installation failed - Debian

This is a discussion on installation failed - Debian ; I have a Digital PW 500AU (with an Alpha proceser). I'm trying to install debian 4.0R1 from a CD on the PC, I have tried both from the small cd with network installation and the full cd. But I always ...

  1. installation failed

    I have a Digital PW 500AU (with an Alpha proceser).
    I'm trying to install debian 4.0R1 from a CD on the PC, I have tried both
    from the small cd with network installation and the full cd. But I always
    get the same error. " dpkg: failed to open `/var/lib/dpkg/status' for
    writing status information: Read-only file system" I have attached the log
    files!
    Can any one help me solving the problems?

    http://www.kok.cc/pdf/hardware-summary
    http://www.kok.cc/pdf/partman
    http://www.kok.cc/pdf/syslog

    /Allan

  2. Re: installation failed

    * Allan Kok [2007-11-28 18:50]:
    > get the same error. " dpkg: failed to open `/var/lib/dpkg/status' for
    > writing status information: Read-only file system" I have attached the log
    > files!
    > Can any one help me solving the problems?

    That sounds like a broken hard drive to me.

    > http://www.kok.cc/pdf/syslog

    Nov 23 15:40:55 debootstrap:
    Nov 23 15:40:56 kernel: journal_bmap: journal block not found at offset 2060 on hda3
    Nov 23 15:40:56 kernel: Aborting journal on device hda3.
    Nov 23 15:40:56 kernel: journal commit I/O error
    Nov 23 15:40:56 debootstrap: dpkg: error processing base-files (--install):
    Nov 23 15:40:56 debootstrap: unable to fsync updated status of `base-files': Input/output error
    Nov 23 15:40:56 kernel: ext3_abort called.
    Nov 23 15:40:56 kernel: EXT3-fs error (device hda3): ext3_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted journal
    Nov 23 15:40:56 kernel: Remounting filesystem read-only
    Nov 23 15:40:56 debootstrap: dpkg: failed to open `/var/lib/dpkg/status' for writing status information: Read-only file system

    So the disk has problems, Linux mounts it read-only and you get the
    error message regarding /var/lib/dpkg/status.

    I fear it's a broken disk. Can you put in a different drive
    and try again?
    --
    Martin Michlmayr
    http://www.cyrius.com/