How to choose default application - Debian

This is a discussion on How to choose default application - Debian ; Hi all, Debian Etch Gnome I deleted my PDF viewer because it crashed on some PDF files. Now I installed a some other viewers which work better. The problem is now that when I browse to a website with a ...

  1. How to choose default application

    Hi all,

    Debian Etch Gnome

    I deleted my PDF viewer because it crashed on some
    PDF files. Now I installed a some other viewers
    which work better. The problem is now that when
    I browse to a website with a PDF file openoffice-draw
    is trying to open that PDF file but it can't.

    How do I make KPDF the default program to open PDF
    files?

    Thanks

  2. Re: How to choose default application

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:02:34 +0000, Edmund wrote:

    > How do I make KPDF the default program to open PDF
    > files?

    You need to look at 'File Associations' in the 'KDE Components' section of
    the 'KDE Control Centre'. There may already be some applications listed,
    but you may have to resort them, or add others.

    --
    Regards _
    / ) "The blindingly obvious is

    The man in a tracksuit attacks me
    I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs

  3. Re: How to choose default application

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:32:27 +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:02:34 +0000, Edmund wrote:
    >
    >> How do I make KPDF the default program to open PDF
    >> files?

    > You need to look at 'File Associations' in the 'KDE Components' section of
    > the 'KDE Control Centre'. There may already be some applications listed,
    > but you may have to resort them, or add others.

    Thanks for helping Brad but I use Gnome and I
    connot find any of the things you mention.
    I don't see "File Associations" "Gnome Components"
    or "Gnome Control Centre" either.

    Edmund

  4. Re: How to choose default application

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:02:34 +0000, Edmund wrote:

    > How do I make KPDF the default program to open PDF
    > files?

    Menu-click on a PDF file and see what options you have.

  5. Re: How to choose default application

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:31:50 +0000, Edmund wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:32:27 +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:02:34 +0000, Edmund wrote:
    >>
    >>> How do I make KPDF the default program to open PDF files?

    >> You need to look at 'File Associations' in the 'KDE Components' section
    >> of the 'KDE Control Centre'. There may already be some applications
    >> listed, but you may have to resort them, or add others.

    > Thanks for helping Brad but I use Gnome and I connot find any of the
    > things you mention. I don't see "File Associations" "Gnome Components"
    > or "Gnome Control Centre" either.

    right-click on application; properties; "open with" tab.

    --
    Jeremy Boden
    "64 bits good, 32 bits bad"

  6. Re: How to choose default application

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:10:24 +0000, Jeremy Boden wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:31:50 +0000, Edmund wrote:

    >>> You need to look at 'File Associations' in the 'KDE Components'
    >>> section of the 'KDE Control Centre'. There may already be some
    >>> applications listed, but you may have to resort them, or add others.

    >> Thanks for helping Brad but I use Gnome and I connot find any of the
    >> things you mention. I don't see "File Associations" "Gnome Components"
    >> or "Gnome Control Centre" either.
    >>

    > right-click on application; properties; "open with" tab.

    CORRECTION!
    right-click on file (in nautilus); properties; "open with" tab.

    --
    Jeremy Boden
    "64 bits good, 32 bits bad"

  7. Re: How to choose default application

    >> right-click on application; properties; "open with" tab.

    > CORRECTION!
    > right-click on file (in nautilus); properties; "open with" tab.

    This works, thank you.

    Edmund

  8. Re: How to choose default application

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:03:09 +0100, Mark South wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:02:34 +0000, Edmund wrote:
    >
    >> How do I make KPDF the default program to open PDF
    >> files?

    > Menu-click on a PDF file and see what options you have.

    I had to go under properties, now it works, thans.

    Edmund

  9. Re: How to choose default application

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:31:50 +0000, Edmund wrote:

    > Thanks for helping Brad but I use Gnome and I
    > connot find any of the things you mention.
    > I don't see "File Associations" "Gnome Components"
    > or "Gnome Control Centre" either.

    You won't, I m afraid. I assumed, wrongly, that as you mentioned kpdf you
    are using KDE.

    That aside, I see Jeremy has offered a solution for Gnome.

    --
    Regards _
    / ) "The blindingly obvious is
    / _)rad never immediately apparent"

    I must be hallucinating, watching angels celebrating
    There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart) - Eurythmics

  10. Re: How to choose default application

    On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 19:18:13 +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:31:50 +0000, Edmund wrote:
    >

    > That aside, I see Jeremy has offered a solution for Gnome.

    Yep I am fine thanks anyway.

    Edmund

+ Reply to Thread