libFOO-BAR naming convention - Debian

This is a discussion on libFOO-BAR naming convention - Debian ; I vaguely recall seeing a recommendation for library packages for a particular language to follow libFOO-BAR naming convention in Debian, where FOO is the name of a library, and BAR is an arbitrary common suffix (thus, liberror-perl, or libsqlite-ocaml.) Could ...

  1. libFOO-BAR naming convention

    I vaguely recall seeing a recommendation for library packages
    for a particular language to follow libFOO-BAR naming convention
    in Debian, where FOO is the name of a library, and BAR is an
    arbitrary common suffix (thus, liberror-perl, or
    libsqlite-ocaml.)

    Could one point me to where this recommendation is given?

  2. Re: libFOO-BAR naming convention

    Hi Ivan,
    * Ivan Shmakov [2007-11-23 14:57]:
    > I vaguely recall seeing a recommendation for library packages
    > for a particular language to follow libFOO-BAR naming convention
    > in Debian, where FOO is the name of a library, and BAR is an
    > arbitrary common suffix (thus, liberror-perl, or
    > libsqlite-ocaml.)
    >
    > Could one point me to where this recommendation is given?

    http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/col...l#naminglibpkg
    Kind regards
    Nico
    --
    Nico Golde - http://www.ngolde.de - nion@jabber.ccc.de - GPG: 0x73647CFF

  3. RE: libFOO-BAR naming convention

    Hello,

    > I vaguely recall seeing a recommendation for library packages
    > for a particular language to follow libFOO-BAR naming convention
    > in Debian, where FOO is the name of a library, and BAR is an
    > arbitrary common suffix (thus, liberror-perl, or
    > libsqlite-ocaml.)
    >
    > Could one point me to where this recommendation is given?

    In the perl policy document[0] it states:

    "Perl module packages should be named for the primary module provided.
    The naming convention for module Foo::Bar is libfoo-bar-perl. Packages
    which include multiple modules may additionally include provides for
    those modules using the same convention."

    HTH

    Jeremiah

    [0]
    http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-...-module_packag
    es.html#s-package_names

  4. Re: libFOO-BAR naming convention

    On Fri, Nov 23, 2007, Ivan Shmakov wrote:
    > I vaguely recall seeing a recommendation for library packages
    > for a particular language to follow libFOO-BAR naming convention
    > in Debian, where FOO is the name of a library, and BAR is an
    > arbitrary common suffix (thus, liberror-perl, or
    > libsqlite-ocaml.)

    This depends on the language; chech the sub-policy for each language --
    unless you're preparing packages for a new language? e.g. perl and
    java will use *-perl and *-java, but python notably uses python-*
    obviously.

    --
    Loc Minier

  5. Re: libFOO-BAR naming convention

    >> I vaguely recall seeing a recommendation for library packages for a
    >> particular language to follow libFOO-BAR naming convention in
    >> Debian, where FOO is the name of a library, and BAR is an arbitrary
    >> common suffix (thus, liberror-perl, or libsqlite-ocaml.)

    > This depends on the language; chech the sub-policy for each
    > language -- unless you're preparing packages for a new language?

    Sort of. I'm planning to spend some time preparing Debian
    packages for Chicken extensions.

    > e.g. perl and java will use *-perl and *-java, but python notably
    > uses python-* obviously.

    Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread