libgpg-error0 and libgcrypt11: static linking or move from /usr/lib to /lib? - Debian

This is a discussion on libgpg-error0 and libgcrypt11: static linking or move from /usr/lib to /lib? - Debian ; Hey, in the cryptsetup package we currently link statically against libgcrypt11 and libgpg-error0. cryptdisks is run before mountall.sh, thus we cannot depend on libraries which are are located in /usr/lib. in many systems /usr is a seperate partition. static linking ...

  1. libgpg-error0 and libgcrypt11: static linking or move from /usr/lib to /lib?

    Hey,

    in the cryptsetup package we currently link statically against libgcrypt11
    and libgpg-error0. cryptdisks is run before mountall.sh, thus we cannot
    depend on libraries which are are located in /usr/lib. in many systems
    /usr is a seperate partition.

    static linking has been a good solution in the past, but from a security
    point of view it should be avoided.

    if libgcrypt11 and libgpg-error0 libraries would be moved from /usr/lib
    to /lib, dynamical linking would be an option. that's how it seems to be
    done in ubuntu:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...11/+bug/139635

    what do you think? should we ask libgcrypt11 and ligpg-error0 maintainers
    to move the libraries to /lib, or is it better to stay with static linked
    libraries?

    greetings,
    jonas

  2. Re: libgpg-error0 and libgcrypt11: static linking or move from /usr/lib to /lib?

    Hi,

    Jonas Meurer schrieb:

    > what do you think? should we ask libgcrypt11 and ligpg-error0 maintainers
    > to move the libraries to /lib, or is it better to stay with static linked
    > libraries?

    Moving libgpg-error to /lib should not be a problem at all -- it's
    pretty small. libgcrypt, on the other hand, is a huge beast. :-/

    How much of libgcrypt is used by cryptsetup?

    Simon

  3. Re: libgpg-error0 and libgcrypt11: static linking or move from /usr/lib to /lib?

    On 10/12/2007 Simon Richter wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Jonas Meurer schrieb:
    >
    > >what do you think? should we ask libgcrypt11 and ligpg-error0 maintainers
    > >to move the libraries to /lib, or is it better to stay with static linked
    > >libraries?

    > Moving libgpg-error to /lib should not be a problem at all -- it's
    > pretty small. libgcrypt, on the other hand, is a huge beast. :-/
    >
    > How much of libgcrypt is used by cryptsetup?

    that's a good question. i don't know how to figure that out. should I
    search for useage of functions which are provided by libgcrypt in
    cryptsetup?

    greetings,
    jonas