Pbuilder loads a lot of texlive fonts - Debian

This is a discussion on Pbuilder loads a lot of texlive fonts - Debian ; Hi, a package of mine has the Build-Depends: texlive-latex-base, texlive-latex-recommended, texlive-fonts-recommended which leads to the fact that pbuilder installs texlive-lang-croatian texlive-lang-cyrillic texlive-lang-czechslovak texlive-lang-danish texlive-lang-dutch texlive-lang-finnish texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-german texlive-lang-greek texlive-lang-hungarian texlive-lang-italian texlive-lang-latin texlive-lang-mongolian texlive-lang-norwegian texlive-lang-other texlive-lang-polish texlive-lang-portuguese texlive-lang-spanish texlive-lang-swedish texlive-lang-vietnamese I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Pbuilder loads a lot of texlive fonts

  1. Pbuilder loads a lot of texlive fonts

    Hi,

    a package of mine has the Build-Depends:

    texlive-latex-base, texlive-latex-recommended, texlive-fonts-recommended

    which leads to the fact that pbuilder installs

    texlive-lang-croatian texlive-lang-cyrillic
    texlive-lang-czechslovak texlive-lang-danish texlive-lang-dutch
    texlive-lang-finnish texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-german
    texlive-lang-greek texlive-lang-hungarian texlive-lang-italian
    texlive-lang-latin texlive-lang-mongolian texlive-lang-norwegian
    texlive-lang-other texlive-lang-polish texlive-lang-portuguese
    texlive-lang-spanish texlive-lang-swedish texlive-lang-vietnamese

    I would like to stop this overkill because it is a pure waste of
    bandwidth but I have not even an idea why this happens, because
    I do not find these packages in the list of Recommens. Did I
    missed something?

    Kind regards

    Andreas.

    --
    http://fam-tille.de


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

  2. Re: Pbuilder loads a lot of texlive fonts

    On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 04:12:57PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
    > I would like to stop this overkill because it is a pure waste of
    > bandwidth but I have not even an idea why this happens, because
    > I do not find these packages in the list of Recommens. Did I
    > missed something?


    I noticed this as well and sent a mail about it to the Tex list[0] but
    Riku's blog post[1] was a good hint. After turning off automatic
    installation of Recommends, the packages are no longer installed. I
    didn't take the time to look into what was Recommending the packages,
    though.

    James
    [0] - http://lists.debian.org/debian-tex-m.../msg00006.html
    [1] - http://nchip.livejournal.com/11175.html
    --
    GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

    iEYEARECAAYFAkcx2WIACgkQDb3UpmEybUBJfQCdEGCEcLz7+i GvliiFVYgfVefu
    e6kAn0gk7zdUiTzsOCNyFe74s6Z1NyYr
    =/aON
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  3. Re: Pbuilder loads a lot of texlive fonts

    On Wed, 7 Nov 2007, James Vega wrote:

    > Riku's blog post[1] was a good hint.


    I seem to be too stupid to find relevant information at this link.
    (Seems to witness my theory that blog only information tends to get
    lost in space.)

    > After turning off automatic
    > installation of Recommends, the packages are no longer installed. I
    > didn't take the time to look into what was Recommending the packages,
    > though.


    Uhmmm, I was definitely positive that pbuilder only installs Depends
    per default. Why should Recommends be installed in an as small as
    possible build environment. I would regards this as important
    pbuilder bug. Ahhh - I'm not alone with this thought (#448562).

    Kind regards

    Andreas.

    > [1] - http://nchip.livejournal.com/11175.html


    --
    http://fam-tille.de


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

  4. Re: Pbuilder loads a lot of texlive fonts

    Andreas Tille wrote:

    > I would like to stop this overkill because it is a pure waste of
    > bandwidth but I have not even an idea why this happens, because
    > I do not find these packages in the list of Recommens.


    You might find debtree useful: http://alioth.debian.org/~fjp/debtree/

    --

    Felipe Sateler


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

  5. Re: Pbuilder loads a lot of texlive fonts

    I heard apt-get now installs Recommends by default. Never noticed it myself
    yet, but if it does, I guess pbuilder will start now as well... any thoughts?

    - Lawrence
    Not A DD

    On November 7, 2007 12:43:21 pm Andreas Tille wrote:
    > On Wed, 7 Nov 2007, James Vega wrote:
    > > Riku's blog post[1] was a good hint.

