/xml.soc \
    Ben> SP_CHARSET_FIXED=YES SP_ENCODING=XML nsgmls -s -wxml
    Ben> index.html

    Ben> should work for XML. /usr/share/doc/sp/xml.htm has more
    Ben> information.

    Right, I think all of the tools under discussion are wrappers for
    nsgmls. wdg-html-validator uses the version in opensp. I think there
    is some value for many debian users in a more friendly front end.