Should download managers offer some virtual package? - Debian

This is a discussion on Should download managers offer some virtual package? - Debian ; It's been brought to my attention that liferea, while being able to use wget, curl, gwget and kget to download feed attachments, does not Recommend or Suggest any of them, or their alternatives. Since I'd rather not maintain a long ...

  1. Should download managers offer some virtual package?

    It's been brought to my attention that liferea, while being able to
    use wget, curl, gwget and kget to download feed attachments, does not
    Recommend or Suggest any of them, or their alternatives.

    Since I'd rather not maintain a long list of possible file
    downloaders, I tried but failed to find some virtual package I could
    Recommend for that functionality. Thus, this query: Would it be
    reasonable for such packages to provide one? What would be the propper
    name?

  2. Re: Should download managers offer some virtual package?

    On 04-Dec-07, 00:07 (CST), Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz wrote:
    > It's been brought to my attention that liferea, while being able to
    > use wget, curl, gwget and kget to download feed attachments, does not
    > Recommend or Suggest any of them, or their alternatives.
    >
    > Since I'd rather not maintain a long list of possible file
    > downloaders, I tried but failed to find some virtual package I could
    > Recommend for that functionality. Thus, this query: Would it be
    > reasonable for such packages to provide one? What would be the propper
    > name?

    More importantly, what is the defined interface and functionality
    provided by such a virtual package? That is, what can a package
    Depending on the virtaul package expect to be able to do?

    Does liferea detect which of {wget,curl,gwget,kget} are installed, and
    invoke each in a unique way? If so, the virtual package is not a good
    idea; instead, liferea should, in fact, list them specifically.

    Steve, continuing his probably pointless campaign against useless
    virtual packages.

    --
    Steve Greenland
    world. -- seen on the net

  3. Re: Should download managers offer some virtual package?

    On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 09:11:31AM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
    > On 04-Dec-07, 00:07 (CST), Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz wrote:
    > > Would it be
    > > reasonable for such packages to provide one? What would be the propper
    > > name?

    > More importantly, what is the defined interface and functionality
    > provided by such a virtual package? That is, what can a package
    > Depending on the virtaul package expect to be able to do?
    >
    > Does liferea detect which of {wget,curl,gwget,kget} are installed, and
    > invoke each in a unique way? If so, the virtual package is not a good
    > idea; instead, liferea should, in fact, list them specifically.

    Worse than that, the user must choose manually.

    I see the point, I'll list them by hand. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread