console login : number of access failures - Debian

This is a discussion on console login : number of access failures - Debian ; Hi list, 1- by default on our Debian system after a successful login through a tty we are presented with the number of failures (unsuccesful logins) that took place before using the same login name.For a non root user this ...

  1. console login : number of access failures

    Hi list,

    1- by default on our Debian system after a successful login through a
    tty we are presented with the number of failures (unsuccesful logins)
    that took place before using the same login name.For a non root user
    this number is correct.

    But what about the root user ? That number is correct unless none tried
    to do "su logins" (login using the command su).
    Do you think that su-logins must be considered as "general logins" and
    then the super user must know how many unsuccessful "su-logins" took
    place ? And what about the date and time of the last root login ? :-)
    Well, as a solution one could forbid the "su-login" but sometimes that
    command can be useful.

    2 - by default whenever I press CTRL-D to log out as a non root user the
    screen is cleaned ... whenever I press CTRL-D to log out as a root user
    the screen is not cleaned - and maybe a non root user can see what the
    root did before ! Why did they choose this behavior ??

    thank you for your attention, I appreciate suggestions and opinions

    saluti,

    daniele

  2. Re: console login : number of access failures

    This is surely interesting, but not laptop-specific. I'd suggest
    posting it also in the debian-user list and/or the General Discussion
    forum.

    Cumprimentos,

    Paulo