System crash caused by the powernow-k8 kernel module - Debian

This is a discussion on System crash caused by the powernow-k8 kernel module - Debian ; Hi, I'm having Debian GNU/Linux installed on my workstation with AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 4800+ (actually 2.5GHz). From the very beginning after the install I was getting multiple system freezes. This happens with both linux images from unstable (2.6.22-3-amd64) and ...

  1. System crash caused by the powernow-k8 kernel module

    Hi,

    I'm having Debian GNU/Linux installed on my workstation with AMD
    Athlon(tm) 64 X2 4800+ (actually 2.5GHz). From the very beginning after
    the install I was getting multiple system freezes. This happens with
    both linux images from unstable (2.6.22-3-amd64) and testing
    (2.6.22-2-amd64).

    Recently I've found that is caused by the powernow-k8 kernel module. I
    can reproduce the problem easily by activating the 'Cool n Quiet'
    option in the BIOS and just reboot the system. The freeze usually
    happens after I'm logged in the X session probably when the load is
    growing.

    As a temporary workaround I've blacklisted the powernow-k8 module and
    no more system freezes.

    I would like to fill a bug report but I'm afraid I don't have enough
    useful information to give. Can you tell me how can I debug a kernel
    panic/crash?

    Thanks for your help.

  2. Re: System crash caused by the powernow-k8 kernel module

    Teodor,

    You could set your machine up for serial console and connect another
    machine to capture the messages it generates during the crash.

    Sometimes the most useful messages are not logged to syslog but only to
    the console.

    modinfo powernow-k8 on my machine does not show any parms for debugging.
    Some modules can be loaded with a debug option enabled.

    Cheers,

    Daniel

    On Sat, 2007-11-24 at 20:21 +0200, Teodor wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm having Debian GNU/Linux installed on my workstation with AMD
    > Athlon(tm) 64 X2 4800+ (actually 2.5GHz). From the very beginning after
    > the install I was getting multiple system freezes. This happens with
    > both linux images from unstable (2.6.22-3-amd64) and testing
    > (2.6.22-2-amd64).
    >
    > Recently I've found that is caused by the powernow-k8 kernel module. I
    > can reproduce the problem easily by activating the 'Cool n Quiet'
    > option in the BIOS and just reboot the system. The freeze usually
    > happens after I'm logged in the X session probably when the load is
    > growing.
    >
    > As a temporary workaround I've blacklisted the powernow-k8 module and
    > no more system freezes.
    >
    > I would like to fill a bug report but I'm afraid I don't have enough
    > useful information to give. Can you tell me how can I debug a kernel
    > panic/crash?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

  3. Re: System crash caused by the powernow-k8 kernel module

    On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 11:11:14PM +0200, Teodor wrote:
    > On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 22:33:30 +0900
    > Mattia Dongili wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 10:34:53AM +0100, Daniel van Eeden wrote:
    > > > modinfo powernow-k8 on my machine does not show any parms for
    > > > debugging. Some modules can be loaded with a debug option enabled.

    > > booting with cpufreq.debug=7 should enable (a lot) more messages.

    > This is what is shows in the boot log:
    >
    > Dec 2 23:03:33 piti kernel: Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda1 ro
    > quiet vga=791 panic=20 cpufreq.debug=7 Dec 2 23:03:33 piti kernel:
    > Unknown boot option `cpufreq.debug=7': ignoring
    >
    > Where else should I try to add this parameter?

    sorry for the very late reply, you need
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG=y
    to be able to use the aforementioned parameter

    cheers
    --
    mattia
    :wq!

  4. Re: System crash caused by the powernow-k8 kernel module

    Guys,

    I have experienced this crash as well. If you need any additional information, please let me know. I'd love to be able to help.

    I'm using Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon AMD64:

    Linux cruise 2.6.22-14-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Tue Dec 18 06:37:06 UTC 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

    Daze

+ Reply to Thread