    >
    > I seem to be too stupid to find relevant information at this link.
    > (Seems to witness my theory that blog only information tends to get
    > lost in space.)
    >
    > > After turning off automatic
    > > installation of Recommends, the packages are no longer installed. I
    > > didn't take the time to look into what was Recommending the packages,
    > > though.

    >
    > Uhmmm, I was definitely positive that pbuilder only installs Depends
    > per default. Why should Recommends be installed in an as small as
    > possible build environment. I would regards this as important
    > pbuilder bug. Ahhh - I'm not alone with this thought (#448562).
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > Andreas.
    >
    > > [1] - http://nchip.livejournal.com/11175.html

    >
    > --
    > http://fam-tille.de




    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

  6. Re: Pbuilder loads a lot of texlive fonts

    lawrence (07/11/2007):
    > I heard apt-get now installs Recommends by default. Never noticed it
    > myself yet, but if it does, I guess pbuilder will start now as well...
    > any thoughts?


    Announced [1]. Delayed, but activated in apt/0.7.7, uploaded 2007-10-23.

    1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel.../msg00000.html

    Hopefully, the upcoming triggers in dpkg will help speed up texlive*
    installation by running mktexlsr and friends only once.

    --
    Cyril Brulebois

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFHMfDweGfVPHR5Nd0RAifRAJ93rS600M7sE1URWHrGoV y9gUaT7wCfdIty
    /RqrdcWUHkU9cW5sn/DkuMc=
    =zw8l
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  7. Re: Pbuilder loads a lot of texlive fonts

    Hello!

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 18:08:01 +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
    > lawrence (07/11/2007):
    >> I heard apt-get now installs Recommends by default. Never noticed
    >> it myself yet, but if it does, I guess pbuilder will start now as
    >> well... any thoughts?

    >
    > Announced [1]. Delayed, but activated in apt/0.7.7, uploaded
    > 2007-10-23.
    >
    > 1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel.../msg00000.html
    >
    > Hopefully, the upcoming triggers in dpkg will help speed up texlive*
    > installation by running mktexlsr and friends only once.


    But I think the point still remains: I'm not a TeX expert, but if a
    package foo depends on a font provided by texlive-lang-italian, foo
    must depends on texlive-lang-italian. If I forgot this dependency and
    then I build the package on a clean pbuilder, the bug won't appear,
    because texlive-lang-italian is installed because it's recommended.

    So, from my very simple POV, pbuilder shouldn't install Recommends by
    default, which seems to be what Junichi will do in the next pbuilder
    upgrade [1].

    Thx, bye,
    Gismo / Luca

    Footnotes:
    [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugre...?bug=448562#48


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

  8. Building with or without Recommends.

    Le Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 07:52:05PM +0100, Luca Capello a écrit :
    > > lawrence (07/11/2007):
    > >> I heard apt-get now installs Recommends by default. Never noticed
    > >> it myself yet, but if it does, I guess pbuilder will start now as
    > >> well... any thoughts?

    >
    > So, from my very simple POV, pbuilder shouldn't install Recommends by
    > default, which seems to be what Junichi will do in the next pbuilder
    > upgrade [1].


    Hi,

    By the way, what is the planned behavior of the official buildds in the
    future: installing recommends or not ?

    Have a nice day,

    --
    Charles Plessy
    http://charles.plessy.org
    Wako, Saitama, Japan


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

  9. Re: Building with or without Recommends.

    On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 09:08:09AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
    > Le Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 07:52:05PM +0100, Luca Capello a écrit :
    > > > lawrence (07/11/2007):
    > > >> I heard apt-get now installs Recommends by default. Never noticed
    > > >> it myself yet, but if it does, I guess pbuilder will start now as
    > > >> well... any thoughts?


    > > So, from my very simple POV, pbuilder shouldn't install Recommends by
    > > default, which seems to be what Junichi will do in the next pbuilder
    > > upgrade [1].


    > By the way, what is the planned behavior of the official buildds in the
    > future: installing recommends or not ?


    Although I don't remember seeing it discussed, I expect the buildds to
    continue to not install recommends, on the grounds that if you need any of
    those recommends in order to build your package they rightly belong as
    Build-Depends instead.

    --
    Steve Langasek Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
    Debian Developer to set it on, and I can move the world.
    vorlon@debian.org http://www.debian.org/


    --
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

+ Reply to Thread