Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> If I'm not mistaken, there is no standard way of getting the value of just a
> single arbitrary substitution variable, such as ${source:Upstream-Version}.
> Consequently, countless of debian/rules and other scripts reinvent the wheel
> using dpkg-parsechangelog together with slightly varying sed programs, which
> sometimes give an incorrect result.
> So I thought that it might be a good idea to implement a general-case
> dpkg-substvars. Turns out somebody already did that - seven years ago.
> However, was tagged wontfix, probably because it
> tried to make it possible to use substitution variables in package names.
> But if we forget about variable package names, wouldn't dpkg-substvars be a
> good idea?

It would be a good idea *with* variable package names.

It would also save me a fair bit of work in emdebian-tools where I'm
always querying the source package name and various other components of
the parsechangelog output.

Neil Williams

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

iD8DBQFHTUlqiAEJSii8s+MRAlulAJ4nKzMOVOEaJvqWnyygYP ma40Po6ACbBluS