dual head support for Dell Latitude D630 - Debian

This is a discussion on dual head support for Dell Latitude D630 - Debian ; Hello all, I've been trying to get my Dell Latitude D630 with an Intel graphics controller to display on an external monitor. I did manage to get it to display the same as on the laptop but am told I ...

  1. dual head support for Dell Latitude D630

    Hello all,

    I've been trying to get my Dell Latitude D630 with an Intel graphics
    controller to display on an external monitor. I did manage to get it
    to display the same as on the laptop but am told I can have the
    external monitor display a separate desktop to the one visible on the
    laptop (either with or without xinerama support is fine with me).

    Can anybody help? I have attached my current xorg.conf file which
    is based on one I found on the 'net.

    Some detailed information follows below.

    Finally, it may help somebody out there to know about one problem I
    did manage to solve. Although X was running perfectly fine all along
    (once I installed the 915resolution package), I could never switch to
    a text virtual console (C-A-Fn) once X had started. Switching led to a
    greenish display. Although nothing was visible, the console was
    actually active and I could type blind... I could also get back to the
    X system by A-F7.

    In looking for a solution to the dual head display problem, I ran
    across a solution to this problem: simply add the option 'vga=0x318'
    to the boot kernel parameters.

    Thanks,
    eric

    ---------------------- details -----------------------
    Xorg.0.log file extract for device:

    Device "Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller"

    My system is running Debian stable:

    $ uname -a
    Linux xxx 2.6.18-5-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Oct 2 20:37:02 UTC 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

    Possibly relevant 'lscpi -v' output:

    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile Integrated Graphics
    Controller (rev 0c) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 01f9
    Memory at fea00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
    Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    I/O ports at efe8 [size=8]
    Capabilities:

    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile Integrated Graphics Control
    ler (rev 0c)
    Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 01f9
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Memory at feb00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
    Capabilities:

    --
    MC . -.. --- - ..-. .-. .- --. .- .- - ..- -.-. .-.. .- -.-. ..- -.-
    NL Professor Eric S Fraga, Chemical Engineering, University College London

  2. Re: dual head support for Dell Latitude D630

    At Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:36:17 +0000, I wrote:
    > Can anybody help? I have attached my current xorg.conf file which
    > is based on one I found on the 'net.

    I guess it would help if I had actually attached the file... sigh.

    eric

  3. Re: [SOLVED] dual head support for Dell Latitude D630

    At Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:36:17 +0000, I wrote:
    > I've been trying to get my Dell Latitude D630 with an Intel graphics
    > controller to display on an external monitor. I did manage to get it
    > to display the same as on the laptop but am told I can have the
    > external monitor display a separate desktop to the one visible on the
    > laptop (either with or without xinerama support is fine with me).

    Just to let you all know that I have solved this problem. After a lot
    of web searching (and I mean A LOT) over the weekend, I discovered
    that the i810 and vesa drivers available in Debian stable simply do
    not provide dual head support for the i945 graphics processor. In
    fact, the i810 driver just doesn't work on this graphics processor.

    The solution was to switch to Debian testing (lenny), something which
    I had hoped to avoid as all my other systems run stable and will
    remain as such (they are production systems). Running two different
    versions of the OS is not an issue but having all the tools I use
    day-in day-out be at different stages in their evolution can sometimes
    be frustrating. However, more frustrating is not being able to use the
    system I have to its full capability!

    In lenny, there is a new 'intel' driver for Xorg which works perfectly
    out of the box, even not requiring use of the 915resolution. In
    combination with xinerama and xrandr, I have everything I need (and
    more!). Very impressive actually!

    Thanks to all who may have pondered possible solutions to my problem!

    cheers,
    eric