MOV to kino approved format - Debian

This is a discussion on MOV to kino approved format - Debian ; Have this great digital camera which makes *only* MOV format movies. I want to convert them to a file format kino can use (PAL, NTSC). However, after many hours scouring the Web, I've found no useful means to do so ...

  1. MOV to kino approved format

    Have this great digital camera which makes *only* MOV format movies. I
    want to convert them to a file format kino can use (PAL, NTSC). However,
    after many hours scouring the Web, I've found no useful means to do so
    on Debian Etch.

    I'm open to FOSS suggestions suitable for use on Debian Etch
    - tried WinFF (.31-i386 on an Athlon CPU), but it fails whenever
    I clicked the 'Add" button:

    GTKWindowStateEventCB :TPromptDialog new_window_state=0 changed_mask=1
    GTKWindowStateEventCB :TPromptDialog 0 [RMVDStPr]
    TGtk2WSCustomListBox.SetBorder TODO
    GTKWindowStateEventCB Form1:TForm1 new_window_state=0 changed_mask=1
    GTKWindowStateEventCB Form1:TForm1 0 [RMVDStPr]
    GTKWindowStateEventCB :TPromptDialog new_window_state=0 changed_mask=1
    GTKWindowStateEventCB :TPromptDialog 0 [RMVDStPr]
    TApplication.HandleException Invalid floating point operation
    Stack trace:
    $B77AD6AE
    $B77BD826
    $B77B4104
    $B77AEBF3
    $B77A9D92
    $B7218330
    $B721383E
    $B720974B
    $B720C1CE
    $B720CC66
    $B720C1CE
    $B72188D8
    $B7218E01
    $B7218ED3
    $B722AC17
    $B7E1B82D
    $B7E1C801

    Thank you!
    --
    sk8r-365
    The U.S. government is destroying our freedoms daily

  2. Re: MOV to kino approved format

    On 2007-11-23, sk8r-365 wrote:
    > Have this great digital camera which makes *only* MOV format movies. I
    > want to convert them to a file format kino can use (PAL, NTSC). However,
    > after many hours scouring the Web, I've found no useful means to do so
    > on Debian Etch.

    I guess you want to convert from .mov to .avi? I am not familiar with
    kino but a quick look at the web site seems to indicate it will work
    with avi.

    mplayer should do this but I don't know what sort of codecs are
    shipped with Debian. Might be better to use the svn mplayer and the
    codecs from mplayer:

    svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/rele...071007.tar.bz2

    It can be a tricky compile though; my experiences in my sig file.

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew's Corner: "For the God Who Sings"
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/ftgws.html

  3. Re: MOV to kino approved format

    sk8r-365 wrote:
    > Have this great digital camera which makes *only* MOV format movies. I
    > want to convert them to a file format kino can use (PAL, NTSC). However,
    > after many hours scouring the Web, I've found no useful means to do so
    > on Debian Etch.

    look at transcode and/or mencoder (mplayer).

    --

    //Aho

  4. Re: MOV to kino approved format

    Horton heard a Who named andrew saying:

    > I guess you want to convert from .mov to .avi? I am not familiar with
    > kino but a quick look at the web site seems to indicate it will work
    > with avi.
    >
    > mplayer should do this but I don't know what sort of codecs are
    > shipped with Debian. Might be better to use the svn mplayer and the
    > codecs from mplayer:

    Andrew,
    Appreciate that you answered and your reply indirectly assisted in
    finding a solution:

    using this script from http://en.linuxreviews.org/MPlayer

    How to convert a directory full of Apple Quicktime .mov files to avi and mp3

    for fl in *.mov
    do
    mencoder ${fl} -o ${fl/mov/avi} -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc
    mplayer -ao pcm -vo null -vc dummy -dumpaudio -dumpfile ${fl/mov/mp3} ${fl/mov/avi}
    #rm ${fl/mov/avi} <-- don't want to rm original
    done

    Thanks to Gunnar Wrobel !

    And, by following these instructions from http://wiki.debian.org/MPlayer
    I added mplayer and mencoder. Plus, because the camera uses capital
    letters in the file extension, it was necessary to rename them to lower
    case for the script.

    --
    sk8r-365
    The U.S. government is destroying our freedoms daily
    but are themselves enjoying "liberties" at our expense!

  5. Re: MOV to kino approved format

    On 2007-11-23, sk8r-365 wrote:
    > Horton heard a Who named andrew saying:

    [...]

    > Appreciate that you answered and your reply indirectly assisted in
    > finding a solution:

    [...]

    > And, by following these instructions from http://wiki.debian.org/MPlayer
    > I added mplayer and mencoder. Plus, because the camera uses capital
    > letters in the file extension, it was necessary to rename them to lower
    > case for the script.

    Excellent! Glad you found a solution fairly quickly. The mplayer saga
    is not confined to Debian, thanks for the link where I read a little
    more carefully the Debian angle.

    Mind you if you ever become addicted to mplayer / mencoder / gmplayer
    don't forget that the svn mplayer is the version as the makers
    intended and it is truly a wonderful piece of work. In its unretouched
    form it will probably never feature in a major distro though. Can be a
    bit of a bugger to compile: I wrote a walkthrough for Ubuntu
    before I moved to Slackware that may have some relevance to Debian:

    All the very best,

    Andrew

    --
    Now I can praise him, now that I can stand by to mourn
    and speak before this web that killed my father; yet

+ Reply to Thread