iPod Nano read errors - Debian

This is a discussion on iPod Nano read errors - Debian ; On a Debian Etch 2.6.18-5-686 #1 SMP i686 machine using USB connection and gtkpod version 0.99.4. I have been able to access the device in Nautilus and gtkpod, browse folders, see the MP3 songs and even play them, it seems, ...

  1. iPod Nano read errors

    On a Debian Etch 2.6.18-5-686 #1 SMP i686 machine using USB connection
    and gtkpod version 0.99.4.

    I have been able to access the device in Nautilus and gtkpod, browse folders,
    see the MP3 songs and even play them, it seems, directly from the iPod. But,
    there are no "files" to be read by the Nano when looking under the "Music"
    folder of the device.

    I have gotten these pieces of information from /var/log/* for your study,
    remark and suggestions:

    dmesg
    usb 1-8: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 16
    usb 1-8: configuration #1 chosen from 2 choices
    usb-storage: device found at 16
    usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
    Vendor: Apple Model: iPod Rev: 1.62
    SCSI device sdb: 950209 4096-byte hdwr sectors (3892 MB)
    sdb: Write Protect is off
    sdb: Mode Sense: 68 00 00 08
    sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
    SCSI device sdb: 950209 4096-byte hdwr sectors (3892 MB)
    sdb: Write Protect is off
    sdb: Mode Sense: 68 00 00 08
    sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
    sdb: sdb1 sd 12:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdb
    usb-storage: device scan complete
    FAT: utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems, filesystem
    will be case sensitive!

    /var/log/syslog
    Nov 23 18:57:37 sk8r kernel: FAT: utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for
    FAT filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!

    /var/log/messages

    Nov 23 18:05:40 sk8r kernel: usb 1-8: USB disconnect, address 5
    Nov 23 18:05:40 sk8r kernel: lost page write due to I/O error on sdb2
    Nov 23 18:05:40 sk8r kernel: lost page write due to I/O error on sdb2
    Nov 23 18:51:50 sk8r kernel: lost page write due to I/O error on sdb1

    and

    Nov 23 18:28:52 sk8r kernel: sd 8:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdb
    Nov 23 18:36:02 sk8r kernel: usb 1-8: USB disconnect, address 12
    Nov 23 18:36:02 sk8r kernel: sdb : READ CAPACITY failed.
    Nov 23 18:36:02 sk8r kernel: sdb : status=0, message=00, host=1, driver=00
    Nov 23 18:36:02 sk8r kernel: sdb : sense not available.
    Nov 23 18:36:02 sk8r kernel: sdb: Write Protect is off
    Nov 23 18:36:02 sk8r kernel: sdb : READ CAPACITY failed.
    Nov 23 18:36:02 sk8r kernel: sdb : status=0, message=00, host=1, driver=00
    Nov 23 18:36:02 sk8r kernel: sdb : sense not available.
    Nov 23 18:36:02 sk8r kernel: sdb: Write Protect is off
    Nov 23 18:36:02 sk8r kernel: sdb:<3>scsi 8:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
    Nov 23 18:36:02 sk8r kernel: unable to read partition table
    Nov 23 18:36:42 sk8r kernel: usb 1-8: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd
    and address 13
    Nov 23 18:36:42 sk8r kernel: usb 1-8: configuration #1 chosen from 2 choices
    Nov 23 18:36:42 sk8r kernel: scsi9 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices

    What is needed to correct this situation?

    Thank you for your help!
    --
    sk8r-365
    The U.S. government is destroying our freedoms daily

  2. Re: iPod Nano read errors

    Horton heard a Who named Michael Perry saying:
    > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 20:55:12 -0600, sk8r-365 wrote:
    >> Horton heard a Who named sk8r-365 saying:
    >>> On a Debian Etch 2.6.18-5-686 #1 SMP i686 machine using USB connection
    >>> and gtkpod version 0.99.4.
    >>>
    >>> I have been able to access the device in Nautilus and gtkpod, browse folders,
    >>> see the MP3 songs and even play them, it seems, directly from the iPod. But,
    >>> there are no "files" to be read by the Nano when looking under the "Music"
    >>> folder of the device.

    >> Think the answer is a big NO-GO - wife found this information from
    >> http://tinyurl.com/2d5vlm:
    >>

    > I have one additional suggestion that may or may not work. How about if
    > the ipod is placed in disk mode? You could also do this if not. You
    > could get things working on Windows

    Thanks for your time. I have nothing with MS on it.

    Here's what I did. Bought a Sansa Connect (SDMX8N-4096K-EA70W) from
    SanDisk after getting a refund for the iPod. It uses MTP but that's not
    available on Debian Etch. Instead, I booted Ubuntu 7.10, added MP3
    support by mounting my local /home and clicking a MP3, then OK'd the
    additional support. Next, I opened Rhythmbox and ticked the plug-in box
    for players using MTP. Following that, I copied a limited MB of music to
    the /Ubuntu/Music folder temporary OS environment. Opened Rhythmbox,
    plugged in and turned on the Sansa, drag and dropped files within
    Rhythmbox GUI to the Sansa until that course completed moving what I
    wanted over. I deleted the MB of files as I went and as needed - not
    sent to the Trash - to fulfill my goals in the limited environment.

    I realize I could have put Ubuntu on board, but this Debian Etch is what
    I want, have set up as I desire, and it's a stable release as opposed to
    Ubuntu being essentially, well, otherwise.

    --
    sk8r-365
    The U.S. government is destroying our freedoms daily
    but are themselves enjoying "liberties" at our expense!

+ Reply to Thread