DebianDoc: Chap -?-> Part - Debian

This is a discussion on DebianDoc: Chap -?-> Part - Debian ; I love DebianDoc. Is it possible to modify it to use 'Part' in place of 'Chapter'? -- No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am not a looney! Why should I be ...

  1. DebianDoc: Chap -?-> Part

    --
    No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
    not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely

    --==++ http://2idi.com/contact/=bob.bernstein ++==--

  2. Re: DebianDoc: Chap -?-> Part

    Hi,

    On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 02:35:07PM -0500, Eric d'Alibut wrote:
    > I love DebianDoc. Is it possible to modify it to use 'Part' in place
    > of 'Chapter'?

    Your question took me a while to understand.

    The answer is yes.

    Quick hack: Change data under /usr/share/perl5/DebianDoc_SGML/Locale/

    For english: /usr/share/perl5/DebianDoc_SGML/Locale/en_US.* depending on
    locale you want.

    If you do not want to touch system file as above (which is right thing),
    you can use the latest option -X under lenny.

    Osamu

  3. Re: DebianDoc: Chap -?-> Part

    On Dec 2, 2007 3:36 AM, Osamu Aoki wrote:

    > Your question took me a while to understand.

    Sorry.

    > For english: /usr/share/perl5/DebianDoc_SGML/Locale/en_US.* depending on
    > locale you want.

    I have changed what I thought appropriate, and, in the case of the
    file 'LaTex', added a line, but these changes do not carry over into
    pdf output. For HTML output they produce the desired effect:

    # pwd
    /usr/share/perl5/DebianDoc_SGML/Locale/en_US.ISO8859-1

    # grep chapter *
    HTML: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },
    LaTeX: 'chapter' => 'Part',
    SGML: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },
    Texinfo: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },
    Text: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },
    TextOV: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },
    XML: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },

    Do you have any thoughts as to what might work for pdf output?

    Best regards,

    --
    No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
    not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely
    because I have a pet halibut?

    --==++ http://2idi.com/contact/=bob.bernstein ++==--

  4. Re: DebianDoc: Chap -?-> Part

    On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 04:17:07PM -0500, Eric d'Alibut wrote:
    > On Dec 2, 2007 3:36 AM, Osamu Aoki wrote:
    > > Your question took me a while to understand.

    > Sorry.

    I still do not understand. You want to see the string "Part" instead of
    "Chapter" in the output, right? Or do you want a different section
    hierarchy in documents (bolder and bigger headlines)? LaTeX supports
    \part, \chapter, \section, \subsection, \subsubsection, \paragraph and
    \subparagraph. They have completely different properties. \part is used
    to separate a book into two or three parts where each part is more or
    less a book on it's own, that is \part is a very strong separation
    between chapters. Do you want this?

    Maybe you just refer to a translation where a currently used string for
    Chapter is not perfect and you want to improve it?

    > > For english: /usr/share/perl5/DebianDoc_SGML/Locale/en_US.* depending on
    > > locale you want.

    > I have changed what I thought appropriate, and, in the case of the
    > file 'LaTex', added a line, but these changes do not carry over into
    > pdf output. For HTML output they produce the desired effect:
    >
    > # pwd
    > /usr/share/perl5/DebianDoc_SGML/Locale/en_US.ISO8859-1
    >
    > # grep chapter *
    > HTML: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },
    > LaTeX: 'chapter' => 'Part',

    Strange, I do not find this in my file. Please note that the string used
    for Chapter is hardcoded in LaTeX. There is probably a way to redefine
    it (for translation look into babel.sty) but I found no easy way. A
    \renewcommand{\chapter}{Part: \thechaptername} or something similar
    called via
    'before begin document' => '\renewcommand{\chapter}{Part: \thechaptername}',
    in LaTeX could do the job but I'm sure it's not so easy.

    You should ask yourself: What do you want and why?!

    Jens

  5. Re: DebianDoc: Chap -?-> Part

    On Dec 2, 2007 4:50 PM, Jens Seidel wrote:

    > On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 04:17:07PM -0500, Eric d'Alibut wrote:

    > > I have changed what I thought appropriate, and, in the case of the
    > > file 'LaTex', added a line,...

    > > # grep chapter *
    > > HTML: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },
    > > LaTeX: 'chapter' => 'Part',

    > Strange, I do not find this in my file.

    Pls. see above. Thank you.

    --
    No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
    not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely
    because I have a pet halibut?

    --==++ http://2idi.com/contact/=bob.bernstein ++==--

  6. Re: DebianDoc: Chap -?-> Part

    I almost forgot!

    On Dec 2, 2007 4:50 PM, Jens Seidel wrote:

    > I still do not understand. You want to see the string "Part" instead of
    > "Chapter" in the output, right?

    Right.

    > Or do you want a different section
    > hierarchy in documents (bolder and bigger headlines)? LaTeX supports
    > \part, \chapter, \section, \subsection, \subsubsection, \paragraph and
    > \subparagraph.

    No.

    I'm only looking for the cosmetic, presentational change which
    substitutes the string "Part" for the string "Chapter." No structural
    changes are sought. Even so, I gather from your comments that this is
    *far* from simple!

    --
    No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
    not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely
    because I have a pet halibut?

    --==++ http://2idi.com/contact/=bob.bernstein ++==--

  7. Re: DebianDoc: Chap -?-> Part

    On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 04:17:07PM -0500, Eric d'Alibut wrote:
    > On Dec 2, 2007 3:36 AM, Osamu Aoki wrote:
    >
    > > Your question took me a while to understand.

    > Sorry.
    >
    > > For english: /usr/share/perl5/DebianDoc_SGML/Locale/en_US.* depending on
    > > locale you want.

    > I have changed what I thought appropriate, and, in the case of the
    > file 'LaTex', added a line, but these changes do not carry over into
    > pdf output. For HTML output they produce the desired effect:
    >
    > # pwd
    > /usr/share/perl5/DebianDoc_SGML/Locale/en_US.ISO8859-1
    >
    > # grep chapter *
    > HTML: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },
    > LaTeX: 'chapter' => 'Part',
    > SGML: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },
    > Texinfo: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },
    > Text: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },
    > TextOV: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },
    > XML: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },
    >
    > Do you have any thoughts as to what might work for pdf output?

    If latex command is correct, it should change pdf. pdf is created via
    latex.

    > Best regards,
    >
    > --
    > No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
    > not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely
    > because I have a pet halibut?
    >

    > --==++ http://2idi.com/contact/=bob.bernstein ++==--
    >

    > --

  8. Re: DebianDoc: Chap -?-> Part

    On Dec 3, 2007 8:36 AM, Osamu Aoki wrote:

    > > # pwd
    > > /usr/share/perl5/DebianDoc_SGML/Locale/en_US.ISO8859-1

    > > # grep chapter *
    > > HTML: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },
    > > LaTeX: 'chapter' => 'Part',
    > > SGML: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },
    > > Texinfo: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },
    > > Text: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },
    > > TextOV: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },
    > > XML: 'chapter' => sub { return "Part $_[0]" },

    > If latex command is correct, it should change pdf. pdf is created via
    > latex.

    That was a _guess_ by me, based on the syntax of the rest of the file:

    %locale = (
    'babel' => 'english',
    'inputenc' => 'latin1',
    'abstract' => 'Abstract',
    'copyright notice' => 'Copyright Notice',
    );

    My improvisation didn't work.

    Best regards,