Ubuntu newsserver/newsgroup - Debian

This is a discussion on Ubuntu newsserver/newsgroup - Debian ; Hi, I've seen a couple of newsgroups for Linux in general but not a dedicated Ubuntu newsserver or newsgroup. Can anyone assist with a free newsserver address? THX Uwe...

  1. Ubuntu newsserver/newsgroup

    Hi,

    I've seen a couple of newsgroups for Linux in general but not a dedicated
    Ubuntu newsserver or newsgroup. Can anyone assist with a free newsserver
    address?

    THX
    Uwe

  2. Re: Ubuntu newsserver/newsgroup

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 10:13:55 +0100, Uwe Allgäuer wrote:

    > I've seen a couple of newsgroups for Linux in general but not a
    > dedicated Ubuntu newsserver or newsgroup. Can anyone assist with a free
    > newsserver address?

    ubuntu newsgroup:
    alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    plus dozens of mailing lists via gmane ( http://gmane.org )

    free usenet server:
    ONN: http://www-open-news-network.org/
    Albasani: http://www.albasani.net/

    ---<(kaimartin)>---
    --
    Kai-Martin Knaak
    http://lilalaser.de/blog

  3. Re: Ubuntu newsserver/newsgroup

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 10:13:55 +0100, Uwe Allgäuer wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've seen a couple of newsgroups for Linux in general but not a dedicated
    > Ubuntu newsserver or newsgroup. Can anyone assist with a free newsserver
    > address?
    >
    > THX
    > Uwe

    1) alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    2) in my general experience, with free newsservers you often get what you
    pay for. My recommendation - if your ISP does not have one, look at
    news.individual.net - it's not free, but very reasonable and reliable.

  4. Re: Ubuntu newsserver/newsgroup

    THX 4 the swift response 2 all!

    Already two times the newsgroup:
    > 1) alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    was referred as resource. I use the newsserver: "news.uta.at" (where I put
    this article) and within this ns I do not find the referred ng
    "alt.os.linux.ubuntu"!

    which newsserver do i need to setup to receive the ng "alt.os.linux.ubuntu"?

    THX
    Uwe

  5. Re: Ubuntu newsserver/newsgroup

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 17:23:13 +0100, Uwe Allgäuer wrote:

    > THX 4 the swift response 2 all!
    >
    > Already two times the newsgroup:
    >> 1) alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    > was referred as resource. I use the newsserver: "news.uta.at" (where I put
    > this article) and within this ns I do not find the referred ng
    > "alt.os.linux.ubuntu"!
    >
    > which newsserver do i need to setup to receive the ng "alt.os.linux.ubuntu"?

    A better one, evidently ;-)

  6. Re: Ubuntu newsserver/newsgroup

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 17:23:13 +0100, Uwe Allgäuer wrote:

    > THX 4 the swift response 2 all!
    >
    > Already two times the newsgroup:
    >> 1) alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    > was referred as resource. I use the newsserver: "news.uta.at" (where I put
    > this article) and within this ns I do not find the referred ng
    > "alt.os.linux.ubuntu"!
    >
    > which newsserver do i need to setup to receive the ng "alt.os.linux.ubuntu"?
    >
    > THX
    > Uwe

    You might try requesting that they carry it.

  7. Re: Ubuntu newsserver/newsgroup

    In alt.os.linux.debian on Mon, 3 Dec 2007 10:13:55 +0100, Uwe Allgäuer
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've seen a couple of newsgroups for Linux in general but not a dedicated
    > Ubuntu newsserver or newsgroup. Can anyone assist with a free newsserver
    > address?

    Contact utanet.at and ask them to add alt.os.linux.ubuntu.

    If that fails, find a server that carries the group.
    news.individual.net (cheap) and news.motzarella.org (free) are both
    possibilities, and there are others.

    If that fails too, Ubuntu questions are on-topic here according to the
    charter, and in my opinion should remain so at least until AOLU is
    more widely available.

    --
    PJR :-)

  8. Re: Ubuntu newsserver/newsgroup

    "Uwe Allguer" writes:
    >THX 4 the swift response 2 all!
    >
    >Already two times the newsgroup:
    >> 1) alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    >was referred as resource. I use the newsserver: "news.uta.at" (where I put
    >this article) and within this ns I do not find the referred ng
    >"alt.os.linux.ubuntu"!

    Just ask your provider uta.at to carry this newsgroup. Many news
    servers carry alt.* groups only if there is demand for them.

    - anton