Contents-source.gz - Debian

This is a discussion on Contents-source.gz - Debian ; Hi, I'm wondering whether having a Contents-source.gz file on the mirrors would be interesting. p.d.o could also be updated so as to support the search through the “Source” architecture. apt-file could also use such data. Use case: when discovering a ...

  1. Contents-source.gz

    Hi,

    I'm wondering whether having a Contents-source.gz file on the mirrors
    would be interesting. p.d.o could also be updated so as to support the
    search through the “Source” architecture. apt-file could also use such
    data.

    Use case: when discovering a bug in a given file (e.g. a header, an m4
    or a pkg-config file), one could easily search for other source packages
    including it, to spot possible bogus packages (e.g. FTBFSing in some
    circumstances).

    That might be particularly useful when working on security issues: given
    a work-needing file, one could search for possible copies in other
    source packages, which might not been known as embedding a copy of the
    responsible library/file.

    Another application could be searching the source packages for files
    matching a given pattern, so as to determine which source packages
    contain a given library, or files written in a given language (if one
    can trust the extension enough).

    Comment welcome.

    Cheers,

    --
    Cyril Brulebois

  2. Re: Contents-source.gz

    Am 2007-11-17 13:25:28, schrieb Cyril Brulebois:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm wondering whether having a Contents-source.gz file on the mirrors
    > would be interesting. p.d.o could also be updated so as to support the
    > search through the “Source” architecture. apt-file could also use such
    > data.

    But you know, that sources have 100 times more files as the binaries?

    Which would result in a Contents-source.gz of over one GByte.

    Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Open Hardware Developer
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

    Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
    50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi
    0033/6/61925193 67100 Strasbourg/France IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

  3. Re: Contents-source.gz

    Michelle Konzack wrote:
    > Am 2007-11-17 13:25:28, schrieb Cyril Brulebois:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm wondering whether having a Contents-source.gz file on the mirrors
    >> would be interesting. p.d.o could also be updated so as to support the
    >> search through the “Source” architecture. apt-file could also use such
    >> data.

    > But you know, that sources have 100 times more files as the binaries?
    >
    > Which would result in a Contents-source.gz of over one GByte.

    So what? Space is cheap these days.

    But instead of a Contents-source.gz I'd find a Koders-like search trough
    all sources much more interesting, especially if it comes with a way to
    retrieve diffs between releases or uploads.

    /me goes and puts Debian into git.

    --
    Bernd Zeimetz

  4. Re: Contents-source.gz

    On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 10:38:51PM +0100, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
    > So what? Space is cheap these days.

    Contrary to popular belief, space will never become free.

    --
    Home is where you have to wash the dishes.
    -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22