Strange hard disk problem - Debian

This is a discussion on Strange hard disk problem - Debian ; Hi list, I have a dell vostro 1400, few months ago i've installed Ubuntu Gutsy because my laptop works only with it. Today i've retried to install debian lenny/sid with netinst cd and now it runs, piix module succesfully works ...

  1. Strange hard disk problem

    Hi list,
    I have a dell vostro 1400, few months ago i've installed Ubuntu Gutsy because
    my laptop works only with it.
    Today i've retried to install debian lenny/sid with netinst cd and now it
    runs, piix module succesfully works and network interface now works
    out-of-the-box, but partman doesn't recognize the partition on my hard drive,
    but it have 6 partition (2 for recovery, 1 for windows and 3 for linux) and
    ubuntu works fine.
    I like kde rather than gnome and i tried to install kubuntu Gutsy but it have
    the same problem!!!(i've tried both alternate and desktop cd).

    any suggestions?

    Thanks to all and sorry for my little english.

    --
    |_|O|_| Andrea Ferraresi
    |_|_|O| KeyFP= CFE7 223E EB7A E729 9675 BA93 5152 C043 3817 D93A

  2. Re: Strange hard disk problem

    On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 09:36:31PM +0100, Andrea Ferraresi wrote:
    > out-of-the-box, but partman doesn't recognize the partition on my hard drive,
    > but it have 6 partition (2 for recovery, 1 for windows and 3 for linux) and

    try fdisk/cfdisk/sfdisk. Recovery partitions are often specially setup to
    (try to) hide from part.man. prgs to avoid deletion.
    afaict Acer's nbooks often show such 'feature' as well.

    --
    paolo

  3. Re: [Solved] Strange hard disk problem

    On Monday 19 November 2007 11:58:48 pm Paolo wrote:
    > On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 09:36:31PM +0100, Andrea Ferraresi wrote:
    > > out-of-the-box, but partman doesn't recognize the partition on my hard
    > > drive, but it have 6 partition (2 for recovery, 1 for windows and 3 for
    > > linux) and

    > try fdisk/cfdisk/sfdisk. Recovery partitions are often specially setup to
    > (try to) hide from part.man. prgs to avoid deletion.
    > afaict Acer's nbooks often show such 'feature' as well.

    I've tried with testdisk the only way to recovery is the format and
    reinstallation. The problem may be caused by gparted the version on the
    unstable version of gutsy (Tribe 5).
    Now the system works correctly.

    Thank You

    --
    |_|O|_| Andrea Ferraresi
    |_|_|O| KeyFP= CFE7 223E EB7A E729 9675 BA93 5152 C043 3817 D93A

+ Reply to Thread